Artillery (Mortars,Howitzers) in low-oil games are not usabl

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Re: Artillery (Mortars,Howitzers) in low-oil games are not u

Post by Rommel »

ok but do you you think this is a bit low? The mortar is like a chunk of metal and seems like it should have more hitpoints than a rocket pod which you would think of as "flimsy".
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

I find space for mortars quite in 30% of my long low oil games and it is not suposed to come in close combat anyway. The fastest time to get it is about 10 mins though and I wish it was faster so it would make it come into play in 40% of games. Also mortar cyborgs having way less range then mortar pits is a shame and nerfs the weapon much since mortar wheeled units are way more expensive then the pits which again nerfs the weapon. But, I have to admit that after some upgrades (not sure which, which is again development fault, players don't really know what they are doing) mortar begin to splash and that is huge.
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

devastator wrote:I find space for mortars quite in 30% of my long low oil games
What percent of low-oil games are considered as long?

I watched your latest video - mortar may be usable in such maps like high-ground when you can defend your chokepoint and enemy fails in his attack.
Mortar can be usable when you have more oil than your enemy, but i do not believe mortar can be useful when you do not have oil advantage and do not have good defensive position
Effectiveness of mortar depends on map..

devastator wrote:Also mortar cyborgs having way less range then mortar pits is a shame and nerfs the weapon much since mortar wheeled units are way more expensive then the pits which again nerfs the weapon
I think mortar cyborgs have short range because they are fast and that cyborgs can become too strong if you give them long range.
I agree it is some wrong when mortar pit is cheaper than mortar wheeled tank.
devastator wrote: mortar begin to splash and that is huge.
wut??
Mortar do splash damage all time.
Warzone2100 Guide - http://betaguide.wz2100.net/
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

If different tech-tree branches depend on the map - sounds perfect for me. Mortars basic AoE can probably affect cyborgs staying close to each other, but only with some upgrades the splash becomes considerable. I use mortars when game is equal and I can't really aproach my enemie for a guaranteed win. But mortars are only good as defensive structures, and warzone always plays a bad joke on those relying on structures as their source of damage. I don't think artillery is useless as this topic says, I think it is just lack of mechanins in warzone affects this case as well as all the other cases. Cobra half-tracks heavy mg is still the best way to deal with all the troubles of rising T2 part of the game.. as well as the cheapest and fastest way to enter T2 :p
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

devastator wrote:If different tech-tree branches depend on the map - sounds perfect for me.
devastator wrote:Cobra half-tracks heavy mg is still the best way to deal with all the troubles of rising T2 part of the game.. as well as the cheapest and fastest way to enter T2
So Cobra HMG is usable on ANY map while mortar is usable only on few selected maps. I think there is someting wrong.
devastator wrote:I use mortars when game is equal and I can't really aproach my enemie for a guaranteed win.
Can you list maps on which you use mortars in each 1 game from 3 games (30%)?
devastator wrote: I don't think artillery is useless as this topic says
May be you can show video when you win over good player with using of artillery?
Artillery usable when you have good number of oil resources and when you can defend your artillery with defenses and enemy forced to attack you.
I just do not remember low-oil games there artillery was tused as good attacking weapon (except incendiary mortars of course)
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

don't think artillery is useless as this topic says, I think it is just lack of mechanins in warzone affects this case as well as all the other cases.

I don't play that often. Mortars have 30% winrate for me. Mostly on Sk-Vision. Quite close to what is shown on my old match as Raijin vs tmp[bdc].

Warzone is imbalanced itself, but if other weapons were balanced, mortars would still need no changes. That's what I am trying to say.

But you are right. You usually use them if you are in advantage, to make sure your oponeny won't comeback. However on 8 players low oil campaing map one guy locked himself on his base built mortars and removed me from the map totaly. He kept on defending built VTOLs and wiped the map. It looked pretty impressive, but it is too limited set of cases for such an amazing weapon to be used, needs fixes. Just as I suggested at tech-tree suggestion topic, at this forum.
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

devastator wrote:Warzone is imbalanced itself, but if other weapons were balanced, mortars would still need no changes. That's what I am trying to say.
I'm tying to say: Mortars can be made stronger. Even if other weapon will become balanced, Mortar will be still weak in low-oil games.
Well we can made other weapon weaker thus mortars will be stronger.

Have you anything to say about other artillery (ripples, howitzer)?
devastator wrote: Quite close to what is shown on my old match as Raijin vs tmp[bdc].
I remember player with nickname "Raijin". Welcome back.
devastator wrote: I don't play that often. Mortars have 30% winrate for me. Mostly on Sk-Vision.
Can you point me to yoyr video in which you managed to kill tmp with mortars on Vision?
devastator wrote: Just as I suggested at tech-tree suggestion topic, at this forum.
Did you read my suggestions for Research here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11138#p123334 ?

I think we can reduce range of mortar but give more damage to them.... :roll:
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

Reducing range and increasing damage is the worst you can do. Totaly destructs conception of this artilery weapon.
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

devastator wrote:Reducing range and increasing damage is the worst you can do. Totaly destructs conception of this artilery weapon.
Mortar will be still good functional with range reduced from current 18 to 15 tiles (for example).
Reducing range should open more safer way to increasing of damage.

See NoQ mentioned role of mortars above.
devastator wrote:conception of this artilery weapon.
Again, may be you can say what conception of mortar?
What exactly will become broken if we reduce range of mortars and increase other stats like damage, rof
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

I must agree with crab. Mortars are useless in low-oil-games. Don`t want to speak about howitzers. As pits for defense maybe ok. Sometimes i use some mortar pits for defense-depends of the map. But not for the battle in offensive strategy.To attach all my mortars to my sensor-turret - to retread mortars either/ore the sensor turret at medium or heavy damage is wasting time and concentration. But i want to ask- is this a problem? Low-oil games are specific. There is no reason to change something. Try to enjoy the special way of low-oil-games. Low-oil games are games for players, who can operate with their units.

Sorry for my google-english
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.