Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

XP sp3 get removed ?

Post by Bethrezen »

hi all

did support for XP sp3 get removed ? the reason I ask is because I just download and installed the latest version of Warzone v3.1.3 and I get the following error upon trying to start game.

http://s30.postimg.org/oqwmap1ap/error.png

I've already make a ticket for it http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4351
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Re: XP sp3 get removed ?

Post by Tzeentch »

far as I know it is no longer supported, and Microsoft also are no longer patching that old OS. Looks like a library required for the game to run is not present

Perhaps you can change the OS.

Has anyone made a post on this OS no longer supported?
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

disclaimer: I'm not involved with the Windows builds.

Microsoft stopped supporting XP 2 years ago. Our Windows builds are cross-compiled in a Linux environment.

Has anyone tried to compile Warzone in an actual XP environment? Likely a bit of work building all the necessary libraries, but I suspect it might be possible.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

the reason I ask is because 3.1.2 works, and all previous versions work as well so I just found it a bit odd that suddenly im getting that error and just wondered if its just that someone did something wrong when making 3.1.3 or its it was a deliberate change and it no longer works on xp

I'd update but don't have a £200 for a new os.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Bethrezen wrote:the reason I ask is because 3.1.2 works, and all previous versions work as well so I just found it a bit odd that suddenly im getting that error and just wondered if its just that someone did something wrong when making 3.1.3 or its it was a deliberate change and it no longer works on xp

I'd update but don't have a £200 for a new os.
Well, technically, XP hasn't been supported for a very long time (Vista is the minimum supported platform we currently support), but, you wouldn't notice this until specific stuff caused WZ to crash, and well, that was it.
The current build just happens to expose this more openly, since XP lacks the correct functions to work, and MS will not fix it, unless you update to Vista or higher.
There is no way to code around this, except for making separate builds specifically for XP, and, that is just too much work for our small team.
Sorry about that.

You don't really need to pay that much for a new OS to run WZ, you can use linux, which is free in most locations, and that will be much more secure than XP ever was, so you get a double win. :)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

"I'd update but don't have a £200 for a new os." - sounds like you've been getting ripped off lol, maybe I shouldn't be laughing at that point....

"much more secure than XP ever was, so you get a double win." - therefore XP is the double whammy of OSes. :D
could give a BSD a go for a play.

I'd much rather use the dosh for this, so very fast - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/512gb-s ... e-1500mb-s
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

sounds like you've been getting ripped off lol, maybe I shouldn't be laughing at that point...
not really.
The standard retail pricing for Windows 7 will be £149.99 for Home Premium, £219.99 for Professional and £229.99 for Ultimate.
source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... windows-7/#!

The prices for windows 10 are much the same, so as a student that a little out of my reach for the time being the only reason I'm not still using win 98se is because when I got given this computer it came with a XP disk
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Linux is free only cost is to write it to a disk ...this thread is like leading a horse to water ...you can't make it drink.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Bethrezen wrote: The prices for windows 10 are much the same, so as a student that a little out of my reach for the time being the only reason I'm not still using win 98se is because when I got given this computer it came with a XP disk
On this side of the pond, MS gives huge discounts to students, maybe you should look into that as well, if you stay with Windows.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
WZ2100User
New user

Post by WZ2100User »

Please, put on the website the latest version of Warzone 2100 which goes on WinXP. I think it should be a version of Warzone 2100 v.3.1.2.
KlassKill
Trained
Trained

Post by KlassKill »

Berg wrote:Linux is free only cost is to write it to a disk ...this thread is like leading a horse to water ...you can't make it drink.
:lol2:
what is wrong with installing linux?
WZ2100User
New user

Post by WZ2100User »

Strange, but I can not run version of Warzone 2100-3.1.3. An error WS2_32.dll. Integrated graphics card Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller. Which version is guaranteed to start?
___

Install Warzone 2100 3.1.2. Work.