Sound Problem?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Xavier
New user

Sound Problem?

Post by Xavier »

Im new here so 1st thing id like to say is that i know what im doing :o
[im even rebuilding another old game to a newer game :D, like people are doing here and its actually more advanced]

So anyways the problem is the game is only loading a certain amount of sounds at the same time, which might be the same problem This guy is having.
Once the game reachs the limit of sound effects it wont play any added sound effects but mine happed to be stuck at like 6-8 :o?
The game im working on had a similar problem until an option to change the max sounds playable was implemented.
What happens is like 6 cannons fire you wont hear any sfx from anyone else while there firing so once i build a small base, say 2 factories 3 oil pumps and a powerplant it will outsound all other SFX vehicles driving etc.
Is there anyway to change this, i could fix it probably :P but im too busy to start working on another game?
Giel
Regular
Regular

Re: Sound Problem?

Post by Giel »

Well this is partially due to OpenAL imposing (undefined by spec!!) limits on the amount of sound samples that can be played at the same time. And partially due to the rather poorly managed sound code.

I'm currently working on a replacement sound implementation (utilizes C++ for manageability) though this might take a while (several months?) since a) the OpenAL specification is annoyingly ambiguous and b) my exams are starting soon.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Xavier
New user

Re: Sound Problem?

Post by Xavier »

Yeah i thought so after i was messing with it still cant get the openAL to work for me right :D, I was screwing around and i got the whole game in a single 21MB exe though ;D, it runs fine too if anyone wants it i can give it to them ;).