nerf cyborg transports

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: nerf cyborg transports

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:Maybe both approaches could be mixed?

So, super-trans (ST from now on) can go anywhere like it currently can.

But, if there are LZs, the ST user interface could show quick links to send it to one of the LZs. Furthermore, droids could also be sent to LZs in similar way, just as you can send them to HQ or to repair. The benefit of an LZ is some level of automation of the transport (done via scripting of course). So you could send a droid to a recovery LZ and a transport will come and collect it and take it to a designated location, such as a repair facility.

If the user was then given the ability to build/demolish LZs, they could set up logistics infrastructure for their STs to reduce amount of micro required to use them. LZs would need to be in pairs to be fully effective, with a transport shipping droids between them.

Sending a droid to LZ would be like sending it to repair station, it will wait it's turn and when a transport with enough space arrives, it will embark the transport. The transport will then fly it to the other LZ, which might also be linked to a repair station or whatever. When the droid is repaired, a transport collects it and takes it back to first LZ so it can re-enter battle.

Would need much more thought, obviously, but maybe some interesting GPM in that direciton?

That's a way richer mechanic that also solves the legacy map issue. :3 While WZ may never quite rival current RTSs in visual immersion (though I think it will be more than good enough) as far as GPMs, I truely think it can get to the top of Everest and pretty much stand alone with what it has to offer in depth, variety, replay value and unpredictable fun.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

Alternative: In the campaign, the transport couldn't land if there were enemy units present in the "LZ" (a predefined area in the level's scripting). I think this should be enforced in skirmish: If there is any hostile unit or structure within X distance (4~8 squares, debatable) of the target unload point, the Transport can't land, can't unload. Or maybe you have to build a specific kind of structure or fortification to designate/create an LZ point first (remember how just about every "enemy LZ" in the campaign had hardpoints around it?).

And yes having a limit on # transports sounds like a good idea. If the standard transport can hold 10 units - you will never ever need more than 9 of them (9 transports + 90 troops = 99 total out of 100 limit), and practically never need more than five (50 troops).
Strata @dA, @FAC
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Our current unit limit is 150.
Hence 13 full transports, the 14th being 6/10, at most.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I can't imagine anyone ever using more than 2 transports to transport troops in skirmish or mp, which is why I think a limit of 5 is more reasonable.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

The limit should be game mechanic driven not hard coded. 3 transports should be innefficient. It's a matter of balance.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.