Start game conditions (changed in master)

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: Start game conditions (changed in master)

Post by Iluvalar »

aubergine wrote:I'd be likely to decapitate anyone who mentioned tax, money, banking or other absurd things that make the world a terrible place to live in pre-apocalypse.
You'd try, but they would receive help from outside factions who already controled a zone as big as the one you just dream to control. They would exterminate you and then share your oil with allied. :lol2:
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

From where come your starting power at the beginning of each game ?

Where else than from other commanders like us that accept to share a part of their benefit with other commanders of the faction ? Would it be THAT crazy to believe that they send you more if you struggle at controlling your territory or likewise ask you to contribute when you start to possess a bigger area on your own ?
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

To keep up with the offtopic:
Per wrote:I fixed Semperfi JS. Semperfi classic and Nexus worked without changes.
Just tried a T3 no bases game. Three instances of Nexus (including autogame), two instances of Semperfi and three instances of Semperfi-JS failed. Two instances of NullBot v2.01 worked fine (:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Not sure if I care about T3.

I tried fixing Semperi-JS, but since there was no way to know beforehand if the next research topic would cost its entire stockpile of power, I figured fixing it would most likely not be worth while. Nexus and Semperfi (classic) seemed to get stuck with upgrade bugs, as they started upgrading then immediately went to do something else. And I did not want to start debugging wzscript stuff.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I work around it in NullBot by blocking research completely (in T2 and T3 games only) until the AI has a power source.
I can try to provide a patch for Nexus and Semperfi.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

/me wrote:I can try to provide a patch for Nexus and Semperfi.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Please be careful with adding price to derricks - the majority of games in multipler are on high oil NTW type maps. These sort of games are about tank fighting not micromanaging so for gods sake if you do this please make it optional.

In fact lets talk about optional, why not allow host to set options for nerfing and stuff, kind of like you can do with turning of vtol and such. I know it sucks making UIs for everything, but it is a long term investment that will pay off in the end. Just think about it - the way it is now you release, people test then feedback then you modify or not, then back to test and a great circle commences and the outcome will never please everyone.

By putting as many settings into the UI as possible will result in more people testing and experimenting, thus creating a better experience in the end. I really feel that priority should be given to UI, if this is done with care you will be able to add a whole lot more to the game.

Just my 2 cents worth
Last edited by Rommel on 10 Jan 2013, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

For me biggest problem with cost for derricks is if you've run out of cash, the enemy has destroyed your last derrick, you can't build another derrick. It means that even if you have power gens left you're effectively out of the game unless you manage to find an oil barrel.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Rommel, aubergine, in such cases there should be simply different rules, like additional constant power given to each player, it could be like output from single derrick plus single upgraded power generator. There could be additional rules, like it would be only available when you have less than four derricks (with at least one power generator) etc.
Is it already possible to create such mod?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@Emdek: Contingency already implements such a system. In Contingency, if a player has no derricks, power generators, or wind turbines, then the player will still receive a tiny trickle of power per second (much like how, in Supreme Commander, the Commander generates a tiny amount of mass and energy each second). This tiny trickle of power may not compare to even having a single derrick running, but it was designed to help players out these kinds of situations.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Please don't help players recover once they have been defeated.
It is already a major annoyance in accidental multiplayer to waste half an hour looking for the last truck on a large map, when the enemy doesn't surrender nicely even if it's 101% obvious he has been defeated.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Shadow Wolf TJC, OK. Won't it be too small rate so there are big chances that all factories and trucks will be destroyed before player will collect enough power to rebuilt derricks (in case when he will loose all power for some reason)?
NoQ, does that happen so often? I've always seen that loosing players simply disconnect early...

NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I've always seen that loosing players simply disconnect early...
I'd really prefer players who do that (in 1x1 or ffa games, but not in team games and not as a host) to players who waste your time by not quitting. For me, a perfect player is the one who says gg and quits whenever it is actually obvious that he lost, and offers a rematch (:
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

NoQ, that issue with host quitting is just silly, if we don't get dedicated servers then we must get some other way to avoid this issue...
And yes, it would be nicer if such players, that want to disconnect, would inform others first, not simply disconnect and ruin a game (also for own teammates)... Or we could get that many times proposed option to automatically replace quitters by AI.

Back on topic, if derricks becomes more expensive then players must get some compensation for it. Or simply there should be another way to fix original issue instead.

Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

If you suddenly lose all your derricks, then you only need to cancel some production to get power to rebuild them. It is not like 100 power is a lot, compared to the cost of other things. If you have nothing in production, well, then you have probably lost the game anyway. (You can also still get power by demolishing your own buildings? I forget.) And like NoQ, I really prefer it when players gg and leave or offer rematch than stay as long as possible.