WZ crashes on multiple devices

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
nooneisback
Greenhorn

WZ crashes on multiple devices

Post by nooneisback »

Currently I'm on a Cube i7 Windows 10 tablet and Warzone crashes whenever I start a game. Here are the specs: Core M 5y10 with HD 5300. Some of you will scream at me saying that I am trying to run WZ on a tablet, but this is just simply a notebook without a keyboard running on a processor comparable with a mobile Haswell i5. same happens on a Win10 desktop and on my Win7 laptop. Here is the log:

--- Starting log [C:\Users\cube\Documents\Warzone 2100 3.2\logs\WZlog-0728_164059.txt]---
info |04:40:59: [realmain:1140] Using C:\Users\cube\Documents\Warzone 2100 3.2\logs\WZlog-0728_164059.txt debug file
error |04:41:02: [sound_InitLibrary:157] Couldn't open audio device.
error |04:41:02: [sound_Init:54] Cannot init sound library
error |04:41:02: [cdAudio_OpenTrack:96] Failed creating audio stream for music/menu.ogg
error |04:41:46: [khr_callback:140] GL::API(Performance:Medium) : API_ID_RECOMPILE_FRAGMENT_SHADER performance warning has been generated. Fragment shader recompiled due to state change.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: WZ crashes on multiple devices

Post by Per »

Wild guess: These devices are all running Intel integrated graphics on Windows, right?
nooneisback
Greenhorn

Post by nooneisback »

Only the tablet is. The laptop is a sandy bridge dual core i5 with ATI mobility HD5000 series and the desktop has an i7 4790K with 2 R9 280Xs in crossfire.
nooneisback
Greenhorn

Post by nooneisback »

Nope, the tablet is the only one. The laptop has a SB dual core i5 with ATI mobility HD 5000 series and the desktop is an i7 4790K with 2 R9 280Xs in crossfire.
nooneisback
Greenhorn

Post by nooneisback »

Anyone? I don't even want to consider buying a different tablet to run this game, especially considering how all the old versions run smooth like butter.
Mastertad94
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mastertad94 »

one of my friends managed to disable shaders under the properties tag for the .exe and this worked for him. see if you can get it to work this way. this is my only guess.
nooneisback
Greenhorn

Post by nooneisback »

If only I knew what that flag was.
Mastertad94
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mastertad94 »

I was awnsering the PC version of this.. i didnt even know warzone2100 supported tablet/windows tablet let alone touchscreen IOS
nooneisback
Greenhorn

Post by nooneisback »

Windows 10 on tablets is the same as windows 10 on desktops. Mostly lenovo used the Core M processor in its business laptops because of the low consumption, but it still is powerful enough to run almost any game that doesn't have an i5 in its minimal specs. As I mentioned already, it's a laptop without a keyboard. However it has pins for one and it also has a USB 3.0 port. But I don't think that touch screen iOS is supported.
Vincent
Trained
Trained

Post by Vincent »

Can confirm it crashes on Intel igpu. Unfortunatly Intel OpenGL drivers doesn't support fixed functions very well (and mixing fixed function and shaders is even worse) ; however they correctly support core context, they're even able to run the latest Doom game which relies on GL 4.3.
nooneisback
Greenhorn

Post by nooneisback »

Gonna check the crash log on my laptop and desktop, but not anytime soon since I'm on a trip.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Vincent wrote:Can confirm it crashes on Intel igpu. Unfortunatly Intel OpenGL drivers doesn't support fixed functions very well (and mixing fixed function and shaders is even worse) ; however they correctly support core context, they're even able to run the latest Doom game which relies on GL 4.3.
Lots of people can confirm it crashes, just not people who can fix/debug it.

Would removing all fixed-pipeline function calls fix it? Is there a list of them?
Vincent
Trained
Trained

Post by Vincent »

In my experience sticking to function not deprecated in core context with GL 3.1 is a good way to avoid issue with Intel drivers on Windows.
Not necessarily using 3.0 or 3.1 features, rather using #version 130 in glsl shaders without built in vertex attrib (like glNormalPointer) or uniforms (gl_ModelViewMatrix) and removing fixed functions.

As far as I can see most gl calls are gathered in ivis_opengl. There are some calls in bridge.cpp too but I think it's never called.
Fixed function I found are glFog* (in shader mixing fragColor with fogcolor and factor exp(-gl_FragDepth) should work) , glHint, glEnableClientState, glColor*, glDisable(GL_ALPHA_TEST) (discard in shader), GL_QUADS* (use 2 GL_TRIANGLES or GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP), glGetLight*, glPushMatrix, glPopMatrix, glEnable(GL_LIGHT0), glPushAttrib, and the glVertex3f glTexCoord2f glBegin glEnd.
There also quesoglc which use a lot of fixed functions too.

Normally compat with GL 2.1 is kept while enabling support for core context. The added benefits of core context is that it works with every OpenGL debugger (RenderDoc, nvidia nsight, AMD GPU Perf Studio 2, Intel GPA...)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Unfortunately, Intel GPA, which would have been the go to tool to debug such issues on Intel drivers, does not support OpenGL on Windows, at all.
nooneisback
Greenhorn

Post by nooneisback »

Well, I found a temporary half solution, now I'm using WZ 2.3.9. It's old, unsupported, glitchy, kinda ugly, but it works.