Lag on 3.1 beta 9

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Chaoticredux
Greenhorn

Lag on 3.1 beta 9

Post by Chaoticredux »

Running in windowed, texture size set to 128, and shadows off. Have major lag in game and the longer i play the slower it goes.
*edit* while in game cpu usage skyrockets to about 80-99 %
2.3.9 works perfect

specs

cpu:intel celeron 900 @ 2.2 ghz
ram:3 gigs of ram
video:Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Min 64mb - max 1309mb)

I would really like to play the beta
Jabol
Trained
Trained

Re: Lag on 3.1 beta 9

Post by Jabol »

The Beta is just unstable as chinese houses, the best is to take all the pain and wait till the official, STABLE release goes out.
I have changed this signature because a developer thinks it's offensive.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I just talk to cyp yesterday about that.

It seem linked to the number of units in the map. Apparently the simulation is more CPU demanding than the graphics here... I might take a look at it by myself.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Chaoticredux
Greenhorn

Post by Chaoticredux »

ok thanks for the reply.....i do hope the team wishes to keep the game running well on older pc's though.....cause not all of us can afford a high end pc.
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Chaoticredux wrote:ok thanks for the reply.....i do hope the team wishes to keep the game running well on older pc's though.....cause not all of us can afford a high end pc.
you can find faster machines in the dump than the one you got. hell how about go to goodwill and pickup something faster for $40
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I fear the same issue affects 2.3.9 as well. I'm running into a problem where there's "too much going on" and the entire Cam 4 script fails at that point.

And my machine is NOT slow.
Chaoticredux
Greenhorn

Post by Chaoticredux »

crass wrote:
Chaoticredux wrote:ok thanks for the reply.....i do hope the team wishes to keep the game running well on older pc's though.....cause not all of us can afford a high end pc.
you can find faster machines in the dump than the one you got. hell how about go to goodwill and pickup something faster for $40
because i don't have 40$
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Pretty much ALL RTS type games suffer slow downs when the unit count goes up.
Not much we can do to fix that with the current code.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Chaoticredux wrote: 2.3.9 works perfect
So there must be a fix...
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

That depends on what is causing the lag.
If it is unit count, or the graphics or ...
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

it's the unit count. I went from 5 fps to 20 fps when cyp kicked the player with 150 units. And i was not looking a them in any way.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

It probably is caused by too many units moving around. I've had several times where the lag got to the point where the game just crashed from being overloaded with too many objects (units, structures, and features?), and this was all on beta 7. Although, I do wonder if this has anything to do with how complex the pathfinding system is for Warzone 2100, as Starcraft 2 is known to have tons of units moving around at times (like the "In Utter Darkness" mission in Wings of Liberty), yet it seems to use a flowfield-like pathfinding system.

Because of that, I tend to avoid playing on maps that are likely to see lots of units moving around at a time, such as big, high-oil, and/or 8-player maps. Heck, even on low-oil 2-player maps, I sometimes experience framerate drops when both me and my opponent are throwing sizable armies at eachother.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Chaoticredux
Greenhorn

Post by Chaoticredux »

I have a slow frame-rate even in the first seconds of a match/skirmish etc... in 3.1, i think it has something to do with open gl 2 or the new terrain renderer , it could be a combination of graphical and CPU problems though.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Pumpkin had the limits set for this engine to 75 (or was it 90?) units max per player.
Later it was increased, but the rule of thumb is, the more units, the better the CPU you need to handle it, most of the stuff happens offscreen. When you have tons of units on the screen all at once, then the GPU plays a big role in this as well.
None of this is optimized for anything at this time. :stressed:
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

vexed wrote:Pretty much ALL RTS type games suffer slow downs when the unit count goes up.
Not much we can do to fix that with the current code.
i played RTS with 50-000 or more units limit and it worked on slow PC (but it was 2d yes)