How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derricks?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Which solution do you like the most?

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2012, 14:31

Allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up. (May only work if no enemy trucks are currently working on building the structure.)
14%
Allow trucks to demolish enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) while no enemy trucks are working on them. (The rate at when they're demolished may be reduced for enemy structures.)
9%
Reducing the time that oil wells burn in proportion to how complete the derrick was upon destruction (meaning that, if the derrick was only slightly built, then the well would be on fire for like only 1 second).
18%
Only set the well on fire if the derrick was already completed when it was destroyed.
17%
Give trucks the ability to capture enemy structures, including derricks, regardless of how complete they are (similar to NEXUS Link Turrets, though probably much less powerful).
5%
Have incomplete structures decay (auto-demolish), and eventually disappear, over time if they're not being worked on. (For Oil Derricks, they would not cause the well to catch on fire upon disappearing.)
14%
Add a price to Oil Derricks.
12%
Other. (Please explain.)
6%
This shouldn't be fixed at all!
5%

Total votes: 65

Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derri

Post by Emdek »

JDW, more realism plus improved behavior can't be bad? ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Emdek wrote:JDW, more realism plus improved behavior can't be bad? ;-)
Not bad at all :wink:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

JDW wrote:Interesting, five people think that it's better if a half-built derrick never burned at all after it's destroyed. Even if it was built to near 99%
I think you are overestimating the time it take to build. It's not a marvel of the world like in civ XD . If you build it in a position you dont have time to end it, too bad for you.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Iluvalar wrote:I think you are overestimating the time it take to build. It's not a marvel of the world like in civ XD . If you build it in a position you dont have time to end it, too bad for you.
There's no harm in looking at things from as many different angles as possible. There's always something that we may have missed out.

I am on the border when it comes to deciding between burn being removed entirely or it being made proportional to it''s HP. The reason I see burn being left proportional is because it has always been in the game since the game was released, and some of the old players would not be very happy about it, it would indeed be a new feel for them. There's another reason, if a truck has spent some time to build a derrick, then it would be fair to delay the opponent for some proprtional time. But perhaps trying to kill out that amount of hp is delay enough.

And the reason I see why burn needs to be removed completely is that it is penalty enough that you have to destroy a structure with free hp, so there would be no reason to have it burning after that as well and increase the delay.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Berg gave me another idea that will rejoin many other ideas already suggested :
Add a 2 stats to the structure that can be positive or negative. And that would be a direct power production per seconds.

This way we could introduce that nuclear reactor the easy way. And the same time add a maintenance cost to the derricks.

It is not my favorite option, but it is one that I conceive and that could be easy implemented.

2 stats because : finished and unfinished would be required. We could add the same for unfinished pgens.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

JDW wrote: And the reason I see why burn needs to be removed completely is that it is penalty enough that you have to destroy a structure with free hp, so there would be no reason to have it burning after that as well and increase the delay.
You dont get it, the burning is to favour attackers when they are raiding deep inside the enemy base.

That make the derricks even if they are free (or nearly free) a target of choice. In other word, the burning is there for when the owner of the derrick is still in possession of the zone at the end. Not when a dumb truck tried to screw you on your own side.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Iluvalar wrote:You dont get it, the burning is to favour attackers when they are raiding deep inside the enemy base.
So far my views have been about early truck rushes, but it's good to see you looking at things differently and more towards the endgame.
Iluvalar wrote:That make the derricks even if they are free (or nearly free) a target of choice. In other word, the burning is there for when the owner of the derrick is still in possession of the zone at the end. Not when a dumb truck tried to screw you on your own side.
Unfortunately, i didn't really understand what you are trying to say here. Could you please elaborate a little on the matter?
-- Ambrose Bierce
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@Iluvalar: I don't think anyone who voted to reduce and/or eliminate oil fires for destroying incomplete derricks also wanted to remove burning for completed derricks.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

JDW wrote: Unfortunately, i didn't really understand what you are trying to say here. Could you please elaborate a little on the matter?
Yeah of course.

The oil, is one of the particularity of the game. That's a "resource" that is intentionality given by the map maker to the players.

The principle of them is that you dont pay a fair price for that, it's mainly given to you. Last time I checked, the fair price for an oil derrick was ~300$ . That's the point where you would consider to spend your power elsewhere instead :wink: .

So when the designers tried to make the derrick a target for an infiltration attack. They realised that as long as it was so cheap, there was no reason to target them at all. That's why they made the oil burn. So the owner "pay" for the lost of his derricks long enough to be worthy as a target.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Iluvalar wrote:...

The principle of them is that you dont pay a fair price for that, it's mainly given to you. Last time I checked, the fair price for an oil derrick was ~300$ . That's the point where you would consider to spend your power elsewhere instead :wink: .

Does that mean that if derricks costed 400 power, that you wouldn't build any, because they're more than the fair price?
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

in NRS, yep absolutely, you'd build civilian, financial center, you'd keep interest and you'd research reactors with more emphasis.

But in standard... I'm not sure... but I suppose we would simply crash on each others viper wheel mg with the starting power. Nobody would take time to build a derrick at that price.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Iluvalar wrote:You dont get it, the burning is to favour attackers when they are raiding deep inside the enemy base.
Iluvalar wrote:The principle of them is that you dont pay a fair price for that, it's mainly given to you. Last time I checked, the fair price for an oil derrick was ~300$ . That's the point where you would consider to spend your power elsewhere instead .

So when the designers tried to make the derrick a target for an infiltration attack. They realised that as long as it was so cheap, there was no reason to target them at all. That's why they made the oil burn. So the owner "pay" for the lost of his derricks long enough to be worthy as a target.
I'm sorry but I believe burning wells were mainly designed to favor the player who lost the derrick. It's pretty simple really. When a player's derrick is lost to an opponent, the opponent will have to wait for the burning to stop before he can build his own derrick on the well he just captured. This delay for the opponent should give the attacked player enough time to gather up an army so as to allow hm to fight back and try and recapture his lost resource before the opponent get too strong for him to handle. That's all. No rocket science involved here. Anything else that you may see is only a result of how this dynamic was made to work. And I can say this confidently without making any claims that I may have obtained this information from the game designers themselves. :wink:
-- Ambrose Bierce
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@Iluvalar and JDW: I believe that the burning wells are meant to deny the resource to both players. It delays the attacker's ability to take over the oil field, and it delays the victim's ability to recapture the oil field.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:and it delays the victim's ability to recapture the oil field.
Even if the one minute of burn time never existed, the victim would most likely not be able to recapture the oil well within a minute of the well being destroyed. He would be too weak to fight off the stronger opponent, which made him the victim to begin with. He would more likely regroup/upgrade his units, form a bigger army, or retreat for repair and come back fighting harder with probably more strength in numbers.
-- Ambrose Bierce
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

:roll: I picked all options because I can :annoyed:
do a real poll with only one option allowed