Challenge: No Place To Hide

For challenge discussions and reports
Mats
Trained
Trained

Re: Challenge: No Place To Hide

Post by Mats »

XHero_of_ChaosX wrote:i would say the best way to handle this challenge is to take all oil derricks in the center of the map and build walls at all bottlenecks as well as defenses. using turtle tactics is the way to go. going for VTOLs and cyborgs is the best choice: VTOLs for attacking and cyborgs for defense. i found this the best strategy, not to mention the choke i had on all of them with power. :twisted:
Did that actually work? Would have thought VTOLs are a bit of a waste of time... Best I've managed is to take all centre oil and then turtle. Just research lancer weapons + harder and harder hardcrete. Make sure you have a bit of artillary too. Didn't finish the level though! Just lasted a long time.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

Post by XHero_of_ChaosX »

no, i am mastering this strategy. its a whole lot better than cramping back into a corner.. not to mention, you will notice how much it slows all of them down dramatically. each one will only have about one or two more oil derricks added to their initial four.. its a lot of multitasking and takes mastery. i will return with results when i have mastered it. if someone should do it before me, congrats. :)
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

I really don't think the way to go is turtling when it is 1v7 you need to rush and take over bases as fast as possible.
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

If you turtle on low oil, you'll just be fighting a losing battle. You need to take out at least two enemies before their forces really start moving. Otherwise you're screwed.
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

you misunderstood me. you rush to get the oil, then build walls at bottle necks. then you turtle on all of the oil and conquer.
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

I know what you said but even if you turtle on the main oil you will still lose because they have 1v7 in research...anyways tell me if you ever win on this strategy. (I will be :shock: if you do)
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

ok, will do. :D
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

I think it's possible to win that way. Because...
AI will waste units trying to destroy defences :D

When it comes to research though... You don't really need many technologies, just one or two specialized weapons (AG + HV cannon probably). But when the VTOLs will come - Take Cover! :D
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

i havent accomplished it yet, but ive been trying. its really taking a lot of work in mastery, but i'll have it down. anyone who is interested should try it too and tell me what kind of progress they have gotten so far. :)
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Everytime I try this challenge, once the AI is coming at me with decent tanks (medium cannons with medium bodies + tracks) they just erode you and it can't be stopped. You can put cyborgs in the way, bunkers and hardpoints to back them up, but nothing works! You always end up worn down. Cyborg and tank rushes have also failed to take down enemy bases after the first 10 mins or so of the game.
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

Actually, in order to let you try harder: I have completed the challenge on first try (i was not yet (3 more games) able to do it again though). And it was on some release candidate (i think 2.3.5 rc1).
Its a matter of early gains - so far i am able to tell you. Get middle oil, spam mg tanks/borgs (i was using borgs mainly cause in the mid game the ais producing lot of cannon/lancer/mini pod tanks (more than mg, mra, flamer at least - or i want to believe that). With the first army (newly produced units go right into the main army) i took out two bases. By that time i was about to loose the middle oil but killing two ais was more profitable (slower research). I then started to fight back the attacks of the remaining 5 ais while continously build the army to maybe like 80-100 units. That time at latest the vtol attacks will start. So i took out another 3 bases with the army while using trucks in the base only to repair the factories from the vtol attacks (i never build AA besides mg tanks/borgs). Then it gets easy.
As i said, i was not able to repeat that again yet - mostly because i was pushing too hard often and in the process loosing too much.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment. - Carl Friedrich Gauss
Wisler
Trained
Trained

Post by Wisler »

tried this 5 times in a row with the borg strategy, i managed to secure pretty much all middle oil with 3 bunkers and rushed the first and second bases to the east of me, however thats when i hit a brick wall. The next base you try to rush even if you have about 80 mg borgs which is what i had with that were on borg alloys 3 and chaingun upgrades you get totally annialated. all the bases seemed to have about 10 defensive sructues and like 20-30 units packed inside and everything is superior tech. I didnt even get close to detroying another base. ( and by this point my base starts to come under attack, and the enemy you attack gets reinforcements sent by the other 4 AIs.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

Pm me to try out for RBL.
eZAK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eZAK »

Anybody find a strategy that works yet?
"The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams......"
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

My most recent attempts on 3.0 have all resulted in a quite fast fail. You really need to take down THREE bases somehow with the current standard of AI, early game, but no-one seems to have found a way to do this. Strangely, against DyDo AI, you might have more of a chance, because DyDo is more susceptable to early attacks.
egg
Greenhorn

Post by egg »

Where is this map available?