Do you like the new Beta changes?

Warzone 2.3.x series. (Unsupported!)
If you issue is with 3.1.x, then DON'T post here, instead use technical support

The UPnP support is great!
29%
The UPnP support is great--but it don't work for me! (list router in your post)
4%
The new HP bars look great, or at least as good as before!
63%
The new HP bars look OK, but I like the old ones better...
4%

Total votes: 52

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

We would like some feedback...

Do you like the new Beta changes so far?

You can comment about other things in the beta that you like/don't like also...

Thanks, and keep testing!!
and it ends here.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: Do you like the new Beta changes?

Post by Terminator »

HP bars looks ok. Just only one suggestion if to make 1 pixel space between HP and reload bars. However I liked old HP bar types(not modes), I mean there was bars like little squares, and other one like not full drawn square.

One more thing: Where are game modes gone ? or its just picture had confused me :\ ..don't know. :ninja: (I made a ticket just in case)
Last edited by Terminator on 22 Nov 2009, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I'd like the UPnP support better if it didn't break Mac OS X. ;)
DisLike
Greenhorn

Post by DisLike »

I am playing trunk version (not release) at the moment, but I must say that you are doing a wonderful job here :) New textures, a new way of seeing what are the plans (what will be bult) for the trucks... Scavengers in skirmish maps - also a great idea, except that as far as I see, they are not fully operative yet (scavenger vehicles are not yet being build in their bases) :)

All in all, thank you for your time developing this wonderful game :)
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

DisLike wrote:they are not fully operative yet (scavenger vehicles are not yet being build in their bases) :)
I'm pretty sure they do, just very very slowly.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

I don't care for either of the changes. I leave UPnP disable. I don't see a reason to make all bars bigger, but I don't mind.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I have not had a failed game due to out of sync so far.
Tanks and trucks still get stuck with not knowing where they going they just sit still till you highlight them and click on a structure then they will go do what you tell them.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

I miss the blue dots on the minimap to know where my resources are... :(
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

I like the green building holograms that really help visualize your base as you build it. However, I find on some maps, especially when viewing off-axis, that I miss the highlighted square tile. The square tile was actually very helpful when building small structures where you want to space things out, such as a row howitzers each is spaced 1 tile apart. Sometimes it seems like the green structure hologram doesn't line up correctly with the underlying tile while hovering the mouse over tiles to select the build site. Again I think this is more due to human perception viewing perspectives at weird angles. But it's helped me build structures out of alignment with other structures on more than one occasion. And in some maps, every tile of build space must be maximized.

Q: Would it be possible to both highlight the underlying tile and show the green structure hologram just while hovering the mouse? Then after the build site tile is chosen only display the green structure hologram as it is now?
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

kenalcock wrote:I like the green building holograms that really help visualize your base as you build it. However, I find on some maps, especially when viewing off-axis, that I miss the highlighted square tile
I think it would be useful too.
tiggerib
New user

Post by tiggerib »

I am new to this forum and loved the original game and had hours of fun with it! I downloaded the latest beta version and I have to say I am very impressed byt what you have done. From what I can tell the same Tech Trees apply that were in original. I have seen a few minor bugs which I will document for you a little later on which items they were; however, overall I would have to say AWESOME JOB Y'all!!!
dragonflythecat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dragonflythecat »

Man, Where Do I Start?

There has been times while playing everything from 2.2.4 to the current Beta; times...when I wanted to wring someone's neck over the way this game behaves. Can you visualize my hand wrapping around your throat and slowly squeezing the code from your pores?

The first thing we should deal with is the Research Control Panel. On the face of it the research control panel seems like a wonderful concept but if it is such a wonderful concept why are other game developer not try to steal it from you? Didn't any of you take the time to ask yourselves that question? It appears not. If you have not figured it out for yourselves as yet, the Research Control Panel is the games' main Speed-Limiting Governor. That's Governor like the one found on a go-cart engine which limits how fast a go-cart can go.

If you take the time to look at the weapon you are researching while researching upgrades you will notice that the weapon does not change appearance, the weapon does not act as if it had been upgraded, whether it has been upgraded from mk1 to mk2 to mk3 to some other upgrade - its just crap - it does nothing but waste your time trying to micro-manage the game. We need to get rid of everything labeled mk2 and mk3 for a start.

A point in contention:

I can beat any player on any map this game can produce researching only Trucks and Base Defenses - Against any player who researches Trucks, Tanks, Cyborgs, and Vtol's - anywhere on this planet. Come get some!

