Challenge: No Place To Hide

For challenge discussions and reports
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Challenge: No Place To Hide

Post by Per »

No Place To Hide is an ultimate challenge on the MizaMaze map. Scavengers are disabled, and you start with simple bases and medium power level. You play against seven AIs that are all teamed up to get you.

The AI opposition will quickly go past you in research, and their superior power production early on will mean that your starting base will soon face considerable pressure from AI ground attacks. You can use the terrain to your advantage to ward off ground attacks, but the AIs will sooner or later (always much sooner than you would like) start attacking with fleets of VTOLs, and then the cramped terrain will be to your disadvantage.

Each player starts with 4 oil derricks, and there are a total of 17 oil resources in the middle of the map to fight for. The middle of the map will be difficult to hold, but if you fail to grab more resources, the AI is likely to eventually grind you down by not just being seven against you, but also by each of them having several times as much income as you do.

You can freely select your starting position on this challenge. Each starting position has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Post your play-through experiences, best time and comments below.
You can afford no mistakes this time.
You can afford no mistakes this time.
wz2100_shot_005.png (115.36 KiB) Viewed 29566 times
einhander
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Challenge: No Place To Hide

Post by einhander »

what is a challenge?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

einhander wrote:what is a challenge?
When you play the 2.3 betas, take a look in your single player menu. There is a new option there called "Challenges". It allows you to play fixed game setups, where your best time is recorded.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Really greate one.i can deal with air but not the huge ground assault >_> specially not heavy tanks T_T.... but sadly i loose the point.with so little energy whats the point of holding out since you know you cant.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

I'm the opposite, because I played a lot of MP games with disabled VTOL, I'm not used to them. Yet :).

The challenge teaches one thing: 'agressive oil management' :). It's what most new players on MP have trouble with - taking as much oil as you can, as fast as you can, and holding it. Campaing has relatively small oil amounts, 1-2 generators max, while in MP you need every bit of power.

In this challenge you should be able to make at least 4 new oil derrics before enemy tanks appear.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

I dont play mp only skirmish.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Impossible to complete!

2 V 6 would maybe (maybe only) be possible (if the ally was equal to the other AI), but this one is not possible. Heavy tanks will ALWAYS grind you down and can't be stopped.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yeah, it used to be possible, but then we improved the AI a lot...

I wonder, what if we split the AIs up into two teams of 3 each... and then left a base on the opposite side of the map from you empty... and retitle it "Caught in the Crossfire".
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Zarel wrote:Yeah, it used to be possible, but then we improved the AI a lot...

I wonder, what if we split the AIs up into two teams of 3 each... and then left a base on the opposite side of the map from you empty... and retitle it "Caught in the Crossfire".
I played game like that yesterday, and I barely finished it.(Hint: Lancer Bug Wheels spamming)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I like that. But I would like to keep this one, perhaps with some modification to make it easier to win. Perhaps remove one AI, or let the human player start with more trucks?
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Per wrote:

I like that. But I would like to keep this one, perhaps with some modification to make it easier to win. Perhaps remove one AI, or let the human player start with more trucks?
start player with 6 trucks and then I think it might be possible...
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

Well the med power only adds to the time it takes to finish the game, if you want to slow things down just make it so you only have 2 Research Centers and go Max power you still have to think what your doing or even go to 1, I used to do that on TW when I trained noobs that wanted to get into RBL, the best way to learn the tech tree was not by low power but less Research, and not wasting any you do. I will try this when I get home from work tonight.

4nE
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

perhaps with some modification to make it easier to win.
I thought the point of the Challenges was to hold out as long as possible against overwhelming odds and certain death.
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

stiv wrote:
perhaps with some modification to make it easier to win.
I thought the point of the Challenges was to hold out as long as possible against overwhelming odds and certain death.
Whats the point of that, I must win at all cost, but I am not crazy either, you basically run the game with the means to at lest try to win, tho its maybe very hard to do it, or at lest find a better way. Back in the early days of NEWST there was a map Bootcamp that camp out after the death of Pumpkin, RJ played this map up for weeks on how long it took him to beat it, and was giving daily updates at how hard the AI was, and it was so hard to do anything. What took him over 20+ hours to beat took me 4 hours, and thats just because I thought of things they didnt, because I played more multiplayer games and the AI tho good didnt really think, and once you figured out what it was doing it was easy to kill, and well thats what I tend to do in most games I play kill everything and let god sort it out.

4nE
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

Post by XHero_of_ChaosX »

i would say the best way to handle this challenge is to take all oil derricks in the center of the map and build walls at all bottlenecks as well as defenses. using turtle tactics is the way to go. going for VTOLs and cyborgs is the best choice: VTOLs for attacking and cyborgs for defense. i found this the best strategy, not to mention the choke i had on all of them with power. :twisted:
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão