Erm...Tank Killers more powerful than Scourge?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Erm...Tank Killers more powerful than Scourge?

Post by Kacen »

Is this normal?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Erm...Tank Killers more powerful than Scourge?

Post by lav_coyote25 »

no - scourge should be the more powerfull of the 2. xD
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, that was true in 2.1, but I changed that for 2.2. TKs can be more powerful when you first get Scourge, but Scourge should be better after a few upgrades.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Yeah I wasn't counting upgrades, but I compared the original scourge stats in game with the fully upgraded tank killer and the scourge had 360 damage while the tank killer was 600. Scourge had approximately twice the range though.

Thing is I assumed anti-tank missile upgrades were applied to all AT missiles (Lancer, Tank Killer, Scourge) so I thought it didn't matter if I didn't research all the missile upgrades.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, there's no such thing as "anti-tank missile upgrades". There are "rocket upgrades", which affect all rockets, AT or otherwise (lancer, TK, BB, ripple), and there are "missile upgrades", which affect all missiles, AT or otherwise (scourge, avenger, vindicator, angel, archie). Lancers and TKs are not missiles.

Meh. More people need to realize this. Rockets and missiles are not the same thing. (In addition to the different upgrades, missiles are homing; rockets are not.)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Missles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile

ok... rockets / missles are pretty much the same. read the entire articles. xD
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Rockets and missiles are both similar in being long skinny things with fire coming out the back, but generally speaking, in the world of blowing stuff up, rockets are usually unguided projectiles while missiles have some sort of guidance mechanism. Not a hard and fast distinction, but good enough for our purposes. Real world examples are unguided Katyusha artillery rockets vs TOW anti-tank missiles.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I don't mean that they mean different things in English, but that they mean different things in Warzone. In Warzone, missiles are always guided, rockets are always unguided. Missiles are also generally longer range.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Zarel wrote:Erm, there's no such thing as "anti-tank missile upgrades". There are "rocket upgrades", which affect all rockets, AT or otherwise (lancer, TK, BB, ripple), and there are "missile upgrades", which affect all missiles, AT or otherwise (scourge, avenger, vindicator, angel, archie). Lancers and TKs are not missiles.

Meh. More people need to realize this. Rockets and missiles are not the same thing. (In addition to the different upgrades, missiles are homing; rockets are not.)
Umm, I know rockets and missiles aren't the same thing.

I just thought Lancers, Tank Killers, and Scourges were in the same class of weapons, thus subject to the same upgrades.

I swore all three were considered "anti-tank missiles" whilst rockets were mini-pods and mini-rocket artillery.

I know Lancers and Tank Killers are unguided but I always considered them missiles regardless in Warzone, in the same class as the Scourge.

Once you get Tank Killers you replace Lancers with them and then the Scourges replace Tank Killers, generally.

Err, I guess I always went by appearances.

Lancers, Tank Killers, Ripples, Angels, Archangels, and Scourges have the same projectile FX (the "flame"), whilst mini-pods and mini-rocket artillery have the blue glow ball.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Kacen wrote:I know Lancers and Tank Killers are unguided but I always considered them missiles regardless in Warzone, in the same class as the Scourge.
Lancer AT Rocket
Tank Killer Rocket
Scourge Missile

O_o The words "Rocket" and "Missile" are part of their names...

Not to mention their upgrades:

HEAT Rocket Warhead
Improved Rocket Wire Guidance
Rocket Autoloader

I can understand confusion over whether or not Mini-Rockets were Rockets (they're not), but not whether rockets were missiles...
truckspin
Greenhorn

Post by truckspin »

hello,

on a related note: It makes no sense that lancer hardpoints cannot be built later in the game anymore. In many, many, many situations they are a better choice than tank killer or scourge due to their much, much, much better dps/cost ratio. Only in a few cases does dps/used space or range matter so much that a scourge hardpoint or a tank killer hardpoint would be used.

dps means dps@typical armor, not dps@a0

A workaround is to never research tank killer or scourge hardpoints, which works as long as I don't want to mix them in as well.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, with both fully upgraded, Scourge has higher DPS/price. Let's calculate DPS at 50 armor and a theoretical 1x multiplier. Scourge has a DPS of 198, Lancer has a DPS of 61.

Then compare their hardpoint prices: 350, 150.

Scourge gets 0.566 DPS per power point.
Lancer gets 0.407 DPS per power point.

Plus, the longer range matters a lot in the lategame, considering your enemy will have T3 weapons, nearly all of which can outrange a lancer.

I do agree about TK hardpoint, though - after the rebalance, it's way too expensive.
truckspin
Greenhorn

Post by truckspin »

hello,

2 1/3 lancer hardpoints also have 2 1/3 times the HP of 1 scourge hardpoint. Very recently I was in the situation that I had to prepare for a massive flamer tank invasion, so scourge hardpoints would be a bad choice there compared to what lancer hardpoints can do in that situation.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Meh. Should I lower the price of Scourge hardpoint, then?
truckspin
Greenhorn

Post by truckspin »

I suggest to make tank killer hardpoints a little cheaper and keep scourge hardpoints as they are. But sometimes I can't build lancer hardpoints after researching a more modern hardpoint, and sometimes I can. Whatever the rule here is, it would be nice if lancer hardpoints would never be outdated. Unless tank killer hardpoints become almost as cheap.