3.1.0 Multiple Crashes

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
53K5HUN-8
Greenhorn

3.1.0 Multiple Crashes

Post by 53K5HUN-8 »

i've been without the interweb service for about a year now, & so have been playing the older versions with no problems...just downloaded the newest this week, and have not been able to use it at all...every time i try to play (7 times yesterday/early am today) it ends up crashing anywhere between 8-13 minutes into playing...i thought at first it might be something to do with cheats/debug mode, so i tried a few games without enabling them, but it made no difference...i'm not reporting this as a bug right now, as looking at the log shows that each time the error occurs at a different "location"...it's irregular (i.e. happens at a different play time, in different game modes, & on different maps), & there is no indication that there is any specific action i'm doing to cause it...as far as i can tell, it's not caused by anything like a certain number or type of units, or a certain spot on a map (as i said, different maps)...just curious if i have a hardware incompatibility issue with the newest version...after reading some of the other posts, i manually downloaded & installed driver updates for my graphics & audio, which now caused an 8th crash just 2 minutes in, with an error at module C:\windows\system32\ig4icd32.dll, which from everything i've read, would indicate a graphics driver problem..any help here would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

system info:
Toshiba Satellite L755 Notebook
Windows 7 Home Professional SP1 64-Bit
Intel Pentium B940
4GB RAM
Last edited by 53K5HUN-8 on 04 Jun 2013, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
53K5HUN-8
Greenhorn

Re: 3.1.0 Multiple Crashes

Post by 53K5HUN-8 »

oh & here's the event logs for all of the crashes...
Attachments
Warzone2100.RPT
(27.61 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The forum is not meant for bug reports, that's why we have the bug tracker.

Seems like you have a problem with your graphics driver. Try updating it.
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10488#p116044

Dunno how you missed the red bold text.
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
53K5HUN-8
Greenhorn

Post by 53K5HUN-8 »

there's no need to be rude, people, as i didn't "miss the red bold text"...i've already turned shaders off, & as i already said in the post, i updated my graphics & audio drivers already & it still crashed again...also stated in the post was that i was specifically NOT reporting it as a bug because of the fact it is a random, irregular occurrence, the cause of which seems to have no pattern, which would seem to me to not be a bug...i was simply looking for some insight into the matter, & curious if anyone else had had a similar problem & knew how to fix it...
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Problem with the graphics driver- nothing else.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

assume you don't change processor, it should use 2nd gen i5 with HD-2000/3000. I have HD-3000 that comes with i7 but my driver version is 9.17.10.3062 while yours is 8.15.10.2353.
although i haven't check driver version that comes from game since my nvidia not switching to intel.
try to test it here auto or post your complete system since i only use google to check your spec (dxdiag would do)
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

53K5HUN-8 wrote:there's no need to be rude, people, as i didn't "miss the red bold text"...i've already turned shaders off, & as i already said in the post, i updated my graphics & audio drivers already & it still crashed again...also stated in the post was that i was specifically NOT reporting it as a bug because of the fact it is a random, irregular occurrence, the cause of which seems to have no pattern, which would seem to me to not be a bug...i was simply looking for some insight into the matter, & curious if anyone else had had a similar problem & knew how to fix it...
Sorry, what is rude about pointing to what the problem is ?

The problem is indeed video driver related, there is no question about it, and even if you did update the video drivers, the problem is stillthe video drivers.

We have seen this countless number of times, and the only fix is to keep bugging intel to make working drivers, and try newer or older video drivers.

Sorry we can't do more, since it is a intel issue, not ours... :(
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Another problem (besides the obvious crap video) is the amount of ram that onboard video has to use. Try lowering the resolution and changing the texture size to something really low.

Intel really sucks with its opengl support and may never fix that. Next time you get a laptop make sure it has an ATI or Nvidia board.

Also, if you saw the big shiny red letters and post something about a crash related to the intel drives... well it looks bad on your part especially when you make this kind of post then call other people rude.

As a developer it gets really annoying when people ignore a warning.

On the flipside... well, the devs around here could have handled it a bit better. I know its irritating but still.

Last point.. there is a wrapper dll on the net you can try out. TitaniumGL I think is the name.. just search for directx opengl wrapper and you should find it. No one that I know of uses it so you are on your own.
53K5HUN-8
Greenhorn

Post by 53K5HUN-8 »

i am obviously not a developer, so i respect the work that this team has done in revitalizing this game...that being said, i can't quite wrap my head around how hard is it to understand that i was at first not aware that it was a video card problem or an actual bug...as a developer or part of a support staff, you should be able to actually read & understand ALL of what someone has written before posting a snotty reply...that is what i found rude about the post...& by writing "dunno how you missed the red bold text," you were not simply "pointing out what the problem was"...but moving right along...

thank you for your input ezio...the processor is a stock Pentium B940 running the integrated HD-2000 & the driver version was 8.15.10.2353 but i have updated it to 8.15.10.2509...i suppose perhaps your driver version is different since you are on a 2nd gen core i5 and run the HD-3000...just guessing there, though...

Lord Apocalypse, i have taken your advice & dropped the resolution & texture size & this seems to have worked...not sure which the problem was, but either way it seems to have fixed the issue...& trust me, i would much rather be playing this game on my desktop, but my monitor was broken whilst moving to my new house, & i haven't had a chance to replace it as of yet...so i am reduced to using my wife's laptop until then... :(
when we bought the laptop, we weren't looking for a gaming machine at all, just something simple & cheap so she could do some schoolwork...simple & cheap seems to be where my problems lie...i know i'll probably be slammed for this, but i have no problem with intel processors, actually preferring them over an AMD...but i will admit that their integrated graphics suck some major ass...for example, my desktop was a stock hp work computer that i got for free & built up to be a decent machine...this included a new, upgraded processor & cooling system, a new hard drive, a new dvd burner, 4x the original amount of RAM, as well as a new ATI HDMI video card (very hard to find for an AGP port, btw)...the last piece being because i was not happy with the performance of the onboard video card...but really, who is, right?...

Thanks again to those who gave some useful input... :)
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

When it comes to cheap laptops you can still find a few with integrated ATI or nvidia boards for both intel and amd. Most of the issues I have found dealing with intel cards stems from my work on Vega Strike (Privateer/Elite style flight sim) and I can tell you the intel issues are far worse the higher you go in texture and shader department. Especially on a linux setup.

Now that you know what works you can keep changing one setting one level higher each time until you start running into issues again. You may be stuck at your current settings or you might be able to push it up a little higher than it is now. Never can tell with those pesky intel cards. The problem is only slightly better on a desktop...

As for agp cards... have you found any on amazon or ebay for a decent price? I've got a few older systems that are in need of a agp replacement though getting my various laptops up and running is a higher priority atm.
53K5HUN-8
Greenhorn

Post by 53K5HUN-8 »

yeah, that's exactly what i was doing yesterday, tweaking a little bit & trying it out...i think i'm getting about as much as i can out of it now...it seems to have been the texture size, as i raised the resolution back to 1366x768 to take advantage of the whole screen, & it's working fine...i had only dropped the texture size 1 spot so that must have been it...thanks again!...

as far as AGP video cards, i've never tried looking on ebay or amazon, but newegg has a few...that's where i've always gotten my electronics from, & never had a problem, even with a few returns (though what i was returning was generally cheap things i had skimped on since i was kinda broke at the time, so my own fault there)...my biggest problem in finding 1 was that my MoBo has a 4x slot only, rather than the 4x/8x that i would much prefer...& it's a low-pro desktop, so my choices were very limited, especially looking for 1 with HDMI output...