Accuracy changes 3.2

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Accuracy changes 3.2

Post by NoQ »

By the way (or rather back to the topic): i suddenly found it quite interesting to try out indirect-fire minipods, and also maybe lancers etc.

Lets see what happens. Right now cannons and AT rockets are functionally similar: they act as your basic anti-tank weapon, to counter them people put cyborgs to front line to absorb their hits. With this change you are no longer able to absorb rocket hits with borgs. They will just fly over their heads and hit tanks behind them. Also, it will become much harder to cover wounded tank with a row of healthy tanks. Also their hit and run will become more effective, specially considering mras are already indirect. This changes rocket function dramatically: now they filter out enemy tanks, even regardless of cyborgs.

Would anybody be able to take these implications further? Probably role of cannon cyborgs will increase, as machinegunner meat shields will no longer be an option.

Anyway, so far, i like where it is going.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

NoQ wrote: Anyway, so far, i like where it is going.
Assuming it's balanceable. Which is not.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

What exactly?
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

let me repeat again...

The very shape of the tech-tree forbid major changes. Unless it's for direct balance purpose, you cannot make a random change in the game. This is not quite true however... If you counteract a change with another change of the same dimension, you can actually manage it. Here, for an accuracy change, the only manageable thing you can mess with is ROF.

Consequently, for every change in the stats that per did which is NOT a rate of fire scaling, there is necessarly at least one branch in the tech tree to move to keep the game balanced. And I also happen to know that it's barelly impossible that 2 unscaled changes on 2 different weapon could happen to merge in only one move.

Now, I'm far from thinking I'm a super-hero, but I happen to be the only one around here that made a functionnal research tree lately. And still, I have not a single clue which are those ~50 branches and where they need to land to achieve balance for those ~50 changes per did lately. I'm just aware they exists. And I'm far, very far, from being able to achieve that feat. Even with fully automated scripts of mine. And there is no garanty after that this new tech tree will preserve the "feel" ot the game we liked in the past. Actually, it's unlikely...

So you guys might believe a magic fairy will come by and balance the game for us. You might hope one of us will be struck by a lightning and suddenly acquire the skills necessary for this task. What I can tell is a trial and error balance, in the best conditions (try one change, test it 1 week with help of the community, see if it fit) could take decades before we can recover something as good as it was. There is no garanty that the severed balance will still be fun and that we'll have a community at all to do those tests.

Hope it's clear.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Ilu, please use the third chance to read the post you're replying to. Please.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

wait.. when you said "Anyway, so far, i like where it is going."

You were talking only about the change for minipod ?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yes. I asked if anybody sees where else it is going, together with concluding that i like everything i see.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Per, now that you talk about indirect weapons.

You buffed the direct weapons by 15% dps in this change. I doubt the indirect weapons will still be usable at all if they dont have it as well... Or do I miss something ?