Versions 3.1.1/3.1.2 not working on Windows 8.1!!!

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Behind_enemy_turrets
Greenhorn

Versions 3.1.1/3.1.2 not working on Windows 8.1!!!

Post by Behind_enemy_turrets »

Upgraded to a new computer (games were getting too laggy on my old 2003 laptop) and figured WZ would run about 5 times as well as normal. Big surprise-WZ doesn't work on Windows 8.1! I've tried both 3.1.1 and 3.1.2, uninstalled and reinstalled both when they didn't work the first time, with no success. I can't find any software specs that my PC may be missing so I can't check for that.

Is this localised to just my system or is everyone on Windows 8/8.1 having the same issue?

Really need some help guys... missing out on all the Warzone goodness :(
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Re: Versions 3.1.1/3.1.2 not working on Windows 8.1!!!

Post by Cyp »

Try upgrading to Linux, it should work fine there. (Or maybe someone else can come up with an inferior solution which doesn't involve getting rid of Windowsโ€ฆ)
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

Though I'm not on Windows anymore...

Did you try to change the compatibility mode to Windows XP/7?

That fixed a lot for me, when I was on 7... ;)
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Behind_enemy_turrets wrote:Upgraded to a new computer (games were getting too laggy on my old 2003 laptop) and figured WZ would run about 5 times as well as normal. Big surprise-WZ doesn't work on Windows 8.1! I've tried both 3.1.1 and 3.1.2, uninstalled and reinstalled both when they didn't work the first time, with no success. I can't find any software specs that my PC may be missing so I can't check for that.

Is this localised to just my system or is everyone on Windows 8/8.1 having the same issue?

It works just fine on windows 8.x (and 10), both 32bit & 64bit versions.
Don't run the game in compatibility mode, that won't do anything.

The problem is most likely video drivers.

You don't tell us what the error is exactly, and what do your logs show, or what kind of new computer you got.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Behind_enemy_turrets
Greenhorn

vexed wrote:
Behind_enemy_turrets wrote:Upgraded to a new computer (games were getting too laggy on my old 2003 laptop) and figured WZ would run about 5 times as well as normal. Big surprise-WZ doesn't work on Windows 8.1! I've tried both 3.1.1 and 3.1.2, uninstalled and reinstalled both when they didn't work the first time, with no success. I can't find any software specs that my PC may be missing so I can't check for that.

It works just fine on windows 8.x (and 10), both 32bit & 64bit versions.
Don't run the game in compatibility mode, that won't do anything.

The problem is most likely video drivers.

You don't tell us what the error is exactly, and what do your logs show, or what kind of new computer you got.
I upgraded from a Dell Latitude D6220 with 2GB RAM @ 1.8GHz Dual core and 248MB GPU (yes, that's megabytes) running Windows XP to an Asus F550D with 8GB RAM and 2GB GPU, AMD build. 2.9GHz Dual core processor. No hardware issues.

The game simply won't start, no error logs or anything. I have checked in Task Manager and it does initiate, but does nothing beyond that point. I haven't switched on Compatibility Mode seeing as others are playing fine on Windows 7, which runs on the same base protocols (apart from that, idk where compatibility mode is on this weird tablet-ish UI). Always played fine on XP and 7 whenever I used a different computer.

This is pretty much a brand new model of PC and my system itself is only 2 months old. If you need any other details feel free to ask, I need the help :hmm:
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Create a shortcut to the exe and add --debug=all to the very end of the target box, after the quote, if you have quotes. For example, if it shows "D:\Warzone2100 3.1.2\warzone2100.exe" then change it to "D:\Warzone2100 3.1.2\warzone2100.exe" --debug=all

Then, go to your config directory, and upload the log file here.

And also, make sure you have the latest video drivers: http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/so ... g/catalyst
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Behind_enemy_turrets
Greenhorn

No debug/error log was created with the --debug=all extension on the shortcut targeting protocol and updating the vid drivers seems to have had no effect whatsoever :hmm: the only possible explanation I can think of is that something within my software is causing the application to fail at startup. Windows 8.1 seems to think that my system is a tablet and hence tries to use the same commands on occasion (an issue I promptly attended to)-is it possible that WZ is regarding my system as a tablet, preventing it from running overall? Judging by vexed's earlier post, it shouldn't function incorrectly like this, but perhaps it is causing the issue?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Where are you looking for the log / crash file ?
It is in the config directory, as specified in the FAQ.

