Interactive Tech Tree :)

For AI and campaign script related discussions and questions
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Interactive Tech Tree :)

Post by aubergine »

I've finally finished creating a Flying Logic model of the wz2100 tech tree.

The image below is a sneak peek - read on to get the download links...

Download the viewer:

You can get the free "reader" app at: http://flyinglogic.com/download/index.html

It works on Windows, Mac and Linux ('coz it's a Java app).

If you have some cash, I highly recommend buying their pro edition which lets you edit files as well. There's a 30 day trial on their website.

(Flying Logic is nothing to do with me, I'm just a fanboy of the tool after using it at work)

Download and view the xlogic files:

There is a ZIP file listed below this post, download it and extract it. Open the .xlogic files with the Flying Logic reader / editor.

There are two versions of the tree included:

* tree - with redundant: this is the tech tree including redundant links (shown as red lines)
* tree - trimmed: this is the same tree, but with redundant links (red lines) removed

Note: I identified redundant links manually, so I may have missed some.

Theory of Constraints:

Nothing to do with warzone or the tech tree, but I highly recommend learning about Theory of Constraints (TOC) - it's a great tool for getting ahead in business. There's a book called "The Goal" by Eliyahu M. Goldratt that is a good introduction. The Flying Logic tool mentioned above has all sorts of stuff for working with TOC diagrams.
Attachments
wz2100 tech tree.zip
You'll need to install Flying Logic reader before you can view the trees.
(42.15 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Last edited by aubergine on 10 Feb 2012, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: Interactive Tech Tree :)

Post by Emdek »

aubergine, very nice work. :-)
Although maybe it would be possible to tune down requirements, Java applet embed on page or maybe even JS / CSS / HTML version.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

The pro edition of Flying Logic has an SVG export which I guess could be put on a website.

I've just noticed that the "reader" app doesn't allow you to display successors/predecessors like the editor does, which is a shame because it's super useful (eg. select Flamer, then Edit > Select Successors = highlights everything you can do as a result of researching flamers).

I've not yet categorised all the techs (so a bunch of them are using default "Research" category rather than something more meaningful). Will try and improve that this evening. And as for grouping of things, eg. Cannons, I'm going to need further help because I still don't fully understand T0 -> T3 stuff, etc.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Yeah, scripted SVG would be good too.
Like flash mostly. ;-)

effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

This is cool :)

Much nicer to browse than the png on the main site.

I wonder if XMind could do what the free version of Flying Logic doesn't?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Trial Period

Your fully functional free trial of Flying Logic lasts for 30 days. After that, you will need to buy Flying Logic from our online store to continue using it.

:(
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

The reader app is free (rightmost column on their downloads page). The pro app (editor, on the left column of their downloads page) is commercial but has 30 day trial.

I just used the tools I already had installed, so apologies if not the most ideal file format. The files themselves are XML format IIRC so it might be possible to convert them to something else?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Yes, XML is easy to convert, but if they didn't used weird things inside then it could be used as is, there is anyway need to create custom visualizer.