Suggestion thread for new challenges

For challenge discussions and reports
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Suggestion thread for new challenges

Post by KukY »

3drts wrote:*THIS ... IS ... SPARTA!!!*
7 allied AI vs player, custom map 7 bases at one side of the map(East), your base at the other(West).
The southern portion of the map is occupied by a semi-circular body of water, a "bay".
The northern part is also a (roughly) semi-circle of impassable mountains.
between the northern mountains and the shore of the bay, is a route along the shore 4-6 tiles wide.
Through the mountains, there would be a narrower path 1-3 tiles wide.
Between the shore and the mountains would be the "hot gates",
The 1-3 tile wide path would be the "goat trail" allowing an army to bypass the "hot gates"
Oil distribution on each side of the "hot gates" would be roughly even, except for the 6x4 extra oil from 4 oil being in each starting base, and there would be 6 more starting positions to the north than to the south.

Could be any Tech starting level (or you could have a T-1, T-2, T-3 version of it).
Basically, a turtling map, and given the poor AI, a Naval/hover attack (ok, so it doesn't really resemble the turning point that was the naval battle of Salamis after the battle of Thermopylae).

I'm somewhat partial to a T-2 start, so one could quickly get incendiaries for the chokepoints.

Enemy AI is limited to using hovers and cyborgs perhaps?
Just cyborgs?
I like it.
It is impossible to win, but if you have more oil then they have and AI is limited to cyborgs only, you may win then.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

*band of Brothers*
or
*Outposts*

Enemies: 7 scavenger factions, or maybe 1 standard AI faction and 6 scavs.
Scavs are given VERY large starting forces, map is based off an 8 pl desert map.

Settings: Advanced bases, T-1, Research facility limit: 0, Factory Limit: 0, Cyborg factory limit: 1, Repair facility limit: 1
If Lancer Cyborgs aren't available with just the tech from advanced bases (I don't recall what tech you start with on T-1 advanced bases), then there should be a custom setting- I want repair, MG, Flamer, cannon, and lancer borgs available, all with at least the first damage and ROF upgrade (and possibly give the borgs their first Kinetic and thermal armor upgrades)
Maybe grenadier borgs too.

No HQ for you, your base consists of a single Cyborg factory, 1 repair facility, 1 command relay center (any way to make it function as an HQ and provide the mini-map?), 1-2 power generators, 4 oil Derricks, surrounded by a wall with HMG hardpoints at the corners, and MG bunkers outside the entrances.
Your cyborg engineers cannot build any hardpoints, just bunkers and steel towers...
You don't so much "build a base", as "operate from an outpost", sending your mid T-1 level cyborgs(since advanced bases gives you some starting techs) against scavenger encampments.

The scavs would be aggressive and frequently attack (they would control all the oil on the map aside from the 4 in your base - if there was a standard AI, it would turtle.
Its composition would be similar to the first New Paradigm base encountered, except with a light factory replaced with a cyborg factory.

Possibly, the player is given a cyborg transport (but if so, I want to see some hurricane AA in the hands of scavs and the AI), and possibly a commander tank (I'm thinking command turret Cobra Half tracks, but maybe even a python.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

I would like to see a challenge with a countdown timer. You know,one that gives you, say, 30 minutes for a 1v1 map, 60 minutes for a 4P map, and 90-120 minutes of play for an 8P map. You have that much time to crush your opponent. If you fail to do so within the specified time, you fail the mission. Sort of like most campaign missions, but much, much harder.

You vs. 1 AI, start with no, basic, and advanced bases for the respective map types.

Basically, to win, you must do a Zerg Rush, as if you wait too long to build up your forces, you will inevitably fail. Except on the 8P map.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

1 vs. 100

You have a lone tank, with a nexus turret.
On the field, there are maybe 100 scavenger machine gunners. You can convert them to build up your own forces, or squish them.
Your tank will most likely need to have a heavy body, since you only get one.

On a larger map, there could be repair stations on the way, more scavengers that are slightly more powerful then the last. The key of the game is to convert as many as possible, without loosening them.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

ClockWork wrote:1 vs. 100

You have a lone tank, with a nexus turret.
On the field, there are maybe 100 scavenger machine gunners. You can convert them to build up your own forces, or squish them.
Your tank will most likely need to have a heavy body, since you only get one.

On a larger map, there could be repair stations on the way, more scavengers that are slightly more powerful then the last. The key of the game is to convert as many as possible, without loosening them.
Hmm, interesting idea.
That tank could be Nexus Turret Hydra Dragon Hover?
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Maybe not Hydra. After all, scavs have extremely low attack power. You will likely be able to convert them in time. And with allied repair stations scattered around... I have a hunch you will be fine.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

I've always found levels on which you are only given one unit and not the oppurtunity to get anymore in strategy games is just boring and rubbish and becomes about playing really slowly. This might be fun with a couple of bases (New Paradigm maybe) and a couple of scavs. A couple of scattered repair facilities sounds like a damn good idea. Your army could be a combination of tanks, medium body medium cannons, medium body lancers, couple of bunker busters and some cyborgs. You would have to use the tanks wisely to beat the enemy. You wouldn't need a time limit as if you spent too much time messing around, the bases would churn out tanks and wear you down.

1 vs 100 - Sounds a bit boring, but the concept is great!
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

Mats wrote: 1 vs 100 - Sounds a bit boring, but the concept is great!
hmm...perhaps. but what if you took over a scavenger base with your nexus turret? there wouldn’t be any oil derricks, but you would have to use the oil you find out on the field. that way you would need to make due with what you have anyway. that would also mean being careful to not to destroy the base while taking it over. it would require micromanagement on your part to keep it intact.
Then once you have a scavenger base, you could use whatever small forces you can muster up to help you take over the New Paradigm. A no oil map, everything is preset. I like the idea of thinking out my strategy, and micromanaging my units to achieve a goal, that would normally take a much larger group of tanks to do.

Anyway, a new idea:
Maintenance run.
You have about, ohI dont know, maybe 100 units, but they are all damaged to the point that even a single bullet would blow them up. But, you will have a set amount of repair workers, its up to you to decide which tanks and cyborgs to repair first before the timer runs out. Once it does, a large wave of enemies will be coming, and its up to the combination of units you have repaired to destroy them. Should you go for cyborg flamers, tank lancers , or a combination of them? But you must be quick, you wont be able to repair them all in time. Choose wisely.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

hmm...perhaps. but what if you took over a scavenger base with your nexus turret?
Didn't think about scavengers. Might work, might be too much micromanagement. Only one way to find out...

As a an aside, it's very annoying what text is in all different colours. It makes it hard to read.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

I remember an Age of Empires level where you start with a single "priest", and the first "enemies" you come across are basically just villagers, with a few primative clubmen or such - and its up to you to start converting workers to start building your own "town", the priest was used heavily in the beginning, converting as rapidly as it could (recharge was rather long), but later was mostly relegated to a support unit(healing, or converting the most dangerous foe of an attackers army) as your forces grew and took on the enemy.

It changed the start, but the mid and end game were basically identical.

Once that 1 tank converts a truck, its back to basics...

Then again, nexus turrets don't need to recharge between conversions, you could build up quite an army by stealing units.
Could be fun

100 scav infantry though..... just run them over... don't bother converting.

There should definitely be a challenge where you have a scavenger base, and units, and must take on project/new paradigm forces of mid-T1 tech (ie, T1, advanced bases starting tech).
Just need to add a scav truck or engineer.
neo_dragon2k
Trained
Trained

Post by neo_dragon2k »

LOL i think it would be funny if there was a challenge maybe called scav bowling where all you have is just a truck or maybe a repair turret and you have to run through a maze and just run over scav's. LOL the goal being to get the other side.

another idea i have is like a stealth mission. you play as a single scav and your stuck in the middle of a maze battle field. there are 2 factions fighting each other and you have to use this to your advantage so you can sneak past them and get back to your base. I think it could have some potential.

I know it's probably not possible now; but maybe in the future someone can come up with a sort of user friendly program for making challenges... like Flame; but for challenges. IDK just a thought. I do like the 1 V 100 idea. i would probably play it besides unlike the ungodly hard Old seaport challenge i think it might be possible to beat.