Poll: Should there be a setting to *set derrick cost?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Should there be a setting to *set derrick cost?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 13

Rommel
Trained
Trained

Poll: Should there be a setting to *set derrick cost?

Post by Rommel »

As per the information contained in this thread, Derricks are set to be given a price tag of X (not sure how much) dollars. From what I have read this seems to be for the sole reason of allowing players in low oil games to quickly half build derricks so that they can deny the other players oil - something which is in my opinion a little outside the spirit of fair play. Derricks currently "dissolve" in a certain amount of time if not finished, by having them not dissolve along with a price tag it is thought this will balance things out.

My main concern is not with low oil type games or the matter of derricks dissolving or not. My concern lies with the fact that this will have a great effect on the playability of high oil, NTW type maps. Many NTW maps have 40 derricks and if say a price tag of $100 is added per derrick this will amount to $4000, which is a LOT of resources and will change the existing gameplay in an extreme way. Also there will be no real way to recover from all your derricks being destroyed...

I proposed that a setting be added to disable price for Derricks, but I was informed that:
Per wrote:It is hard to make a setting for everything under the Sun, because we have limited space for settings, and each setting makes the UI more difficult to understand and use.

But, you can put the mod to change this behaviour into each NTW map, if you want. That way each player do not have to enable it. I think NTW is so different from normal Warzone that such modding of the rules should be expected and/or desired in any case.
To me it seems strange the statement that there is no room for this setting considering that the last page of the settings in WZ skirmish and MP has only a few settings with a huge blank area. It also seems strange the unwillingness to add such a small thing what would benefit most WZ Multiplayers (it is a well known fact more people play NTW style games on MP than low oil).

The other alternative put forward was to edit EVERY NTW map to have the mod included which also seems a lot of work when the addition of one setting would suffice.

I have amended this with the proposal to have a setting added to structure limits where one could choose the price of derricks ranging from 0 to X amount.
So I leave you with this poll so that we may gauge the feelings of the community on this issue.
Last edited by Rommel on 20 Apr 2013, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Originway
Trained
Trained

Re: Poll: Should there be a setting to disable derrick cost?

Post by Originway »

Rommel wrote: To me it seems strange the statement that there is no room for this setting considering that the last page of the settings in WZ skirmish and MP has only a few settings with a huge blank area.
what huge blank area?
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

The second page of structure limits - there could be a setting added here for derrick price ranging from 0 to X amount. At least with this way we can test as well to find the best price if there is to be a price... instead of just relying on the price set by the devs, then arguing about it, then the devs needing to update again and then arguing again...
Last edited by Rommel on 20 Apr 2013, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Seems to me absurd
~
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

then how would everyone else know what the host set it to?
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Re: Poll: Should there be a setting to *set derrick cost?

Post by Rommel »

The same way they know how many factories are allowed, etc...
Seems to me absurd
~
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Who cares since you only play NTW2MAX ?

Unzip it, copy structure.txt into in, change the price to whatever you want. Change the name in addon.lev and zip it under NTW2SUP. Not a big deal. Really. Just join me in pressuring the devs into adding the mods as a distinct downloadable content like map. So we can make those kind of changes in other maps.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Iluvalar wrote:Just join me in pressuring the devs
Or you could, you know, lend a helping hand... :stare:
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Per wrote:
Iluvalar wrote:Just join me in pressuring the devs
Or you could, you know, lend a helping hand... :stare:
I fixed the raycast trought cliff for 2.3.8. look how you rewarded me. You never applied it !

I made a patch for your accuracy system in 3.1 . Look how you rewarded me. It still on the shelf since months !

I tried to help twice, you don't want me to help. So don't look at me like that. :ninja:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Looking at the poll so far it seems no one is interested in the poll and the ones that have voted say NO so its probably a waste of everyone’s time to try and pressure the devs into doing something no one wants anyway.
Trying to force your wishes onto someone is not a good idea.
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

Iluvalar wrote: I fixed the raycast trought cliff for 2.3.8. look how you rewarded me. You never applied it !

I made a patch for your accuracy system in 3.1 . Look how you rewarded me. It still on the shelf since months !

I tried to help twice, you don't want me to help. So don't look at me like that. :ninja:
that's why i never made patch that change game engine or stuff around it :lol2: .
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Berg wrote:Looking at the poll so far it seems no one is interested in the poll and the ones that have voted say NO so its probably a waste of everyone’s time to try and pressure the devs into doing something no one wants anyway.
Not trying to force anything on anyone, just wanted to get an idea if anyone else cared. But really all this shows (along with the general lack of posts) is that this site is not really so popular... in regards to votes, I could quickly pick up 10 or 20 from MP if I wanted to - but frankly I don't have interest anymore, in fact I am rapidly losing interest in being involved in this community full stop.

Maybe the lack of people posting on this site, the general lack of multiplayers as well as the general lack of anyone actually mentioning wz on the net might be saying something.
Seems to me absurd
~
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

What if there was settings for each unit or structure instead of just the one?
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Berg wrote:Looking at the poll so far it seems no one is interested in the poll and the ones that have voted say NO so its probably a waste of everyone’s time to try and pressure the devs into doing something no one wants anyway.
Allowing to register multiple file in the lobby instead of a single map would not be that much hard. It would not only allow this particular mod to be accessible in the lobby but ANY possible mods. This mean, it would allow a balance team to do it job.

In any rate, I believe this is planned. Basicaly i'm just saying again : This is again something that would already be solved if we had the mod download implemented.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Iluvalar wrote:
Allowing to register multiple file in the lobby instead of a single map would not be that much hard. It would not only allow this particular mod to be accessible in the lobby but ANY possible mods. This mean, it would allow a balance team to do it job.

In any rate, I believe this is planned. Basicaly i'm just saying again : This is again something that would already be solved if we had the mod download implemented.
there must be a reason why it is not there
if it is as easy as you say then prove it
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

You can load multiples mod over the base data, then load a map mod with no problem. We obvioulsy have a good chain loader for mods.

We have a file download system, a Gui to liste and chose files and a lobby server that register the files chosen that we already use for maps. We just need to mash the bits together.