2c-Highground map mistakes and corrections

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: 2c-Highground map mistakes and corrections

Post by NoQ »

Already found some typos ...
getStructureBounds
Will have a look (:
the sides[][] array could be initialised independently of direction
Attachments
tmp.png
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Looking at that, probably better to do something as unlike the original as possible.

Hmmm, if trying to do it sensibly instead of just in a loop like I was thinking, maybe a tiles[], and std::stable_sort by distance to the model's apparent exit point? (To be exactly symmetric, the exit point shouldn't be exactly on a tile, so that the tiles would have a proper order.)

The newly-created droids should probably inherit the factory's orientation, too. Or maybe even inherit the orientation corresponding to the direction from the centre of the factory to where the droid was placed.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I think i'm done :geek:
Push to bugfixes?

I also switched placeDroid() to world coordinates because we aren't really returning a tile (and trying to convert it to a tile makes things much more obscure).
Attachments
0001-Place-newly-produced-droids-correctly-when-building-is-rotated.patch
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Looks ok, although I think the last ifs bias the droids towards the middle of an edge, such that 3 droids coming out at once would appear with ½ tile spacing (and more droids would come out with the usual 1 tile spacing). Haven't tested, though, might have misunderstood something.

One way of finding the nearest point to a rectangle might be something like »wx = clip(wx, worldCoord(bounds.map.x), worldCoord(bounds.map.x + bounds.size.x));«. And maybe to be extra pedantic, use reallyBuildDroid instead of buildDroid (then can also remove the turnOffMultiMsg(...); calls), and pass it psStructure->rot.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Looks ok, although I think the last ifs bias the droids towards the middle of an edge, such that 3 droids coming out at once would appear with ½ tile spacing (and more droids would come out with the usual 1 tile spacing). Haven't tested, though, might have misunderstood something.
Well, droids instantly move to a rally point anyway (default placement of which, by the way, could also use some rotating). Also, there are less structure vertices than adjacent tiles, so some cluttering is inevitable (pigeonhole problems), unless we actually put all exit points uniformly around the structure, but that would mean that normal exit point would be slightly misplaced, compared to the original game.

Also, for master it would probably make sense to add structure exit point parameter to structure stat files (?) so that eg. a modded factory could produce droids to the right by default :hmm:
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

After long time i played this great map again. Nice changes. But why is that still possible? (screenshot2). It should be better to enlarge the gateway by only 1 pix. (Screenshot 1-i changed for myself) . It has no influence on the balance, and this stupid blocking against Nullbot wouldn`t be possible anymore. In the game i have 12 oils and Nullbot was sitting at home with 2 oils. :? What is the reason, that this wasn`t changed?
Attachments
enlarge the entrance by 1 pix changes much
enlarge the entrance by 1 pix changes much
wz2100-20150316_215859-HighGround3-T1.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 9452 times
blocking and researching 12oils vs. 2 oils. No chance for Nullbot
blocking and researching 12oils vs. 2 oils. No chance for Nullbot
wz2100-20150316_190603-Sk-HighGround.jpg (93.21 KiB) Viewed 9452 times
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

montetank wrote: It should be better to enlarge the gateway by only 1 pix. (Screenshot 1-i changed for myself) .
I assume you mean 1 tile, not 1 pixel, since, that looks like more than 1 ;)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

But why is that still possible?
It doesn't work nearly as well against humans. Just put your lab at the entrance and it's an instant win against such strategy. You can even block the construction of this factory with a truck.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

NoQ wrote:
But why is that still possible?
It doesn't work nearly as well against humans. Just put your lab at the entrance and it's an instant win against such strategy. You can even block the construction of this factory with a truck.
I know that, NoQ. I am speaking about all the players, playing against NullBot.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

If a certain chess AI always starts the game as white with 1.f3, 2.g4, it doesn't mean that black are overpowered or that the chess board needs fixing.

By the way i noticed some bugs in the updated highground map: gateways are completely misplaced (were not updated after terrain changes, i guess), and there's also a broken cliff texture near the north base. Will need another update.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

haha-1-0 you win. I like, that you compares your Nullbot with a f3 g4 fool :lol2: