Ridiculously Fast Construction

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Re: Ridiculously Fast Construction

Post by Avestron »

Avestron wrote:Why not limit it in another fashion? Invoke the rule of diminishing returns.

+100% - - - 1st Truck
+080% - - - 2nd Truck
+060% - - - 3rd Truck
+040% - - - 4th Truck
+020% - - - 5th Truck and up

-

5 Trucks would do the same work that 3 currently do. 10 Trucks would do the job that 4 currently do.
Good Point SW TJC.

Perhaps in terms of efficiency the formula would be per workable site - represented simply in area.

Trucks/ Square & (Total Output / Efficiency per truck)
01 = (100.0 / 100.0) (Same applies to other trucks covered in area)
02 = (170.0 / 085.0)
03 = (225.0 / 075.0)
04 = (260.0 / 065.0)
05 = (287.5 / 057.5)
06 = (300.0 / 050.0)
07+ = +005.0 Production
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:I'm for the idea of diminishing returns, though I'm not in favor of limiting how many trucks can work on a single building at a time. I mean, if I wanted to build something that's very expensive and time-consuming to build, such as, say, a fortress, Satellite Uplink, or LasSat Command Post, then I'd want to assign as many trucks as I have to get the job done quickly.
But what's the point of diminishing returns in such cases?

"Rebalancing" is taking on a life of its own and the end result will be just a feeble blancmange.

edit: Playing RC3: just noticed that though there is room, the fifth truck of a five-truck team does not spread around the structure under construction. Instead, it will keep trying to nose other trucks out of the way. So, strictly, there is no need for any restriction on truck capability. End of discussion?
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

zydonk wrote:edit: Playing RC3: just noticed that though there is room, the fifth truck of a five-truck team does not spread around the structure under construction. Instead, it will keep trying to nose other trucks out of the way. So, strictly, there is no need for any restriction on truck capability. End of discussion?
But is this fifth wheel truck actually contributing to construction speed during the time it spends jockeying for position?
Strata @dA, @FAC
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

From what I understand, if there's no "construction beam" coming out of a truck, it's not contributing to build time.

I guess if multiple construction trucks are ordered to build something, they should each be given their own adjacent (and reachable by them) tile next to the construction site, rather than all being told to go to a single adjacent tile.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Stratadrake wrote:
zydonk wrote:edit: Playing RC3: just noticed that though there is room, the fifth truck of a five-truck team does not spread around the structure under construction. Instead, it will keep trying to nose other trucks out of the way. So, strictly, there is no need for any restriction on truck capability. End of discussion?
But is this fifth wheel truck actually contributing to construction speed during the time it spends jockeying for position?
Ah. No, sorry, that was implicit in what I was saying. Afterwards yesterday, I corralled six trucks to run up some scourge hardpoints. Again, four got down to work while the other two faffed about behind them. What happens is that the excluded trucks agitate the trucks immediately in front of them. These in turn wiggle about a bit but have no effect on the working trucks on either side, which of course don't move away to make room.

Now, all this works fine in 239. I assume there is an effective algorithm which instructs trucks on how to search a way out of these jams. Why isn't this being used in 31? I know Per talks about "dirty" code in 239, but why can't the working parts be brought into 31?

This manoeuvrability problem is the single-most irritating fault in 31. You simply cannot play it with any confidence.