Gauss Cannon research tree weirdness

For AI and campaign script related discussions and questions
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Gauss Cannon research tree weirdness

Post by NoQ »

cybersphinx wrote:I guess the most probable reason is "lack of useful visualization", so those things are easily overlooked.
Hmm, can't this sort of thing be checked with some simple graph algorithm?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Besides the Artifact relationship spoken to already...

Though disabled after Patch v.1.03, the MP "Transformations" code was dynamically linked to the Tech Research Tree ... as in auto-triggering in-game event(s) and not simply making available for the player to act-on for it to happen.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

aubergine wrote:@dak180: I'm still not convinced that's a valid assertion. Let's take this little gem I just found:

Green lines indicate longest path. Red line indicates pointless prereq, because until the green line path has been taken you can't get assault gun hardpoint.

Now, if I got an artefact that gave me Rotary MG Bunker, then that by definition includes Assault Gun (whether I'd researched Assault Gun or not). In which case I should be able to research Assault Gun Hardpoint even if I've not got Assault Gun, yes? Alternatively, it should give me all prereq techs that are not yet researched?
No, getting artifact just gives you that tech not any of the prerequisites for it, so if you got Rotary MG Bunker Artifact you would then be able to research only the Rotary MG Bunker; without the additional requirement of the Assault Gun you would then be able to research the Assault Gun Hardpoint without ever having gotten the Assault Gun or any of its prerequisites.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

So artefact = enables a tech to be researched even if it's prereqs aren't researched?

In that case, I think the artefact code should be updated to give you a free research on the way to the tech contained in the artefact (or the artefact tech itself if you already have the prereqs researched).
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
raycast
Trained
Trained

Post by raycast »

I would keep redundant prerequisites in some situations.

It's not about having a minimal graph, but one should also think of the users. As such, I would actually keep the redundant link to the previous major technology. So Gauss depending on Rail gun is okay for me, because if a user manually (without a tool) looks at the prereq, it will be obvious that he needs to go for rail gun before, without having to derive this from the mk3 rail darts.