Ridiculously Fast Construction

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Ridiculously Fast Construction

Post by NoQ »

So what if we have a truck and a cyborg engineer?
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

NoQ wrote:So what if we have a truck and a cyborg engineer?
huh ? I guess the cyborg engineer should be reduced the same way.

6 (truck) + 3 (borg) + 2 (bonus because something is building) = 11
instead of : 8 (truck) + 5 (borg) = 13
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Ok nice, i see. So probably borg engineer should be reduced to 2 to keep its current construction speed when alone (?)

Now we need to look for a sort of balance between "starting the game by building same factory with two trucks" (or a lab) and "starting the game by building a separate factory by each of the truck" (or a factory and a lab or two labs).
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Well, if that bonus is implemented in the game, and the devs ask me gently, I could find the perfect tuning for that. So with the bonus, both options would be decent.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Are you just making work for yourselves? What is wrong with building using all 15 trucks, if that is what someone wants to do? Trucks are just another resource, to be disposed as the player sees fit. After all, a truck building one thing cannot be building anything else.

This is angels on a pin stuff - as though there were no greater problems confronting WZ development.
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

To add to this: 15 trucks buildings 15 defence structures in a row one after another should finish later then 15 trucks each building one defence structure?
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

Why is the limit on construction units so low?
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

Ever hear of "too many cooks" ? There is no actual truck limit in the current gameplay, and this is only talking about a max-trucks-per-build-target limit, not a "TOTAL trucks" limit.
What is wrong with building using all 15 trucks, if that is what someone wants to do?
Good luck trying to fit 15 trucks around your construction target (unless it's a factory). Beyond five or so trucks, adding more trucks to the same build target barely makes any dent in construction speed anyway - they'll only get in the way trying to jockey for position.
Strata @dA, @FAC
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

iap wrote:To add to this: 15 trucks buildings 15 defence structures in a row one after another should finish later then 15 trucks each building one defence structure?
No but, the mean amount of turret firing during that time is 7.5 if you build one after another and 0 if you build them with one truck each. If you build a factory and a research lab with 2 trucks together, you will end the building with a 3rd truck. that you wont have if you chose to spread the trucks.
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

That is, of course, the standard difference between spreading out tasks among individual units or focusing them together (which doesn't apply to just trucks - it applies to selecting targets in combat too): The end result is the same, but whatever happens in the meantime is different.
Strata @dA, @FAC
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Iluvalar wrote:
iap wrote:To add to this: 15 trucks buildings 15 defence structures in a row one after another should finish later then 15 trucks each building one defence structure?
No but, the mean amount of turret firing during that time is 7.5 if you build one after another and 0 if you build them with one truck each. If you build a factory and a research lab with 2 trucks together, you will end the building with a 3rd truck. that you wont have if you chose to spread the trucks.
Of course!
But shouldn't it be MY choice, and not some hard coded limit?
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Stratadrake wrote:Ever hear of "too many cooks" ? There is no actual truck limit in the current gameplay, and this is only talking about a max-trucks-per-build-target limit, not a "TOTAL trucks" limit.
What is wrong with building using all 15 trucks, if that is what someone wants to do?
Good luck trying to fit 15 trucks around your construction target (unless it's a factory). Beyond five or so trucks, adding more trucks to the same build target barely makes any dent in construction speed anyway - they'll only get in the way trying to jockey for position.
Not in 239.

I'm speaking hypothetically here - player should be free to use his trucks as he wants, all of them at a go if he so desires.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Limiting the number of trucks to build something would be confusing UX because players would be wondering why they can't assign more trucks to something. I like the idea of "law of diminishing returns" if implemented correctly, because it's unobtrusive and a useful trick to learn for new players that they shouldn't throw all their trucks at one construction site.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

Stratadrake wrote:Good luck trying to fit 15 trucks around your construction target (unless it's a factory). Beyond five or so trucks, adding more trucks to the same build target barely makes any dent in construction speed anyway - they'll only get in the way trying to jockey for position.
No they wont, each building team would consist of 5 trucks in.
And I would want to have more.
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I'm for the idea of diminishing returns, though I'm not in favor of limiting how many trucks can work on a single building at a time. I mean, if I wanted to build something that's very expensive and time-consuming to build, such as, say, a fortress, Satellite Uplink, or LasSat Command Post, then I'd want to assign as many trucks as I have to get the job done quickly.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100