Challenge: Back to Basics

For challenge discussions and reports
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Re: Challenge: Back to Basics

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

Assault Gunner wrote:Rushing is harder than it sounds... unless you are the Zerg in Starcraft online. But even then, a zergling rush is kind of hard to pull off, and people usually put out a few units ASAP to deal with it. of course, here you can spam 'borgs.

Actually, now that I've played it, Starcraft is kind of similar to WZ2100. That was a compliment.

Odd the first map in the demo and game was named RUSH, and back in the demo days most rush games never lasted more then 10 mins, granted this was T1 tech only that we had for the demo, but it was a lot of fun, and till the game came out and the patches were added for multiplayer.

Now you have a few kinds of Rushing type, but back when I was learning a friend of mine back then by the name of Firepower showed me the idea of truck rushing, and by far that was very nasty the key thing to any truck rush tho is power and lots of it, and knowing where to attack with them.

Keep in mind many of players will spend the first 10 mins or so building there base and then go out looking for power, and then work on combat units, so if you hit them in that first 10 mins with no defense up or combat units out they are F**KED.

4nE
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

However, once a player experiences a truck rush, they will put out a number of combat units on patrol to prevent that. So, the only occasion where truck rushing is a viable strategy is against a noob or a computer.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

woo hoo
I feel rather good =D
I feel rather good =D
i did this with wheeled cobra twin machine guns =D
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Wow congrats!

Will be trying to beat 9mins later ;)
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

lol first time round i did it in a leasurly hour, but then i noticed this challenge thread and ppls times, took me 4 tries to get that fast and im certain i have hit my peak.

having a lot more difficulty with challenge 2, missus been goin to bed alone for the last 2 nights, lol
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

GiGaBaNE wrote:lol first time round i did it in a leasurly hour, but then i noticed this challenge thread and ppls times, took me 4 tries to get that fast and im certain i have hit my peak.

having a lot more difficulty with challenge 2, missus been goin to bed alone for the last 2 nights, lol
My fastest right now is around 14 mins, and even that was kind of lucky at the time, because after I tried it again with the same basic weapons systems I used before the damn Scavs killed some of my trucks and slowed me down to much. The thing that I find good about what you did was that only 2 units were killed, thats really good.

4nE
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Got it down to 8:40 screenshot to follow when I can borrow the misses' laptop. Pretty sure I lost more than 2 units though. How can you do that?
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

im downloading the game to this computer (at in laws for the week) will do the same challenge again later and see if i can get 0 loss.

the repair centers work really well now and you need to keep moving them close to your front lines, all units on coward setting and just have a constantly rotating army.

8:40 is amazing! im pretty certain i cant beat that.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

GiGaBaNE wrote:im downloading the game to this computer (at in laws for the week) will do the same challenge again later and see if i can get 0 loss.

the repair centers work really well now and you need to keep moving them close to your front lines, all units on coward setting and just have a constantly rotating army.

8:40 is amazing! im pretty certain i cant beat that.
Would never have thought of that tactic! Nice one! 9 mins or less with no losses would be pretty damn hard... I guess you lost your units to mini-pod rockets?

8mins 10secs. I don't think I can beat that.
Attachments
8mins 10secs.png
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

GiGaBaNE wrote: the repair centers work really well now and you need to keep moving them close to your front lines, all units on coward setting and just have a constantly rotating army.
Heh, a while a go we used to play with cyborg Heavy gunners this way. Against cheating AI, building repair center almost in enemy base :).
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

did someone already try with DyDo-AI ? how quick could you defeat DyDo?
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

DylanDog wrote:did someone already try with DyDo-AI ? how quick could you defeat DyDo?
Will try it this weekend. First thoughts - I doubt there will be much difference. You just strike the AI too early for it really to do anything... We'll see though. Will also try the medium challenge once I'm a bit used to the new balance vs DyDo too, see how that plays out.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Mats wrote:You just strike the AI too early for it really to do anything...
That is so not true. Whatever options are available to a human player are also there for the AI, and if you play my experimental semperfi AI mod (available in/for trunk snapshots only), you will see some interesting moves on this map. It will immediately race to your first oil expansion, and build a defense on it, and within 2 minutes, your ramp to the central plateau will have been fortified by the AI to prevent you from gaining map control - within 3 minutes both ramps are blocked. So turtlers will be seriously scrambling to maintain a balance of power (if you pardon the pun).

So, what else would you have the AI do this on this map? :twisted:
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Per wrote: semperfi AI mod (available in/for trunk snapshots only)
I have downloaded the trunk but I cannot find semperfi AI neither on the mod folder nor on the base.wz, where is it?
My Warzone 2100 mods:
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

ok, sorry, I have found it.
My Warzone 2100 mods: