White textures? Black/corrupted screens? Crashes to desktop?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Desolator4u
Trained
Trained

White textures? Black/corrupted screens? Crashes to desktop?

Post by Desolator4u »

This sucks man. I got an old ass D510 laptop with an onboard Intel 915GM, and I can't run version 3 :| The tutorial seems to run okay though, but as soon as I load any other map, the games crashes to the Desktop immediately.
I used 3D Analyzer (an app that can immulate different features and functionality for a video card) and no matter what options I select, I get the exact same prob.
I don't know what the hell to do man, I love playing this game, and it would be really sweet to be battling it out on the gorgeous battlefields those guys have recreated with the new textures.

~Des
Last edited by Staff on 18 Mar 2012, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split off to lock the other thread.
>> Xfire ID: desolator4u | Warzone 2100 Xfire Group: http://www.xfire.com/communities/theproject/ <<
sipendr
Greenhorn

Re: White textures? Black/corrupted screens? Crashes to desk

Post by sipendr »

I could neither run tutorials nor any single player multiplayer due to this OpenGL driver issue .I have 256 MB graphics RAM 400 MHz GPU ATI 1150 Xpress ,AMD Turion 1.6 Ghz 2 cores ,@.5 GB RAM but still cant run beta 4 .
crunch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crunch »

driver repository link
http://downloads.guru3d.com/

sorry if their doesn't seem to be many drivers for other OS\computers in this link .its probably because windows based systems\ibm compatible computers have about 92%+ market share and all the rest get to play around with the leftover 7% and believe me i hate micro $oft more then most and iv watch what bin going on since the apple ][+ {1978} & imho is time for a anti trust smash vs em once more but anyways.at lest they won in the UK on that topic.
im still pissed off about the ms dos 6.22 topic and what micro $oft bin doing with it ever since that is trying to kill command line every chance they get.

Operating System Share February, 2010
Windows----mac-----Linux------other
92.12%-----5.02%----0.98%------the rest of the %

as for people using win vista\win7 directx 10+ is broken on the direct draw {replaced by direct2d} and it doesn't support directx9c or older {direct 3d9}.it only douse so in emulation and it sucks balls.not for nothing i still use winxp.wake me up when win7 has a serves pack or something cus for now its not even funny how broken directx 10~11 is when your trying to use older software.

and ya agreed S3/Via/intel integrated is horrid the min you try and do anything 3d

and as parting words if people really cant get this version of warzone to work Eidos Interactive has given warzone 2100 to the public as freeware {cheers} so you could all ways download a copy of the original software if your having problem with this places version of it seeing as the original version of the software supports .

P166 MHz Processor
Windows 95 / Windows 98 /2000/xp
32 MB RAM
8X CD-ROM Drive
100% DirectX 6 Compliant Sound Card
DirectX 6.0 or higher (included)
512k sVGA ISA card {640x480x256 colors needed for software mode / 640x480 res 8-bit~256 colors =512K }

3Dfx glide {mini open GL} compatible with voodoo1\ direct 3D6 {micro suck} \ software mode {your video hardware sucks mode}

how come you guys don't have software mode anymore O_o ? ?
sorry in advance if this is over the top just delete and ill post it in the other place on the same topic if its a problem.
there we go one more satisfied customer.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

crunch wrote:how come you guys don't have software mode anymore O_o ? ?
It was too much work to maintain.
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Buginator wrote:What do all these have in common?
In almost all cases, this is the fault of crappy video drivers.

Here is a small article for the intel crowd: http://mjg59.livejournal.com/111853.html
GMA500 (which that article is about) is a fortunately relatively rare graphics chip Intel bought from PowerVR. It does not reflect the situation with the much more common graphcis chips developed by Intel themselves.
Intel, and S3/Via integrated gfx chipsets have pretty poor OpenGL support.
For Intel (with the exception of GMA500 noted above) there is an excellent free Linux driver.
In short, nobody on the dev team has inferior hardware. We have nobody that can debug the issue. We don't have anyone available that can fix intel's / S3/Via's /insert whoever here/ crappy drivers.

Philipp

We have a mix of AMD/ATI & Nvidia hardware, and if we had any issues that is caused by our code, we would, obviously, try to fix it.

[…]

The AMD/ATI & Nvidia proprietary drivers are better than the open source versions on linux.
This rant reads like you're about to fall into a trap of arrogance. When your code works with the Nvidia blob, but people complain it doesn't with Mesa you're likely to assume that it's the drivers fault. The truth could very well be that you're doing things that are undefined or implementation-defined or worse. To me this seems to be a common problem. Even id software falls for it sometimes (e.g. when they checked ARB_texture_compression only and assumed that it's presence implied the availability of the RGBA_S3TC_DXT1 texture format in one of their games; fortunately they fixed it in a later patch). Another, more recent example of a major organization falling for this trap is SPECviewperf11, which assumes that GL_ARB_vertex_program implies the availability some functionality from NV_fragment_program2, and doesn't bother to check for the presence of the latter¹.

