Units tipped

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
kringled
Trained
Trained

Units tipped

Post by kringled »

While playing the campaign again (alpha 6) last night, I noticed that my units seemed to be moving very slowly. The cause was a bit tricky to see at first, but eventually it became clear that even on flat ground, units were very prone to moving around in a "tipped up" orientation, as if they were climbing a ramp. It's a bit hard to see from a near-overhead view, but moving the camera around to a side-on sort of view makes it quite apparent. Has anyone else seen this? I'd attach screenshots, but I don't have a way to get them below 100kB. (100-200k with a low quality JPEG is the best I've done). Other symptoms are that the back end of the vehicles becomes hard to see (because it's sticking down into the ground).
I have to play around a bit and see if I can reproduce it in a different session, starting from the level start again, but if I can, I'll be posting it as a bug.

Keith
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Units tipped

Post by JDW »

kringled wrote:I'd attach screenshots, but I don't have a way to get them below 100kB. (100-200k with a low quality JPEG is the best I've done)
You could use image manipulation program tools like Crop (to cut out parts of an image that you don't need) and Scale (change the resolution) to make an image size lesser than 100KB. GIMP is a popular program in Linux, but there are so many on every other platform.

Regards,
j0shdrunk0nwar
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

I managed to use Preview to crop (while waiting for GIMP for MacOS to download) and produced the attached image.

This is part of the alpha 6 map, the bridge between the two New Paradigm bases on the plateau. You can see that even though most of the units are on a relatively flat ground, they mostly look oddly tipped up.
Attachments
tipped_units_crop.jpg
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

but if I can, I'll be posting it as a bug

If you do, be sure to include the version of WZ you are playing. A similar bug was fixed some time back.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

:lol2:
wheely wars!
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Oops, forgot to mention, this is 2.3.1. I didn't notice this issue when I played through that same level in 2.3.0, but it still could be a quirky one-time thing.

Keith
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

:idea: looks like they are testing how much ther tanks engines can handel :idea: :wink:
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Curiouser and curiouser. It happens with both 2.3.0 and 2.3.1, and in both campaign and skirmish. However, it only seems to happen at 0.3x game speed, and I can re-level the units by momentarily changing game speed. It also only happens on my newer MacBookPro (Intel based), and not my older PPC Mac. I have no idea about the ease or not of reproducing this on another system.

Keith
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

kringled wrote:Curiouser and curiouser. It happens with both 2.3.0 and 2.3.1, and in both campaign and skirmish. However, it only seems to happen at 0.3x game speed, and I can re-level the units by momentarily changing game speed. It also only happens on my newer MacBookPro (Intel based), and not my older PPC Mac. I have no idea about the ease or not of reproducing this on another system.

Keith
.3x ? That is too slow for my blood. I usually "play" at much higher speeds.
and it ends here.
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Yeah, it's probably why it hasn't been listed by anyone else here. I tend to play at slow speeds when there's a lot of combat going on, as I can't really manage things to my satisfaction otherwise. I can upload it into Trac if it's useful.
Bugi
New user

Post by Bugi »

Been suffering from this "nose up" behaviour as long as I can remember.
I can confirm the "at 0.3 time rate only". I can add this little detail into it; the problem is not about nose getting up, its about the nose not getting back down at the slowest speed. That is, any time the vehicle moves so that it needs to point more up, it will orientate appropriately, but when it should rotate toward downhill orientation, it just doesn't happen.

Also, while playing skirmishes, I noticed that sometimes this bug seems to not be there, everything seems to work correctly. Though this might just be my brains filtering things out while being still awake some hours past midnight. But considering that I've noticed other randomly affecting bugs at times (e.g. after one loading I somehow saw the whole map, though fogged as should, but after next reload it was all back to normal blackness), maybe this is one of those randomly affecting bugs.

There is another slowest speed -only bug I've spotted, but can't remember it now. Affects/shows up rarely. :P

Oh yeah, slowest speed rules when you're being approached by two groups of twice the size of your defending groups at different ends of your area, you're popping 3 researches ready at the same time, and on top of that trying to handle two stupid sensor units who soooooo want to go pursuit an enemy they spotted going away (even when they have been told to stay put) pulling the even more idiotic howitzers along with them into the suicide picnic trip.

(Oh yeah, this is my first post here.. maybe I'll get another heroic activity session someday and post another message about all the other bugs I've noticed).
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

hmm, the pimped out propulsion... erm, upgrade :lol2:
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Bugi wrote:Been suffering from this "nose up" behaviour as long as I can remember.
I can confirm the "at 0.3 time rate only". I can add this little detail into it; the problem is not about nose getting up, its about the nose not getting back down at the slowest speed. That is, any time the vehicle moves so that it needs to point more up, it will orientate appropriately, but when it should rotate toward downhill orientation, it just doesn't happen.

Also, while playing skirmishes, I noticed that sometimes this bug seems to not be there, everything seems to work correctly. Though this might just be my brains filtering things out while being still awake some hours past midnight. But considering that I've noticed other randomly affecting bugs at times (e.g. after one loading I somehow saw the whole map, though fogged as should, but after next reload it was all back to normal blackness), maybe this is one of those randomly affecting bugs.

There is another slowest speed -only bug I've spotted, but can't remember it now. Affects/shows up rarely. :P

Oh yeah, slowest speed rules when you're being approached by two groups of twice the size of your defending groups at different ends of your area, you're popping 3 researches ready at the same time, and on top of that trying to handle two stupid sensor units who soooooo want to go pursuit an enemy they spotted going away (even when they have been told to stay put) pulling the even more idiotic howitzers along with them into the suicide picnic trip.

(Oh yeah, this is my first post here.. maybe I'll get another heroic activity session someday and post another message about all the other bugs I've noticed).
What OS/hardware are you using?