Scouting in early game

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Scouting in early game

Post by Per »

I like the idea of summoning an UAV chopper scout from the HQ. I've been playing with the idea of adding a 'scanner sweep' ability to the HQ (as Terran has in Starcraft), but the chopper idea seems more in line with the Warzone theme.
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

Per wrote:I like the idea of summoning an UAV chopper scout from the HQ. I've been playing with the idea of adding a 'scanner sweep' ability to the HQ (as Terran has in Starcraft), but the chopper idea seems more in line with the Warzone theme.
Warzone is "Strategy by design". I think chopper should be designable then. Well. make chopper is better than do nothing. Me agreed with chopper :)
Warzone2100 Guide - http://betaguide.wz2100.net/
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I think playtesting changes of this scope is worthwhile before drawing conclusions written in stone. Just my nature to prefer evidence based conclusions, I guess.

Strategy by design, sure enough, but have there not always been exceptions ?

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

Rman Virgil wrote:.
I think playtesting changes of this scope is worthwhile before drawing conclusions written in stone. Just my nature to prefer evidence based conclusions, I guess.
of course, me agreed :)
i'm understand.
We have master version for testing purposes already.
So i welcome you to play some games with "scout mod". Or may be Per just add this choppers/sensors into master brach for testing directly in game?

Another point - what to test in playtesting. I think we have to test case when one player can invisibly change his weapon and prepare deadly attack? scouting units have a lot of purposes.
Rman Virgil wrote:.
Strategy by design, sure enough, but have there not always been exceptions ?
I like Warzone because player can even make dozens types of simple builder! :idea:
Yes we have exceptions
1) Cyborgs
2) Defenses
I think Cyborgs have to be made designable in future (select weapon, body)
Structures by the same way could be made designable in future.

So i dislike add one more exception, but its still interesting, and better than no scouts at all
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

We are on the same page with all this after all. :3

Already commited to playtesting another WZ Project of great scope but I do appreciate the offer, crab_. :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I'm still strongly opposed to something that would force me to move more units the way it's suggested. Sorry but for me, a subgame in which I need to constantly keep a unit in between 7 and 8 tile away from the opponent units doesn't look, even remotely, as "fun".
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

Iluvalar wrote:I'm still strongly opposed to something that would force me to move more units the way it's suggested. Sorry but for me, a subgame in which I need to constantly keep a unit in between 7 and 8 tile away from the opponent units doesn't look, even remotely, as "fun".
Are you saying about manipulating choppers?