Philipp

P.S.: ¹ Detail at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36295
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Not assuming i'm saying anything important here ...
GMA500
Unfortunately, I know what you mean (: Yeah, that's the only fail by Intel, but it's soooo epic (:
This rant reads like you're about to fall into a trap of arrogance.
Rather lack of manpower and testers, probably ;)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

PkK wrote:
Buginator wrote:What do all these have in common?
In almost all cases, this is the fault of crappy video drivers.

The AMD/ATI & Nvidia proprietary drivers are better than the open source versions on linux.
This rant reads like you're about to fall into a trap of arrogance. When your code works with the Nvidia blob, but people complain it doesn't with Mesa you're likely to assume that it's the drivers fault. The truth could very well be that you're doing things that are undefined or implementation-defined or worse. To me this seems to be a common problem. Even id software falls for it sometimes (e.g. when they checked ARB_texture_compression only and assumed that it's presence implied the availability of the RGBA_S3TC_DXT1 texture format in one of their games; fortunately they fixed it in a later patch). Another, more recent example of a major organization falling for this trap is SPECviewperf11, which assumes that GL_ARB_vertex_program implies the availability some functionality from NV_fragment_program2, and doesn't bother to check for the presence of the latter¹.

Philipp

P.S.: ¹ Detail at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36295
This is a pretty old topic, however, what I wrote still applies.

It isn't arrogance talking, it is experience with our codebase.
When it works on AMD's or Nvidia's binary blobs/drivers on linux / mac / windows, and it don't work on SiS/S3/intel, then it is a safe bet that the drivers are pretty much always the reason why.

Feel free to look at our codebase, and fix any errors you can find.

Thanks.
and it ends here.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

It isn't arrogance talking, it is experience with our codebase.
It is not just *our* codebase. Blender, another OpenGL app, has exactly the same issues with the same video cards and drivers. Bottom line: Intel sucks at Opengl; S3/Via aspires to merely suck as badly as intel. (sorry for all the hurt feelings. boo hoo hoo)

A couple things that have been shown to help:

Turn off compositing window managers. Aero, compiz, kde4 effects, etc.

Sometimes turning down hardware acceleration helps.

The manufacturer's drivers tend to do better than the open source ones. Certain chipset features and code are not disclosed.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Check texture size settings too, I've gotten corruption with mesa when they're too big.
ashadipenguin
New user

Post by ashadipenguin »

I have a MacBook Pro, running NVIDIA GeForce 9400m, and whenever i run the game, everything besides units/buildings is white. i can still see slopes and such, but its all different shades of white/black. i have all of the latest drivers by nvidia for my GPU. any ideas what may be the problem?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

ashadipenguin wrote:I have a MacBook Pro, running NVIDIA GeForce 9400m, and whenever i run the game, everything besides units/buildings is white. i can still see slopes and such, but its all different shades of white/black. i have all of the latest drivers by nvidia for my GPU. any ideas what may be the problem?
It is your drivers.
I am unsure how you update your Nvidia drivers on the mac, but they are broken for this game.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
ashadipenguin
New user

Post by ashadipenguin »

thanks for your help! i am currently have windows vista and Mac Leopard on my Mac, so i am just going to copy the game over to a flash drive and try and run it on the windows side.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

ashadipenguin wrote:I have a MacBook Pro, running NVIDIA GeForce 9400m, and whenever i run the game, everything besides units/buildings is white. i can still see slopes and such, but its all different shades of white/black. i have all of the latest drivers by nvidia for my GPU. any ideas what may be the problem?
The solution for this is mentioned on the Download page:

If you have a Nvidia based Mac running Mac OS X 10.5.6-10.5.9, there is a bug that makes the game look wrong. To fix, upgrade to 10.6 or higher, or use these custom Nvidia drivers: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 32089.html
ashadipenguin
New user

Post by ashadipenguin »

Ok cool thanks! updating now. you guys are the best!
stevanedo
New user

Post by stevanedo »

I really wanna play this game... Even my screen becomes black and I still playing this game.. I mean WZ2100 2.. until all maps and objectives completed...
but when I try to play the 3 Version, it crashes to desktop.. It said my video driver not support Open GL 1.4 please update, etc..
For information, my sister laptop specs is
Windows Vista SP 2
RAM 2GB
Silicon Integrated System VGA, Uni VGA 5

SiS UniVGA5 graphics driver
File Name R525v_Logo.zip
Version v 5.25
Release Date 2009-12-14
Support Products
SiS671FX , SiS671 , SiSM671 , SiSM671MX , SiS672FX , SiS672 , SiSM672 , SiSM672MX ,
File Size 14,747KB
Support OS Windows Vista
that's the last driver provide..
If I read first announced post here..seems no more hope to play this great game...
While I don't have money to buy new one, and my sister just enough to have like this...
But really, I will find a way to have new one, or while try contact SiS person to fix or support Open GL..
for now... I'm just visit around this site and forum to hear and watch all of your post, pictures of screenshot game, or bug...
I wish I could help...nice to know this game..at least...