linux mandriva; sdl, opengl, openal, autopackage, source, bins' et al

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
knoba
New user

linux mandriva; sdl, opengl, openal, autopackage, source, bins' et al

Post by knoba »

Praise be to god, mahl and the devels' for this fine game.  8) I played 2.0.4.run from Lokis' house, last year, no wozzers.

A version (?) comes with my rpm dist which i installed and can only play with the 'software' tag upto the point where i first get a transporter. I load it up with tanks, flies orf and am presented with a blank landscape. No transporter, tanks, enemies, zero. If I click on the image map menu the game reports I failed.  :-X Del'ed conf etc.

I tried to install from the auto package series:- 2.0.5 (software only,  Open*L wont run) v.slowly get to the game screen, it crashes with an output in the CLI of "sdl parachute deployed... something" , uped the res, downed the res - nada. The "2.0.5_rc1" is much better looking on the intro screen but again crashes. Searched these forums - tried bits, dist club, googled, tried the fixes from auto package and still no hubba. :-[

Not a prob, onto the source. 2.0.5 + rc1 wont compile at the ./configure stage. Complaints about missing mandatory OpenGL support. Iv'e installed everything with Opengl, openal, glut, sdl, physFS etc i can find on my dist list. RPMBoned etc and nought. :-\

Have tried other things too, but i cant remember what. It's been a couple of days now... must remember to eat.

I would like to go from the source if poss and I'm guessing here (the names' pronounced nooba btw) that its Mandrivas tree up the gooner with linking libs an exes etc.
checking SDL/SDL_opengl.h usability... yes
checking SDL/SDL_opengl.h presence... yes
checking for SDL/SDL_opengl.h... yes
checking for main in -lGL... no
checking for main in -lopengl32... no
checking for main in -lGLU... no
checking for main in -lglu32... no
checking OpenGL... no
configure: error: OpenGL is currently mandatory

------------------------

When i try
[root@localhost warzone-2.0.5_rc1]# apropos opengl
GLwCreateMDrawingArea (3x)  - Create a Motif/OpenGL Drawing Widget. .iX GLwCreateMDrawingArea .iX creation functions .sp 1
GLwDrawingArea      (3x)  - OpenGL drawing widgets. .iX GLwDrawingArea GLwMDrawingArea .iX widget class OpenGL Draw .sp 1
GLwMDrawingArea [GLwDrawingArea] (3x)  - OpenGL drawing widgets. .iX GLwDrawingArea GLwMDrawingArea .iX widget class OpenGL Draw .sp 1
QGL [qgl]            (3qt)  - Namespace for miscellaneous identifiers in the Qt OpenGL module
QGLContext [qglcontext] (3qt)  - Encapsulates an OpenGL rendering context
QGLFormat [qglformat] (3qt)  - The display format of an OpenGL rendering context
QGLWidget [qglwidget] (3qt)  - Widget for rendering OpenGL graphics
SDL::OpenGL          (3pm)  - a perl extension
crack-attack        (6)  - multiplayer OpenGL puzzle game like Tetris Attack
glXIntro            (3x)  - Introduction to OpenGL in the X window system
glxinfo              (1x)  - display info about a GLX extension and OpenGL renderer

-------------------------
[root@localhost warzone-2.0.5_rc1]# whereis opengl
opengl:

bash$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.12-29mdk #1  i686 Pentium III GNU/Linux
Mandrivel 2006
GeForce nVidia 4000MX 128Mb
512Mb Ram
Source kernal, dkms, nVidia8776.plf

Any ideas on how to get this thing to swing? I'm on "the dark side" of the source. Have I got opengl or not?
O/S - Linux
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: linux mandriva; sdl, opengl, openal, autopackage, source, bins' et al

Post by DevUrandom »

In binary distros you usually need not only the apropriate package, but also the -dev version of it in addition.
i.e. libGL and libGLU should be part of mesa and the headers GL/gl.h and so on should be in mesa-dev (or similar).
If you don't have a GL card, then you can only try using Mesa, but I guess it will run very very very slowly. (If Mesa was compiled with good optimization it might work if you got a good CPU. But then I doubt that a binary distro will squeeze everything out of the compiler...)
knoba
New user

Re: linux mandriva; sdl, opengl, openal, autopackage, source, bins' et al

Post by knoba »

Thanks for your time there DevUrandom, due to your support, i figured it must be someting greater! Ahh the restorative powers of sleep. :P

For anyone else with this ish;

Added the freshest stipped kernel sauce and re-compiled with the latest nVidia driver (legacy for oldish card "from nVidia" - already had nVidia plf as have the powerpack vers. whats up with that? ) and got an up an running 2.0.5rc1 from autopackage.

Hey, hey hey... lerkin good.

Now, to build me an empire, damn them scavengers...
O/S - Linux