Coding environment

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Rorschach
Greenhorn

Coding environment

Post by Rorschach »

First off, thanks for doing a great job guys - just hope you will get to the point of being able to play the rpl files as I myself is more keen on playing single player missions than mp skirmishes. I have the original disks and knowing they're there and I can't see the ugly face of Nexus tears me up. My point of interest in programming would be the AI specifically. Been a decade since I last ate a c++ function, and even longer since I worked with Unix V, so it's trial and error for me.

Right now it's all error:

I feel much like an idiot not being able to compile the sources released, but I think the reason is I'm trying to do it on a vanilla system (on WinXP sp2 to be sure).  Installed according to the compile.html-guide and tried compiling. Errors such as BOOL not being defined popped up, and still does on v2.0.3 - probably because I don't know how to add a path to MS Platform SDK I got for the occasion. I have no idea where to start or what to do about the configurations for compiling. One thing is for sure;
It won't work without the proper header files, and the mingw and devpack includes aren't enough.

Next up is not finding the lib files  (i.e. lib/gamelib/*) - which resolves to my lack of scripting knowledge. Tried importing the makerules etc from 2.0.4 rc2 (which did compile up to the part where the endian definitions are being used - and there it stopped), but that failed.. so I need help. Anyone? please?
(Before you ask.. Knowing that 2.0.3 works - as long as you don't try to zoom in too far - made me want to see what I could do with my limited abilities to improve on it. Just to get back into programming  ;) )
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Coding environment

Post by DevUrandom »

Rorschach wrote: First off, thanks for doing a great job guys - just hope you will get to the point of being able to play the rpl files as I myself is more keen on playing single player missions than mp skirmishes.
They wont show up anymore as the rpl codec is closed source and the rpl files are not under the GPL.
Either we recreate the whole set of videos from scratch or we find another system to tell the story.
As long as no one pops up doing the first in good quality we will think about the latter.

Right now it's all error:
Rorschach wrote: I feel much like an idiot not being able to compile the sources released, but I think the reason is I'm trying to do it on a vanilla system (on WinXP sp2 to be sure).  Installed according to the compile.html-guide and tried compiling. Errors such as BOOL not being defined popped up, and still does on v2.0.3 - probably because I don't know how to add a path to MS Platform SDK I got for the occasion. I have no idea where to start or what to do about the configurations for compiling. One thing is for sure;
It won't work without the proper header files, and the mingw and devpack includes aren't enough.

Next up is not finding the lib files  (i.e. lib/gamelib/*) - which resolves to my lack of scripting knowledge. Tried importing the makerules etc from 2.0.4 rc2 (which did compile up to the part where the endian definitions are being used - and there it stopped), but that failed.. so I need help. Anyone? please?
Perhaps http://wz.rootzilla.de/wiki/user:windows_compile_guide can help you?
Please ask again if it doesn't.
Rorschach
Greenhorn

Post by Rorschach »

I'm using MinGW through msys, and even tried dev-cpp (that failed rather miserably, but won't give up on it yet).
Apart from getting the latest source, I've done all this. Problem here is that the 2.0.3 makefiles differs greatly from v2.0.4 versions, and as such doesn't have the script including the variables for pointing to the working directory, nor accessing config.mk.
If there's a simple way using autoconfig or any of the scripts available, please advice. I'll just copy all the scripts from the newest version for now.

Thanks.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

You can also run:
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make

But when I tried it, it was quite difficult, because I had to install all libs in the MSys environment. That's why I rewrote the Makefile.raw build system.
The Makefile.raw solution works even without MSys. (Just cmd.exe and MinGW are required.)

The probably easiest solution is to either use the svn version (if you want to stay very close to current development) or use the 2.0.4_rc2 prerelease (or 2.0.4 which should be released this week).

HTH
Rorschach
Greenhorn

Post by Rorschach »

Then I'll rely on the newest makefile.raw :) It compiled as it should, but the autopackage failed this time. Most probably because I've tried autogen and configure - seeing absolute paths being looked up, and it wasn't on my system. (Ref to:\home\Rob\Physfs..). I'll just reinstall the whole thing and be a bit more critical about what I do.
And to be honest, I feel more comfortable in msys than in msdos. Really an old Amiga fanatic at heart.

Good to see people who know their business. Thank you!