when entering password for multiplayer...

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

when entering password for multiplayer...

Post by lav_coyote25 »

[warzone2100-dev] [Warzone 2100 Trac] #2969: when entering password for multiplayer...

in the most recent master - i have noticed that the password for joining a multi-player game is in the clear. now being as the password is the same for my credentials here on the forums, i find this an entirely unsafe method. should the passwords not be hidden by pips or stars or X's or something????? this should be fixed asap. thanks. i have submitted a ticket and here is a screen shot ( not my real password) of the password showing what i am describing. :)
Attachments
password in the clear.jpg
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: when entering password for multiplayer...

Post by Per »

You mean because people could look over your shoulder and see your password?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

yes. and if it is clear text showing, can this not be seen by others. always having been told to not put in a password that can be seen by others. nor stored in a text file somewhere. if this isn't what is happening, then explain it.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

In this case, your password isn't being used like you think...
All WZ edit boxes can't do what you want, since input wasn't part of the design that the pumpkin guys were thinking about.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Convention for password boxes is that they do as Coyote explained :stare: :...:
vexed wrote:All WZ edit boxes can't do what you want, since input wasn't part of the design that the pumpkin guys were thinking about.
You have the source code, don't you? XD
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Chojun wrote:Convention for password boxes is that they do as Coyote explained :stare: :...:
vexed wrote:All WZ edit boxes can't do what you want, since input wasn't part of the design that the pumpkin guys were thinking about.
You have the source code, don't you? XD
Well, source, yes, time, no. :stressed:
This is going to be reverted anyway, so the point is moot for now.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

perhaps is time to get rid of the password requirement, or is this what you mean by reverting???
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

lav_coyote25 wrote:perhaps is time to get rid of the password requirement, or is this what you mean by reverting???
Yea, reverting means that the login changes will be undone (i.e. not just remove the requirement of a login, but the existence of the login as well).
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

i.e. not just remove the requirement of a login, but the existence of the login as well
But ... that's ... bad. Everybody wants to get rid of fake names and fake ranks.
Inability to hide password is a bad reason for completely removing logins, i think, though i agree that anonymous access should still be possible.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

NoQ wrote:
i.e. not just remove the requirement of a login, but the existence of the login as well
But ... that's ... bad. Everybody wants to get rid of fake names and fake ranks.
Inability to hide password is a bad reason for completely removing logins, i think, though i agree that anonymous access should still be possible.
Indeed. I think most players were looking forward to logins.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

NoQ wrote:Inability to hide password is a bad reason for completely removing logins
How about "nobody has continued working on logins since they were included months ago"?
We want information... information... information.