Cant get rid of this mod!

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Re: Cant get rid of this mod!

Post by Lancefighter »

Zarel wrote:Anyway, terminology isn't that important. The question is, can we fix this? I think one possible solution would be to have Warzone reject all maps with that name.
can you have warzone not load the map until you join a game with it?
I mean to say, if warzone only looked at the map name until you loaded it in skirmish or MP? would that circumvent the issue? (certainly wont be a final solution, but then again, just rejecting all NTW-named maps is only a circumvention as well)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Lancefighter wrote:can you have warzone not load the map until you join a game with it?
I mean to say, if warzone only looked at the map name until you loaded it in skirmish or MP? would that circumvent the issue? (certainly wont be a final solution, but then again, just rejecting all NTW-named maps is only a circumvention as well)
The problem is, currently, you can't join a game until you know what maps you have, and you can't know what maps you have until you load them.

One idea might be to, upon game start, unload all the maps and then load only the one that's being used. I should probably make a to-do ticket about that.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Zarel wrote:Well, no, since you have to manually download a trojan. The NTW map, on the other hand, is automatically transferred if you join a game hosting it.
But it doesn't transfer itself, it is transferred by Warzone.
Anyway, terminology isn't that important. The question is, can we fix this? I think one possible solution would be to have Warzone reject all maps with that name.
I'd rather make the game only use the actual map files from the map archive, though I didn't have a good idea on how to do that yet (and it would break custom tilesets like in Ariza/Aurora).
Lancefighter wrote:can you have warzone not load the map until you join a game with it?
Not sure if we can delay loading the maps, I think we need the info to make the map list (but maybe we could unload them after that).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:But it doesn't transfer itself, it is transferred by Warzone.
And viruses don't transfer themselves, they're transferred by the operating system.

Interestingly, this distinction of viruses in meatspace is the main reason most biologists don't consider viruses to be alive. :P
cybersphinx wrote:I'd rather make the game only use the actual map files from the map archive, though I didn't have a good idea on how to do that yet (and it would break custom tilesets like in Ariza/Aurora).
The idea to unload the map files after that (so that only the active map is loaded upon game start) is actually a pretty nice idea.

We already unload and reload everything between the game setup screen and actually starting the game, so we barely need to rewrite anything.

On second thought, this is a pretty good idea.

One possible flaw: It would drop support for map packs packaged as maps. Which may or may not be a good thing.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Fixed, thanks to fastdeath on the IRC. I know a few other people are stuck with this, since they were int he server i was in when i joined.

I suggest a filesize limit on maps when hosting

something large enough to take in maps of any size, but small enough so that actual mods cant be uploaded to your server.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Verin wrote:Fixed, thanks to fastdeath on the IRC. I know a few other people are stuck with this, since they were int he server i was in when i joined.

I suggest a filesize limit on maps when hosting

something large enough to take in maps of any size, but small enough so that actual mods cant be uploaded to your server.
I don't think you can tell by filesize, it is possible to make a 1K mod.
I wonder if they can parse all the 'maps' and look for obvious signs of a mod ?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Bit late for that. I've already figured out a solution. :P
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Zarel wrote:Bit late for that. I've already figured out a solution. :P
What solution would that be ? :hmm:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Crymson wrote:What solution would that be ? :hmm:
Read up five posts from this one.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Zarel wrote:
Crymson wrote:What solution would that be ? :hmm:
Read up five posts from this one.
Once the map data is loaded, it is never needed again ? :hmm:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Crymson wrote:Once the map data is loaded, it is never needed again ? :hmm:
Load all maps. Display the map list. Once the map is selected, unload all the other maps and load only the selected map.

Seriously, have you been ignoring cybersphinx and me this whole thread? I guess that makes sense, since we spent most of the beginning of it arguing about the definition of "virus". :P
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

I still think it's cool how a virus is a nonliving object.

oops.. :lol2:
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

delete map mod out of your maps folder.
virus... rofl, nubs ya :lol2:
sry, i promise to never host a map mod again :3.

-- Delphinio