I going to build 15 trucks, split into two groups, the first will stay home and build Base Defenses and the second group is coming to your house to build long range defenses surrounding you. How many items on the Research Control Panel will you be able to research and implement before I totally annihilate you? Twenty? Fifty? Out of what Thousands of choices in no coherent order, and remember the internal limitation the game places on a player - the more items you try to build the slower the building gets done, whether it is trucks or factories - the game gives you a set amount of time for items to be built in the game - you have lost before the game has began.

The only way to protect yourself from me is to remove Mk2 and Mk3 items from the Research Control Panel, otherwise you shouldn't play unless you like getting your butt beat.

If you have ever really played the game to its uppermost abilities maybe you have run into this as well. Here is the scenario: Difficulty Level: Hard 8P T3 set up the game so that is you against 7 AI opponents, take those little scroll bars next to each AI player and maximize them to their upper level - this will enable the AI's to get oil refinery burst at regular intervals, research faster and cheat against you - now go win the game.

This scenario will teach you what the AI considers the best weapon for combat: at T3 the AI considers the best weapon to be a Heavy Cannon Turret on a Tiger with tracks. Can anyone tell me how long does it take to research what the AI considers the Ultimate Combat Weapon? Well as many of you know the Ultimate weapon is not a Heavy Cannon Tiger on Tracks - It is a Gauss Cannon on any heavy body chassis with Tracks - it is the most heavily armored vehicle you can create - so why research anything else? Doesn't that make everything else useless?

Well, you think about while I move on to the next subject: Trucks and Tanks. I first noticed this while playing the Campaign using Beta 6 - it seemed as if the trucks and tanks were ignoring my orders like they were thinking of mutiny. I would issue an order and either it would be filled or the truck would build a few units and then stop halfway in the building or they wouldn't do anything at all. I would highlight a large group of tanks using the Left-Ctrl/ A key to select all combat units and order them to attack my opponent and about a third of my attack force would follow the command and the rest would be on a coffee break. Let that happen to you a few times during a game and see if that don't piss you off enough to find a different game to play.

But there is a problem with my analogy: It doesn't happen during a Scrimmage game, trucks behave normally. So I'm going give the game another chance, I go to the site and get Beta 7, after I totally remove Beta 6. I installed Beta 7, on the first Campaign everything is fine because now I looking and expecting it to mess up. It begins happen in the middle of the Second Campaign - but I'm close and there isn't that much farther to go - so I decide to work with the problem, it will just take more time to micro-manage those construction projects. I finish the Second Campaign, save the game and the game crashes and kicks me back to the desktop.

I was rather devoid of emotions at that point, staring at Tropical Sunset scene on the monitor wondering what just happened to me - I live in the Pacific Northwest it has been raining here for over a month. Fine. I restarted the game and clicked on the saved Second Campaign file, which I saved at the completion of the Second Campaign, but the file in the saved game section wasn't the one I saved at the end of the second campaign - that file - I have no idea. But the one I clicked on took me to previous saved point in the second campaign - Okay, after all, it is a Beta version - so i started playing the game at that point and won the Second Campaign again - I get to that screen that says I won and click on that button to Continue the Game and the game crashes and kicks me out to the desktop, a second time. Now I am pissed but I'm not exactly sure at what or who.

A problem is only a problem until you find the solution.

So I have a copy of 2.2.4 and every Beta afterward, so I dump Beta 7 and clean out every instance of Warzone from computer, including the registry. I then install 2.2.4 and try the first campaign and sure enough my Trucks and Tanks won't listen to me - Well that changes things slightly, I think. What does version 2.2.4 have in common with version 2.3 Beta 6 and Beta 7? Can't be much!The problem wasn't apparent when I first used 2.2.4 or any Beta before 6. That narrows down the culprit considerably, doesn't it?

I don't believe that changing the Window Installer at Beta 4 is involved - it is more basic than that, I think. I noticed that when we uninstall Warzone before installing the new Beta that a directory OpenAL isn't removed and each Beta version installs to this directory and to the registry. Can my OpenAL directory become corrupt through multiple installs and uninstalls of Beta Versions of the game? Should it also be uninstalled between versions?

A problem can have more than one probable solution.

Another way to look at this irregularity of the trucks and tanks not following commands is that it is intended to cause the player grief as a new much awaited improvement to Beta 6. Could someone go over and tell Charlie Brown that his dog called and it is time for him to go home? I have enough grief in my life as it is...
What is the incentive for war? Fewer oil rigs.
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

you seem to think that the current people doing development are the original ones. That is not the case.

the game was never balanced for t2 or t3.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

dragonflythecat wrote:The first thing we should deal with is the Research Control Panel. On the face of it the research control panel seems like a wonderful concept but if it is such a wonderful concept why are other game developer not try to steal it from you? Didn't any of you take the time to ask yourselves that question? It appears not. If you have not figured it out for yourselves as yet, the Research Control Panel is the games' main Speed-Limiting Governor. That's Governor like the one found on a go-cart engine which limits how fast a go-cart can go.
That's not something that was changed between now and the new beta. If you disagree with it, make a new thread; don't post in this one.
dragonflythecat wrote:I can beat any player on any map this game can produce researching only Trucks and Base Defenses - Against any player who researches Trucks, Tanks, Cyborgs, and Vtol's - anywhere on this planet. Come get some!

