2.1 beta5 Won't open on Mac

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

2.1 beta5 Won't open on Mac

Post by WarriorAnt »

I just DL'd Version 2.1_beta5 and it will not open on my Mac. PowerPC G4, 1GHz, 1GB SDRAM. Mac OS X 10.4.11 iMac.

Any one else having this problem?
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Re: 2.1 beta5 Won't open on Mac

Post by WarriorAnt »

Anyone? Am I the only Mac guy here?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

WarriorAnt wrote:Anyone? Am I the only Mac guy here?
Well, it was only ~2 hours or so in-between your posts. For mac issues, usually, you have to give it a day or more, for people to notice.

As for your specific issue. No idea.
About the best you can do is post in the big mac thread (MAC users, where are you guys? - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1747 ), and ask there.

If you can get Apple to send the devs some macs, it would be easier to build/debug these issues. :3
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Post by WarriorAnt »

OK thanks! I'll post over at the Mac where are you guys and see what happens.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

WarriorAnt wrote:I just DL'd Version 2.1_beta5 and it will not open on my Mac. PowerPC G4, 1GHz, 1GB SDRAM. Mac OS X 10.4.11 iMac.

Any one else having this problem?
What graphics card. It is possible yours is not up to the job (so it quits).

Also might want to try deleting the settings folder. It can be found in: ~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100 2.1

Edit: Can you also check that you have X11.app installed. It can be found on the Tiger install DVD.

Regards, Freddie.
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Post by WarriorAnt »

Freddie,

Thanks for the reply.

I have x11 installed. I had also deleted the settings folder from 2.0.1.0 before I tried to start 2.1.beta 5.

But then I went back to 2.0.1.0 to see if it would still play and it did. So I deleted 2.0.1.0 but not the settings folder. I left that to see if 2.1 beta 5 could use it. I DL'd 2.1 beta 5 again and tried to open it. Nothing happened BUT THEN 10 minutes later it suddenly started! There was no indication it was starting. No Icon or anything. OK, so I quit 2.1 beta 5 and deleted the settings folder from 2.0.1.0 and tried to restart 2.1 beta 5. It started and allowed play. I saved a few minutes of the game and then quit it. I restarted it again to see if it would load my saved game and it did!

So I guess things are ok for now!

By the way my graphic card is as follows:

ATI Radeon 7500:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV200
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5157
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-116
Displays:
eMac:
Display Type: CRT
Resolution: 1280 x 960 @ 72 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Does it still take several minutes to start-up?

If it was just the first time I suspect it was due to a process known as pre-binding. This is done to increase the speed at which an application subsequently opens. If, when installing an application on OS X you have seen "Optimising system performance" this is pre-binding.

Regards, Freddie.
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Post by WarriorAnt »

Well it starts up right away now but I have not been able to load a saved game and play it since that first game I saved and loaded again.

Every time I save a game and try to load it again the game quits on me.

For instance I'll play the first level and then when the stat window appears I'll save the game and then quit. Later when I start the game again and use the load game function the saved game loads. Then when I go to click on a vehicle or move the mouse the game quits.

I have tried to save the game while playing past the stat screen to see if it will load again later and it will load but then it quits when I move the mouse or click on something.

I have tried selecting a new campaign and then once that loads try to load a saved game. It loads the saved game but then it quits when I move the mouse or click on something.

There seems to be no combination that allows me to load a saved game and play onward.

Hope this helps. Don't know what else to do.
bearda
New user

Post by bearda »

WarriorAnt wrote:Well it starts up right away now but I have not been able to load a saved game and play it since that first game I saved and loaded again.

Every time I save a game and try to load it again the game quits on me.

For instance I'll play the first level and then when the stat window appears I'll save the game and then quit. Later when I start the game again and use the load game function the saved game loads. Then when I go to click on a vehicle or move the mouse the game quits.

I have tried to save the game while playing past the stat screen to see if it will load again later and it will load but then it quits when I move the mouse or click on something.

I have tried selecting a new campaign and then once that loads try to load a saved game. It loads the saved game but then it quits when I move the mouse or click on something.

There seems to be no combination that allows me to load a saved game and play onward.

Hope this helps. Don't know what else to do.

Exact same experience here on a G4 mini w/ 1G of ram and a Radeon 9200. I've tried the beta, the stable build, and the r6097 build someone posted here, all with various degrees of disappointment.