EditWorld32: resolving "Error reading PCX"

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
zydonk
Trained
Trained

EditWorld32: resolving "Error reading PCX"

Post by zydonk »

I have seen this problem raised a number of times and the standard reply seems to be "read the tutorial", despite the fact the tut does not address this issue at all.

So, for all those who have simply dumped the EW32 and gone and moped in a corner (instead of making much-desired new maps), here is the solution in detail.

Run regedit and work your way to:

computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Warzone 2100 development project\Edit World\Directories

here you will find a list of directories for various elements. The only one of interest is the directory reference for PROJECT. You will see that the dir listed is "SAMPLES". It should be the installation directory itself, so simply delete "/SAMPLES".

That's it. EW32 should now work fine.

btw, I notice that the directory for Dataset has been corrected. Why can't that for Project also be corrected? Thus there would be less hassle for everyone, and Lav could get back to some important work...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: EditWorld32: resolving "Error reading PCX"

Post by Zarel »

Is the tutorial a wiki page? If so, you can add this yourself. Would be much appreciated.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

make 100 per cent sure that is the answer to the problem. the answer i provided in the tutorial works for those that use editworld32. but if this is a better work around - then yes!! by all means add it to the wikki. please!! and thankyou. :3 :3 :D
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

lav_coyote25 wrote:make 100 per cent sure that is the answer to the problem. the answer i provided in the tutorial works for those that use editworld32. but if this is a better work around - then yes!! by all means add it to the wikki. please!! and thankyou. :3 :3 :D
Actually, I finally found the instructions in the tutorial (thanks to your reply to a post of mine elsewhere). My method is a long-winded way of doing what your little dialog does.

I hope this is a diplomatic way of putting it: I would expect procedures necessary for the actual successful use of EW32 to be detailed at the very start of a tutorial. EW32 cannot be used until the directory entries in the registry are corrected, yet the instruction on how this is to be done is hidden in a cul-de-sac with no explicit link. Now that I've started, let me continue: it is necessary each time EW32 is loaded that the tile texture size be changed from 64 to 128, but the warning for this is buried deep in the tutorial (tho' amply explained there). Finally, the ONLY way to create a new map is to click on the icon, trying to do so via the drop-downs won't work. I don't think there is a warning about this.

It's all very well, Lav, telling us in your trademark laconic manner to read the whole tutorial, but if people cannot get EW32 started at all, then what incentive have they got to read through pages of stuff they feel they might not get to use? I'm not sure if you can adapt the opening section of your tutorial (which obviously required a lot of dedicated work in the first place - plus all the extra explanatory stuff you've added) to highlight at least these three issues. If need be, I will update the wiki page (if someone will give me an link to it).
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

you said it most eloquently. well thing is when i was doing all the different pages - converting what i found to the format i was using (frontpage) i may not have written a lot of the different tutorials - but i have given credit to those that did ( if i knew who it was that did the original.) the whole documents project was done on the off chance that the source code wasnt going to be released and was a way to keep all the stuff that was known about in one place. that alone took 6 years and many iterations of the project as i found bits and pieces i added em. so if your willing to go and add to the knowledge - by all means. just dont start it and then leave it hanging. thank you. xD
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

lav_coyote25 wrote: so if your willing to go and add to the knowledge - by all means. just dont start it and then leave it hanging. thank you. xD
If there is a wiki tutorial page - other than the one introducing EW32 (which is not an appropriate place for detailed info on setting up EW32) - then where is it? From the rest of your reply I assume that the tut for EW32 exists only in the chm form that you have created. I don't have the means to edit that; tbh I wouldn't want to take responsibility for doing that anyway.

What I have in mind is this: I have always used a print-out of the EditWorldDoc.rtf that comes with the original EW16, which I have emended and added to over the years. I assume any serious user of either EWs would do the same. So, what I propose is this: that the existing EditWorldDoc is expanded to include material about EW32 (such as I outline in my last post) and then made available in conjunction with the EW32 installation download.

As this is more a manual than a tutorial, it should stay within the parameters set by the original EWDoc, tho' perhs adding pointers both to the existing tut and to the docs website.

Comments and cautions please...
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

where do you think i got the tutorial from in the first place? yep! exactly. and not having grat amounts of money to pay for adobe software i went with the next best thing. i believe if your wanting to do this - then access the wiki and just make a new page / pages if you cant locate one already started...( not sure if anyone started a page on the editworld stuff as i believe that someone is working on a new cross platform software??? dunno. )

xD
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Gah! Neither of you have even linked to this mythical wiki page! Someone do that!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

i believe if your wanting to do this - then access the wiki and just make a new page / pages if you cant locate one already started...( not sure if anyone started a page on the editworld stuff
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Zarel wrote:Gah! Neither of you have even linked to this mythical wiki page! Someone do that!
Where is the bloody thing, if it's not the intro page?

Lav, I'll do the doc first, then if that's OK it can be added as a new page to the wiki (once we're sure what the score is there).
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

yeah go ahead... what all is going into this tutorial?

:D
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/EditWorld32beta

ok here is what you emailed me... put it up - now we can adjust as needed... perhaps some pics to go along with the descriptors... :3

xD
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

lav_coyote25 wrote: ok here is what you emailed me... put it up - now we can adjust as needed... perhaps some pics to go along with the descriptors... :3

xD
Thanks for the quick response. Did some text formatting, just to get my hand in...

As for pics: I agree we can have more than a simple text manual on the wiki, so in effect it will probably become a version of your tutorial. What I suggest, though, is to make it a combined manual-tutorial. So, your pics from the chm can be used to illustrate the manual (can images be positioned in-line?), with a minimum of formatting - to keep file size down. Then a second part, which will include the actual tutorial elements from the chm, plus (if this is poss) the two essays appended to the tut and referenced in the manual.

In fact, this is an opportunity for you to compose a Treatise on Map Making, which could draw on your experience, esp in terms of strategic layout, bases and the like. (Actually, this could be an ongoing project, which could be added to over time.)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

hate to say this ... i havent used the chm style for a long time now.... if you want i can send you the whole thing if need be.... not in chm form. and all the pics - except for the visual tutorial at the end of the latest docs project have already been thumbnailed - and it is the tn's that i used. also please note that zarel has already started a new updated version of the tech tree... not sure what all else he has done...
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

lav_coyote25 wrote:hate to say this ... i havent used the chm style for a long time now.... if you want i can send you the whole thing if need be.... not in chm form. and all the pics - except for the visual tutorial at the end of the latest docs project have already been thumbnailed - and it is the tn's that i used. also please note that zarel has already started a new updated version of the tech tree... not sure what all else he has done...
'sOK... already have the chm de-compiled; and have your viztut somewhere here, which I can ransack. Thanks for the line on Z's work - just what I need re inline pics...

adios