Has anyone worked out what's going on with Mac OS X 10.5.7

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Has anyone worked out what's going on with Mac OS X 10.5.7

Post by lowededwookie »

Has anyone worked out what's going on with Mac OS X 10.5.7?

Still getting the problem using an NVidia MacBook Pro where the background isn't rendered at all.

It looks like this:

The game is pretty much useless.

I could get the previous drivers from 10.5.2 because they seem to work but I have no idea where they are located to do this.

Anyone?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Has anyone worked out what's going on with Mac OS X 10.5.7

Post by cybersphinx »

lowededwookie wrote:Has anyone worked out what's going on with Mac OS X 10.5.7?
None of our developers has a Nvidia Mac. And it seems nobody who has one has the knowledge (or time etc.) to figure out what the exact problem is.
The game is pretty much useless.
Your graphics driver is pretty much useless.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Meh, want to debug the game for us? I think Mac OS X comes with an OpenGL debugger. We might actually be able to fix something that way.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Depending on your graphics hardware, certain versions of the OSX 10.5.* series are known to have broken OpenGL drivers. Rolling back to a previous version is a known fix.

You will probably get better support and info asking about OpenGL on an OSX specific forum.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

So I went to my local Apple store and did a test.

Apparently Warzone doesn't run on _any_ currently-sold MacBook or MacBook Pro.

:( What should we do?
iMac
Trained
Trained

Post by iMac »

I've been playing Warzone 2.2.1 on this Macbook since yesterday with no problems...

Here are the specs straight from System Profiler:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f0
Serial Number (system): W8817D6U0P0
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2a02
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.7.0

OpenGL:
Version: 1.5.10
Last Modified: 10/4/08 1:34 AM
Get Info String: OpenGL 1.5.10.7.0
Private: No
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

iMac wrote:I've been playing Warzone 2.2.1 on this Macbook since yesterday with no problems...
That's a MacBook from early-to-mid-2008 (In fact, it's pretty much the same one I have). It's no longer sold.

All the MacBooks that are currently being sold (the ones that have Nvidia video cards, to be exact) do not render Warzone correctly. :/

Well, actually, I guess there are probably Apple stores that are still trying to get rid of their old stock, and you can probably buy them refurbished, but in general, they're no longer available.
iMac
Trained
Trained

Post by iMac »

Ahhh I couldn't remember exactly when it was I bought this Mac... :-S
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

Zarel wrote:So I went to my local Apple store and did a test.

Apparently Warzone doesn't run on _any_ currently-sold MacBook or MacBook Pro.

:( What should we do?
I really want to help out because I love this game.

My biggest problem is that I do not have any programming experience.

Is there anything I can do to help?

I do have a copy of XCode so if you want me to try different compiling methods then I'm more than happy to try this so long as you walk me through it.

Considering all the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros are using NVidia it means currently there is a large potential market that can't play this game so it makes sense to try and get this sorted. :)
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Hm, could we make --debug all --debugfile wz-log.txt the default for Macs (and maybe Windows), since those users mostly don't even know what a command line is? Perhaps that could give us some info on what's going on.
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

cybersphinx wrote:Hm, could we make --debug all --debugfile wz-log.txt the default for Macs (and maybe Windows), since those users mostly don't even know what a command line is? Perhaps that could give us some info on what's going on.
Umm I know full well what a command line is. I use it every day so don't expect everyone to fall into the mindless prejudiced view you have of we Mac owners. Hell, I suspect most of the people coming to this game are not those who know nothing about the commandline.

Thing is we try to offer some help and we get smarmy comments from people like you and you expect us to go out of our way to help? It's hardly worth our efforts but luckily I like this game and I'm not here for you so my offer to help where I can stands.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:Hm, could we make --debug all --debugfile wz-log.txt the default for Macs (and maybe Windows), since those users mostly don't even know what a command line is? Perhaps that could give us some info on what's going on.
I'm not sure if that would help - most bugs are crashes, and the game already generates crashdumps for those. For this specific case, I can go generate a debug log tomorrow (during my visit to the Apple store).
lowededwookie wrote:Umm I know full well what a command line is. I use it every day so don't expect everyone to fall into the mindless prejudiced view you have of we Mac owners. Hell, I suspect most of the people coming to this game are not those who know nothing about the commandline.
He said "mostly", and didn't target it towards anyone specific. While it is clear that you are an exception, the fact stands that the majority of users are not proficient with a command line. For those users that are, the majority of them probably would prefer not to use them - I know I'm one of them: if I can get by without opening the Terminal, I'd prefer it that way.
lowededwookie wrote:Thing is we try to offer some help and we get smarmy comments from people like you and you expect us to go out of our way to help? It's hardly worth our efforts but luckily I like this game and I'm not here for you so my offer to help where I can stands.
He didn't mean to offend you, and we're sorry we did. In his defense, he wasn't talking about you, but about Windows and Mac users in general.
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

First I apologise for the wording of my previous post. Seriously though the previous posts all do seem quite condescending which doesn't make anyone feel like going out of their way to do anything.

That being said I've got a little closer.

I downloaded the code and did an install on my machine. This is the result:

I did nothing but use this command:

Code: Select all

xcodebuild -project Warzone.xcodeproj -target Warzone -configuration Debug
It's a massive step in the right direction although there is still some discrepancies.

I've posted the build information that XCode gave but I'm not sure if this is what you are after.

http://files.me.com/lowededwookie/ijg7zv

Sorry about the link but I kept getting errors about the quota on the site being maxed out.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Well, the general tone of this thread is probably due to the situation which is frustrating for all of us: A new OS version breaks rendering, users can't play, we don't know how to fix it, and nobody knows if Apple/Nvidia will ever do anything about it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

lowededwookie wrote:I downloaded the code and did an install on my machine. This is the result:
So the new renderer works, but the decals (which use the old renderer) do not. Interesting. And the unit models themselves are always fine, it's just the terrain that's broken. Interesting...