Command center

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Do you like the change implemented in ticket #3055?

Yeah
12%
Nay
88%

Total votes: 25

Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Command center

Post by Per »

The minimap in 3.1 should be exactly as in 2.3.9, and to the extent that it is not, that is a bug. Control over the minimap has been moved to scripts to allow for more customization, so for campaign, it will be buggy until we've managed to port the campaign to javascript, or we add minimap control to the wzscript and manage to fix up all the old scripts. It is a work in progress.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Per wrote:The minimap in 3.1 should be exactly as in 2.3.9, and to the extent that it is not, that is a bug. Control over the minimap has been moved to scripts to allow for more customization, so for campaign, it will be buggy until we've managed to port the campaign to javascript, or we add minimap control to the wzscript and manage to fix up all the old scripts. It is a work in progress.
(I added italic for emphasis.)

Oh boy :hmm: .... I wonder - does that mean it may be more feasible to do this ?:

- ........What would be helpful is if your Combat Groups where identifiable and could be maneuvered on the Mini-Map..

- For example..

- You have 3 Combat Groups: #1, #2 and #3.

- You see those #s on the Mini-Map and can do the following: set-up way points, patrols, coordinated offensive maneuvers from multiple vectors and at varying velocities. Basically, this is how 21st Century RL Military OPs are executed. It's called "C3" for "Communications, Command, and Control". IMHO it would be an elegant way to introduce such a game play mechanic into WZ. You would be re-assembling what's already there and you wouldn't even need a new UI. Neat. ('Course it could be further refined once the UI Widget schema is re-vamped making more feasible Elio's New Command UI prototype / mock-ups...)

- This would also have the side benefit of relieving some of the bogus switch-tasking strain of attending NON-combat tasks while trying to control a major offensive in theater.

As I have said elsewhere -

"I think the switch-tasking excessive when it degrades the battlefield experience of the game which for me is the #1 experience that all other GPMs are building up to and that all features and UI's should serve to enhance."

- Toodles, whip. :ninja: (4/23/09)
In sum, you would be integrating more precise Command & Control maneuver functionality of Combat Groups into the Mini-Map and thereby effectively expanding the player's capacity for fun switch-tasking between Non-Combat and Combat decision making (aka "Situational Awareness"), while also expanding the range of in-theater multi-vector tactics which in-turn would be part of the core matrix for making Commander usage in MP way more viable.

Hmm... :geek:

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I'd certainly be interested in what could be done with minimap from JS scripting perspective. Are there details on the exposed API?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

lav_coyote25 wrote:so. i guess it doesn't matter the opinions of the community at large. your just going to go ahead with clone changes.

is it just me or what? the new master has a radar with blips etc and NO command center. the 2.3.9 has no command center and no radar , which after all stands to reason. if you don't have a source of radar, you should have no radar image. giving a radar image without having a Command Center is not a good thing. makes the game , for me at least, lacking incentive. changing the GPM at this stage of the game is STUPID. :annoyed: if your too lazy or stupid to build a command center - you shouldn't be playing this game. :annoyed:
Apparently, you do not listen to devs. The command center is a MASSIVE bunch of exclusive exceptions. Out of nowhere and with no rational reasons. I believe Per heard your comments and will recode the CC as it was in 2.3.9. However he can't magically sh*t the code out of thin air and AFAIK, he will do it for free. There is no need to be aggressive about that.

If you want it faster, simply do it.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

LOL, I'm using that term in my next developer scrum*: "sh*t the code out of thin air" - classic! :D

* And by "next" I mean first - got my first scrum tomorrow morning! *is scared* heh
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Always visible minimap in campaign is for sure a bug.
There is specific mission in gamma campaign in which Nexus takes over your Command Center (so it is destroyed immediately if you have artillery) and AFAIK mission introduction says something about locating something ("something" as it's disrupted by Nexus and we don't know what).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

aubergine wrote:I'd certainly be interested in what could be done with minimap from JS scripting perspective. Are there details on the exposed API?
setMiniMap(bool)
Turns visible minimap on or off in the GUI.

setDesign(bool)
Whether to allow player to design stuff.

See rules.js for an example of how to use them (obviously somewhat buggy, but not sure exactly where the bugs lie). Both functions apply to current client only.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Per: I assume by "current client" you mean the human player on the machine in which the script is running?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

aubergine wrote:@Per: I assume by "current client" you mean the human player on the machine in which the script is running?
Yes.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I c. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Per wrote:The minimap in 3.1 should be exactly as in 2.3.9, and to the extent that it is not, that is a bug. Control over the minimap has been moved to scripts to allow for more customization, so for campaign, it will be buggy until we've managed to port the campaign to javascript, or we add minimap control to the wzscript and manage to fix up all the old scripts. It is a work in progress.
... or by adding a little script that runs in parallel: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... 099b478250

(Yes, that means it's fixed for the next release, no, it won't appear in snapshot builds before you see it listed at https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... its/master or https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/commits/3.1)
We want information... information... information.