Has anyone worked out what's going on with Mac OS X 10.5.7

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Re: Has anyone worked out what's going on with Mac OS X 10.5.7

Post by lowededwookie »

cybersphinx wrote:Well, the general tone of this thread is probably due to the situation which is frustrating for all of us: A new OS version breaks rendering, users can't play, we don't know how to fix it, and nobody knows if Apple/Nvidia will ever do anything about it.
I do understand that. I've been in similar situations myself often.

This is why I want to help out as much as I can.

I have posted on the Apple Discussion site to see if anyone has any ideas what might be going on:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... &stqc=true

If you like I can PM you all my e-mail address so you can directly communicate with me.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Here's a debug log from a black/silver MacBook (the one the only had for a short time before they renamed it to the MacBook Pro.

http://aesoft.org/zarel/rq/warzone/debug-macbook.txt

I also got debug logs of the Mac Pro and iMac. Apparently they both use GeForce GT 120s now, which means that virtually all Apple products currently sold that can run Warzone have the Warzone rendering bug (Apparently you can configure 24" iMacs and Mac Pros with Radeon cards, but they're extremely rare).

http://aesoft.org/zarel/rq/warzone/debug-macpro.txt
http://aesoft.org/zarel/rq/warzone/debug-imac.txt

(Aside: Kamaze, fix the attachment quota)

Incidentally, getting these debug logs were pretty fun.

So I walk into an Apple store to generate debug logs and note symptoms of the OS X rendering error. A rep comes up to me and is like "Can I help you?" and I'm like "Not unless you know how to debug OpenGL problems" and she's like "Nope" and leaves.

I manage to get through a MacBook, a Mac Pro, and was starting to download Warzone into an iMac before another rep finally asks me, "Are you downloading something onto our computers?"

And I was like "Um... yeah. Is that not allowed?"

And he's like "What are you downloading?"

I eventually manage to explain that I'm a developer and am debugging Warzone, but this takes a few tries.

He leaves, and a few minutes later comes back and is like "I'm going to have to ask you to leave; you can't do developer testing on our demo Macs"

Fortunately, I've finished debugging the iMac by then.

Close call.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Hm, I don't see anything obviously wrong in those logs...

The problem is somewhere in the old terrain rendering, the question is where... Do the videos work on those systems?
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

cybersphinx wrote:Hm, I don't see anything obviously wrong in those logs...

The problem is somewhere in the old terrain rendering, the question is where... Do the videos work on those systems?
Yes. They work great. Well in the release version anyway.

How do I compile with the video in? Is it a switch or do I just download another package and insert them manually into the main app?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

lowededwookie wrote:How do I compile with the video in? Is it a switch or do I just download another package and insert them manually into the main app?
http://wz2100.net/download

See the footnote for sequences.wz? Read it. I've transcribed it here:

sequences.wz (video file) [2]
[2] Place this file in Program Files/Warzone 2100/sequences.wz in Windows, ~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100 2.2/sequences.wz in Mac OS X, or ~/.warzone2100-2.2/sequences.wz in Linux.
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

Thanks, I'm doing that now.

Sorry, I was following the build guide and didn't think to go to the downloads section for that. Typical.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

I have skimmed over what has been said, and for the most part, I am pretty sure that nobody on the dev team has access to a mac with 10.5.7 and a Nvidia card.

What people with those machines should do is:
http://developer.apple.com/graphicsimag ... image.html
Just set it to break on error.

Then report back what the error is.

I really don't think it is the way we handle openGL calls, however, it *may* be GLee (try compiling with earlier versions, to see if the problem is still there)
http://www.elf-stone.com/glee.php

At least that is a beginning...

I won't be around again for awhile, so don't expect a answer right away (at least from me, the others may chime in though).
and it ends here.
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

Is that Apple tool meant to make the game take a million years to load?

Seriously it took like an hour to basically get past the first movie.

If it is and it's because it is doing intensive testing of every single line of code then that's cool and I will run the test again and leave it overnight but if not then I have to revisit why it might be doing that.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

lowededwookie wrote:Is that Apple tool meant to make the game take a million years to load?

If it is and it's because it is doing intensive testing of every single line of code then that's cool and I will run the test again and leave it overnight but if not then I have to revisit why it might be doing that.
Yes, that's exactly it - it's doing testing of every single line of code, so it's pretty slow. If you normally have no problems with the first movie, though, see if you can skip it (Esc works, iirc).
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

lowededwookie wrote:Is that Apple tool meant to make the game take a million years to load?

Status?

I read this:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?sto ... 3093736175
Monday, July 13 2009 @ 09:37 AM PDT
Nvidia reportedly recommending GeForce driver updates before forthcoming Mac OS X 10.5.8
Macworld is reporting that Nvidia is recommending Mac Pro users with GeForce FX 4800 or GTX 285 graphics chips update the Mac drivers for their systems.

The report says that "the driver update is needed to maintain Mac OS X kernel compatibility, and will affect users who plan to update to Mac OS X 10.5.8."

If you have either of these graphics cards installed in your Mac Pro you should download and install the drivers before updating Leopard to 10.5.8.
Does anyone have anyone that can test with these?

I sure hope they fix it!
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

No, that's not the fix we're looking for.
jfisher
New user

Post by jfisher »

I have a macbook affected by this issue. What can I do to help? I'm an experienced windows professional, but I literally just got this mac last week and know very little of its ins and outs. How can i get this tool that buginator mentoned? If someone can help me like a relative noob I'm more than willing to do what i can. I've loved WZ2100 since i played it on Playstation and really want to contribute.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

jfisher wrote:I have a macbook affected by this issue. What can I do to help? I'm an experienced windows professional, but I literally just got this mac last week and know very little of its ins and outs. How can i get this tool that buginator mentoned? If someone can help me like a relative noob I'm more than willing to do what i can. I've loved WZ2100 since i played it on Playstation and really want to contribute.
Buginator provided this link when he mentioned the tool:

http://developer.apple.com/graphicsimag ... image.html

I believe it comes with Mac OS X.
marbles
New user

Post by marbles »

Ok, triggered by the enthousiasm of jfisher, I also tried to do a trace... I am watching this thread for a while but I though someone will do it sooner then I can get registered....
Appearantly not :)

First of all, the OpenGL Profiler is not on a new iMac. The "developer" directory is very empty. You can only get it via the Apple Developer Connection website.
You can become a member for free (you can log in with AppleID) and download the developer tools. It's part of 'Xcode". I downloaded the OpenGL Profiler update only, it seems to work.

So, I have an 2009 iMac 24", OSX 10.5.7 and Nvidia GT 120.

I did the trace, but to be hounest, I have no (realistic) idea what I'm doing. As far as I can see, I get no errors....
Here is a screenshot, maybe someone with knowledge can see immediately something that I'm doing wrong....
screenshot_trace.jpg
I ticked all the "break on error" boxes, not much happened...

I have a 14MB trace file, zipped 1.6 MB. Anyone interested??
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

As far as I can see, I get no errors....
This suggests that WZ is not doing something wrong with OpenGL and the root of the problem is the display driver - something Apple or the card vendor will need to deal with.