Very low fps

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Very low fps

Post by vexed »

What is the exact model of the new laptop ?

Usually, you get what you pay for, in terms of performance for laptops.
I did a quick search, and it is pretty low end to use that CPU + GPU. (but, it STILL should be able to play WZ reasonably well, assuming there aren't that many units). I mean, you should be able to play campaign & 4 player games with pretty much no issues.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

vexed wrote:What is the exact model of the new laptop ?

Usually, you get what you pay for, in terms of performance for laptops.
I did a quick search, and it is pretty low end to use that CPU + GPU. (but, it STILL should be able to play WZ reasonably well, assuming there aren't that many units). I mean, you should be able to play campaign & 4 player games with pretty much no issues.
It's an HP 2000. Yes, it's CPU is very low, but the GPU is good(I can play games with low/medium graphics).
baobab
Rookie
Rookie

Post by baobab »

OK i have got apitrace warzone2100HD.trace ~350MB and warzone2100LOW.trace ~350MB.
Trace form begin to 12min is heavy 12GB.
Also i made printscreen with procesor use (linux)
I start skrimish map for 10 players, FPS drop to 10 around 5min. When 10 min pass FPS go to 4-5 FPS and then i make save.
Later i reload map with HD video settings , and with low VGA settings. On linux i can not show whot is GPU load, but i will load the same save on windows and i will shortly do print from amd system monitor
baobab
Rookie
Rookie

Post by baobab »

laptop is asus n76v
i7 3630QM
geforce 740M
bulrush
Trained
Trained

Post by bulrush »

Some of the AIs make 50+ vehicles at one time. I've seen all the AI vehicles get stuck in maps in one places. Now add 8-9 AIs, and you have 450 vehicles for the AIs plus yours. That's a lot of objects to slow down the PC.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Laptops, in general, have low-end graphics. "But I can play other games!", you exclaim. Likely DirectX games, and not OpenGL games like Warzone.

The graphics subsystem consists of a video card or chipset AND a video driver. On a laptop, you cannot do much about the graphics hardware, but you can make sure you have an updated video driver. It often helps to install the manufacturer's driver from their website. The video driver many operating systems install does not do OpenGL well.
baobab
Rookie
Rookie

Post by baobab »

I found problem and i have created solution. I will explain it in couple hours.
baobab
Rookie
Rookie

Post by baobab »

First, the shortened story.
I had an Athlon 64 X2, and played "worzone2100" from version 2.0 to 3.1.
With each version, I felt that my computer is slower.
Whilst taking advantage of "game check" from http://www.futuremark.com/hardware,
I determined that the FX 4100 and Radeon 7850 will satisfy a lot of games with high settings.
After installing ubuntu 13.10 and the compilation on a new computer, it appeared to me that the game is even slower than before.
  The second computer with core duo E6550 and Radeon HD 4800 and, with ubuntu 13.10 after compiling worzone 3.1 has the same problem even bigger.
A couple of times I installed windows. It turned out that the overall gameplay is at the same level.
  The differences, which did not allow to pull any conclusions. Even the running game on a laptop with I7 not helped to define the problem.
baobab
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Very low fps solved

Post by baobab »

But yesterday ... I started to wonder.
What improvements can I force during compilation. ?
Yes it's true - people with an IQ of 135 and more with a little knowledge of the subject, understand by the size of the problem. Surprised with so far no one noticed?
There are many models of processors, many architectures.
To make the program work quickly, it must be optimized for a specific processor model.
From the website warzone2100.net, you can download a single file executable (installer packages for Windows).
This installer is already in itself executable code warzone2100, perfectly matched to only one processor model. So they send out all over the web installer code matched the one processor, or unmatched to any...In my case, by running warzone2100 in windows , I never had optimally compiled code provided by the installer . Now I know that I have to use sources and GNU compiler , with some special settings , but more on that in a moment.
The ubuntu 13.10 , the problem occurs when running the script . / Configure.sh
If you have not set environment variables CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS then
The script DO NOT supplements them with staff like universal constants ( CFLAGS = " -march = native -O2 -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS = " -march = native -O2 -pipe" ) , it seems that it is good, but as it is very far from optimum.
I try "-march=native " is not selected properly extensions of my CPU
because the processor is too new .

I finally found the right configuration for my processor on the
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS

Before compiling , I have to type in the terminal
export CFLAGS = "- march = bdver1 - O3 -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS = "$ CFLAGS "
it is best to add to the file. bashrc
then run the script . / configure.sh and make

To compare these compilations , I made a map with 900 tanks ( 2x450 ) using Flame .
after the first minute of the build with no march=, I had 6-9 FPS
after the first minute of the build - march = bdver1 , I had 15-22 FPS
greater efficiency by 80 %

Compilation for the second computer ,
setting export CFLAGS = "- march = core2 - O3 -pipe"
after the first minute of the build with no -march , I had 5-10 FPS
after the first minute of the build - march = core2 , I had 13-19 FPS
baobab
Rookie
Rookie

Post by baobab »

Forgot to add in story , that the game had a similar amount of FPS, no matter what the resolution, HD or VGA

After optimization, playing feels that it is much better. The game is smoother, even when a lot going on.
Gentlemen, you have to compile worzone2100 for many processor for example:
warzone2100-3.1-buldozer
warzone2100-3.1-pilldriver
warzone2100-3.1-d8
warzone2100-3.1-core2
warzone2100-3.1-Corei7
We must also improve "configure.sh" to better detect processor model

Besides I still have 3 unused processor cores, and I have plans to buy the processor with eight cores. Such a digression about improving the performance.

Solved.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Well, of course you can do CPU specific optimizations, that may improve things, but, for the most part, except for some rare situations, the 'defaults' that we use work well for most people.

AMD's latest CPUs are slower than their older STARS based CPUs, unless you parallelize heavily. Their single threaded performance is abysmal compare to what intel has, and the only way that can sorta stay in the game is to crank up the GHz.
WZ only uses 1 thread, and that will most likely be removed at some point because of issues with the code base.

You are also not getting 80% better performance, fps is non-linear, but that is for another topic.

Thanks for your input though, it might help out other people.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.