Large filesize maps mac crashes

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Large filesize maps mac crashes

Post by Rommel »

2nd time it's happened now - go into multiplay join a game and there is a huge map downloading - last 1 was 100mb - got sick of waiting for it to load and quit out. What happens is that after I quit the game it's self and then open again wz won't open, it just freezes on a black screen of death.

Using a mac on full screen means that it is not so easy to quit out, you can't reduce wz with mac - full screen means locked in full screen (this is something that I have always found very irritating as I like to play in full screen... anyway I digress...

When I try to open wz again it freezes again - somehow it is trying to load that map (or something concerned iwth that map) because when I deleted that map (was 5mb) all the issues disappear. I don't know why a map would be 100mb when all the others are like under 1mb.

So is it possible that wz can choke on a very large map size for some reason? Also it is not evident that the map caused this issue, when it first happened I thought the game it's self had become corrupted and almost reinstalled before deleting the map in desperation...

Like I said, it's the second time it's happened to me... so I hope it is not someone being tricksy and doing it to mess with people.

map was this: 6c-ARmod-DA-julia
Last edited by Rommel on 17 Feb 2016, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Large filesize maps mac crashes

Post by vexed »

Ack, 100MB?
The game was never meant to transfer that much data!

I am guessing the issue was a corrupted archive, and I am guessing your logs got spammed with errors about this.

Needless to say, people should do that! Guess we are going to have to put in safeguards to prevent that on next version. :annoyed:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

vexed wrote:Ack, 100MB?
I am guessing the issue was a corrupted archive, and I am guessing your logs got spammed with errors about this.
It was definitely intentional because the title of the game had 100mb in it.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

why is it so big? Like those 20ft tall chickens...

Others should test 6c-ARmod-DA-julia both online and offline to find out what happens too
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Rommel wrote:
map was this: 6c-ARmod-DA-julia
The map is 6c-DA-Julia
The problem seems to be the ArtRevolution mod.
My OS is windows not Mac. High-end gamer-desk.i7 + NVidia 780. The system needs 16 seconds to load 6c DA Julia, with full bases and scavengers, highest settings and the ARmod. Very long. :?

Black screen.problem: Happend to me last year. Wanted to made a screenshot of my 9 player map with the ArtRevmod. Shaders on, what else. It was a weaker system and the game crashed. When i start again.....black screen. My fault was, that i placed the Artmod in 2 different folders.

I dont know, how the path looks like in Mac,,,but maybe you put the ArtRevmod in 2 different folders?
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Oh I've noticed this problem big time. I've been complaining to myself about it for almost a year and keep meaning to take action but have been bogged down by other projects. Since you're bringing it up, I'll post about it here I guess.

More specifically, I've consistently observed the following behavior/symptoms:

When I host maps that I made using custom tile sets, they are in the 2 - 3 MB range and it usually takes 10 - 20 seconds to download. The problem only occurs during simultaneous downloads, that is when 2 people attempt to download the map at the same time. This problem becomes very noticeable on larger maps because the likelihood of simultaneous downloads drastically increases. Smaller maps <500 KB download almost instantaneously so it's not noticeable.

When a map download is underway and another player joins that initiates a new download for themselves, the player who joined first and already has their download underway almost always crashes. In most (but not all) cases, the download progress for the first player resets back to the beginning when someone else initiates a download and when the first player's download reaches 100% they crash.

I did review the logs and it seems that the function call to download a map is sent to all players who do not have the map, even if their download is already underway. However, this doesn't always happen so the behavior is not consistent but I can reproduce this problem easily. The last time I tried pinpointing the root cause a few months ago, I was thinking the problem might be when players join a slot that was previously occupied and WZ retains some sort of information regarding that slot. Then when a download map call is made, it references information from the player who previously had that slot and causes a problem when 2 players try to download at the same time. I'll recreate this issue and post the logs here when I have time but it's very easy to reproduce.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Even in the Mac's fullscreen mode you can force quit the game by pressing CMD+ALT+ESC. :)