I going to build 15 trucks, split into two groups, the first will stay home and build Base Defenses and the second group is coming to your house to build long range defenses surrounding you. How many items on the Research Control Panel will you be able to research and implement before I totally annihilate you? Twenty? Fifty? Out of what Thousands of choices in no coherent order, and remember the internal limitation the game places on a player - the more items you try to build the slower the building gets done, whether it is trucks or factories - the game gives you a set amount of time for items to be built in the game - you have lost before the game has began.
Perhaps if you were playing against someone who does nothing but research. Compete against a legitimate player, and a truck rush is quite easy to defeat.
dragonflythecat wrote:If you have ever really played the game to its uppermost abilities maybe you have run into this as well. Here is the scenario: Difficulty Level: Hard 8P T3 set up the game so that is you against 7 AI opponents, take those little scroll bars next to each AI player and maximize them to their upper level - this will enable the AI's to get oil refinery burst at regular intervals, research faster and cheat against you - now go win the game.

This scenario will teach you what the AI considers the best weapon for combat: at T3 the AI considers the best weapon to be a Heavy Cannon Turret on a Tiger with tracks. Can anyone tell me how long does it take to research what the AI considers the Ultimate Combat Weapon? Well as many of you know the Ultimate weapon is not a Heavy Cannon Tiger on Tracks - It is a Gauss Cannon on any heavy body chassis with Tracks - it is the most heavily armored vehicle you can create - so why research anything else? Doesn't that make everything else useless?
Actually, it's because of a few other flaws of the AI system, flaws which will soon be fixed.
dragonflythecat wrote:Well, you think about while I move on to the next subject: Trucks and Tanks. I first noticed this while playing the Campaign using Beta 6 - it seemed as if the trucks and tanks were ignoring my orders like they were thinking of mutiny. I would issue an order and either it would be filled or the truck would build a few units and then stop halfway in the building or they wouldn't do anything at all. I would highlight a large group of tanks using the Left-Ctrl/ A key to select all combat units and order them to attack my opponent and about a third of my attack force would follow the command and the rest would be on a coffee break. Let that happen to you a few times during a game and see if that don't piss you off enough to find a different game to play.
Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen that happen...
dragonflythecat wrote:But there is a problem with my analogy: It doesn't happen during a Scrimmage game, trucks behave normally. So I'm going give the game another chance, I go to the site and get Beta 7, after I totally remove Beta 6. I installed Beta 7, on the first Campaign everything is fine because now I looking and expecting it to mess up. It begins happen in the middle of the Second Campaign - but I'm close and there isn't that much farther to go - so I decide to work with the problem, it will just take more time to micro-manage those construction projects. I finish the Second Campaign, save the game and the game crashes and kicks me back to the desktop.
Crash report, please. Upload the warzone2100.RPT file, or the equivalent for your OS.
dragonflythecat wrote:I was rather devoid of emotions at that point, staring at Tropical Sunset scene on the monitor wondering what just happened to me - I live in the Pacific Northwest it has been raining here for over a month. Fine. I restarted the game and clicked on the saved Second Campaign file, which I saved at the completion of the Second Campaign, but the file in the saved game section wasn't the one I saved at the end of the second campaign - that file - I have no idea. But the one I clicked on took me to previous saved point in the second campaign - Okay, after all, it is a Beta version - so i started playing the game at that point and won the Second Campaign again - I get to that screen that says I won and click on that button to Continue the Game and the game crashes and kicks me out to the desktop, a second time. Now I am pissed but I'm not exactly sure at what or who.
There's an Autosave file, you know - you don't need to go and play the whole game all over again.

Upload that savegame, by the way. I've never been able to crash at the end of the campaign...
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

dragonflythecat wrote:I can beat any player on any map this game
Question are you saying that you can beat any player no matter what they research or only if they research in multiple categories tanks, cyborgs, etc. If you are just saying you can beat any player I would like to challenge you once the server is back online. Please join my game I am often hosting under my name. :|

To go back on topic I am very happy with the latest changes to the beta especially as far as giving more power to the host. Making it easier to host a game and get it started faster. The only thing I am not as happy about is the changes to weapons such as cost and power and changes to the tech tree, I believe for the most part it was fine the way it was but that's just my opinion.