MAC user, saved games keep crashing

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

MAC user, saved games keep crashing

Post by WarriorAnt »

Hello All,

I am a Mac user. PowerPC G4, 1GHz, 1GB SDRAM. Mac OS X 10.4.11 iMac.

Is there any version of Warzone that doesn't crash after trying to load a saved game? If I save a game just after winning a campaign level then I'm good to go when I return and load that saved game to move on to the next level. If I save a game in the middle of a campaign then loading that saved game crashes. I have tried 2.1 beta 1 which I believe is the latest version for the Mac and it crashes. I have tried version 2.0.10 and it also crashes.

Is there a working Mac version? Or a fix?

Thanks very much in advance.

WarriorAnt
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: MAC user, saved games keep crashing

Post by Buginator »

All I can say is try 2.1 beta 5, or trunk.

2.0.x is known to have issues on the mac, and shouldn't be considered 'stable' at all.

For builds, unless you do it yourself, we don't really have a maintainer that isn't busy at the moment, so...
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Post by WarriorAnt »

Well I tried 2.1 beta 5 and it just sits on the dock and won't open. By "trunk" do you mean give it up? I love this game and it will be hard to give it up but I guess I have no choice since its seems to have little Mac support. It's pretty much the only computer game I will play. Reminds me of the old C&C by Westwood which was the only other computer game I would play. I'll keep on hoping and checking back.
shishkebab
Trained
Trained

Post by shishkebab »

WarriorAnt wrote: By "trunk" do you mean give it up?
No, what he means is the trunk (stable) version instead of the development version. You can get the stable version off the downloads page.

shishkebab
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

shishkebab wrote:
WarriorAnt wrote: By "trunk" do you mean give it up?
No, what he means is the trunk (stable) version instead of the development version. You can get the stable version off the downloads page.

shishkebab
Slight correction, trunk = development version (2.2 aka unstable), and branch is 2.1 (aka testing).

At Berlios, it was the other way around, and trunk was stable.

So, if one fails, then try the other.

It would also help if you give us the crash log when it crashes, but since 2.0.x is known to be a problem for macs, we don't want that crash log from that version. Only 2.1 or 2.2.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Although trunk is supposedly unstable, it's mostly more stable than non-trunk builds.

I'll get a trunk version up soon.

Edit: Here:

Release version: warzone-trunk-r6097.dmg

Debug version: warzone-trunk-r6097-debug.dmg
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Post by WarriorAnt »

Zarel,
what version is that Warzone-trunk-r6097-debug?

I'll try it out tomorrow! I just spent all night trying to load saved games into 2.1 beta5 with no luck at all and now my carpal tunnel is inflamed!

I posted my efforts over in the "Mac Users where are you guys" section.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Don't! It crashes on save.

Regards, Freddie.
bearda
New user

Post by bearda »

I've had half-decent luck with the latest "stable" build loading save games from between levels on the stats screen (saved after completing a level), but failing miserable on saves done in the middle of a level. I loaded the 2.1 beta5 build to see if it did better, but generally any time I try to load a save that was done in the middle of a level it locks up for a few seconds then the application dies within a minute or so of loading. To add insult to injury after completing the first 2 hour long mission and saving at the stats screen that save game now causes me to lock up within 2 or 3 minutes of loading the game.

I really do like the game, but on my G4 mini there just doesn't seem to be a build stable enough to keep playing past a single sitting.
bearda
New user

Post by bearda »

I don't know if this will help or not. I ran the game via console and after it crashed I got the following message:

Code: Select all

error   : [dirDiff] dirDiff: result out of range
error   : [dirDiff] Assert in Warzone: /Users/freddie/Documents/Programming/Warzone2.1/macosx/../src/move.c:252 (retval >=0 && retval <=180), last script event: 'N/A'
Assertion failed: (retval >=0 && retval <=180), function dirDiff, file /Users/freddie/Documents/Programming/Warzone2.1/macosx/../src/move.c, line 252.
Abort trap
bearda
New user

Post by bearda »

I got the trunk to build and started looking into my crashing problem. It seems like the bumpDir element of some of a lot of my droids is corrupt (not reading between 0 and 360) in some of my saves. From what I can tell this has something to do with droid motion, so it makes sense that it happens more often when I save in the middle of a level (and things are moving) then between levels (when everything is stationary). The level after the first 2 hour level was a fluke, because they drop you into the next level immediately and my units are still moving.

I tried reading the value out of the saves and resetting it to 0 if it isn't between 0 and 360 and my crashing problem went away. If anyone is interested I can try to make the build available after I give it some more testing. I'd really like to get to the bottom of why the values are corrupt in the first place, however.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

G4 = ppc right?

Perhaps a endian issue?
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Post by WarriorAnt »

Has the game save problem been solved yet?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

WarriorAnt wrote:Has the game save problem been solved yet?
Seeing as we don't really have a active mac developer that has the same machine as you, I would say no.
We don't really have any mac developers that work on the codebase either, the guy who found these issues in the past is busy.

So, we have no way to know what the exact issue is (though, I think it is a endian issue).

Maybe you know a site/forum with a active mac developer community that can help us out?
and it ends here.
WarriorAnt
Greenhorn

Post by WarriorAnt »

Sorry I don't know of any mac developers but I will keep my eye out now! Because I love this game and I can't wait to really play it one day.