I assume you don't have a anti-virus program running, I suppose that could stop Warzone from running.
Behind_enemy_turrets
Greenhorn

Found the logs vexed, although updating to 3.1.2 hasn't created any since the program won't initiate. From 3.1.1 logs, I found the error:

"error |09:30:20: [wzMain2:1141] Video mode 1280x800@32bpp is not supported!"

I get the feeling that a simple fix-like changing the video resolution-will rectify this. Looking at the FAQ actually shows this issue and how to fix it, which is handy now that I know what is wrong with the program :)

EDIT: Config file fix to 1366x768 worked for 3.1.1! 3.1.2 still unable to run, seeing as command line alterations don't work and the game won't reach the point where the config file is created, but still I can play again! Thanks for the help vexed and the extra input Cyp and Powzone!

P.S. This thread can be locked now-and can someone open up PM and Bug Reporting permissions for me please? Much appreciated :)
Being behind enemy lines has never been easier-Oh wait, TURRET!!!
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Both 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 use the same config directory, and you can edit the "config" file itself to change resolution.

If 3.1.1 works, then 3.1.2 should work as well. What version did you download, and where from ?

For PMs, you just need to post a few more times, then it will allow it. That is to fight spam PMs.
For bug reporting, you should be able to use your forum credentials right now.
Behind_enemy_turrets
Greenhorn

I downloaded 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 from here, but it must still default to 1280x800 for some reason (even though my system's native resolution is 1366x768, which it has no problem handling) which is causing it to fail at startup. I don't feel like it's a massive issue right now, when I start missing out on massive updates (e.g. when version 4.X.X comes out) then I will take action.

As for my permissions status, it started working as soon as I posted that last reply, so I must've hit the threshold :)
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Behind_enemy_turrets wrote:I downloaded 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 from here, but it must still default to 1280x800 for some reason (even though my system's native resolution is 1366x768, which it has no problem handling) which is causing it to fail at startup.
You can delete the config file, and try again, but the reason 3.1.2 was trying 1280x800 is, because, as I said, all 3.x releases use the same config directory.
If you delete the config file, then our defaults should work, they are 640x480, window mode.
Behind_enemy_turrets
Greenhorn

Perfect solution vexed! All versions should work from now on :) Thanks for your help!
//Thread can be locked now :)
raj4u146
New user

Post by raj4u146 »

Upgraded to a new computer (games were getting too laggy on my old 2003 laptop) and figured WZ would run about 5 times as well as normal. Big surprise-WZ doesn't work on Windows 8.1! I've tried both 3.1.1 and 3.1.2, uninstalled and reinstalled both when they didn't work the first time, with no success. I can't find any software specs that my PC may be missing so I can't check for that.

Really need some help guys... missing out on all the Warzone goodness :([/quote]
pop up shows error
Error Log
"
--- Starting log [C:\Users\Sanskriti\Documents\Warzone 2100 3.1\logs\WZlog-0419_145100.txt]---
info |02:51:00: [realmain:1133] Using C:\Users\Sanskriti\Documents\Warzone 2100 3.1\logs\WZlog-0419_145100.txt debug file
fatal |02:51:00: [screenInitialise:193] OpenGL 1.2 + TEC is not supported by your system. The game requires this. Please upgrade your graphics drivers/hardware, if possible.
"
but as I am using Windows 8 the graphics drivers are up to date.
I tried rolling back to my old graphic driver but I can't roll back to old version.
What am I supposed to do.
Missing a lot I even tried rolling back to my old Windows XP SP3 but I cant install from a bootable disc.
Windows 8 sucks.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

What computer did you get, and what GPU is in it?
OpenGL 1.2 + TEC is not supported by your system. The game requires this. Please upgrade your graphics drivers/hardware
It is saying install/update your video drivers.

Yes, I saw you said you have up to date drivers, but, that isn't the case. You basically have NO openGL drivers installed, only the MS 1.1, which won't work.
So, go to the maker of the GPU (or if this is a intel CPU/GPU) site, and download the video drivers. Don't use windows update.