Model/texture work

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
coolydudey60
Rookie
Rookie

Model/texture work

Post by coolydudey60 »

I'm offering to learn to do one of these and help out with the game (or art revolution). I've got blender, and a good tutorial: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

What I need to know is what you guys think needs the most work (I will often have limited time though, so preferably the one that can be done quicker), and what I need to learn, depending on which path I follow. I know there are resources on the forum (e.g. Olrox's hints for 3d models and textures), but if for example I were to do models, I don't think I'd need the whole guide I mentioned, just some techniques, and that's the other part I'm looking for help on (what I'll need). Is what I'm talking about even viable? (I'm no slow learner or noob at computers, quite the opposite, just that I haven't much experience with this sort of stuff). I'll be thankful for any input, and there will be an inevitable phase of a million questions on here (or maybe not, I try to learn autonomously), but hopefully I'll be able to make some meaningful contributions other than maps.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: Model/texture work

Post by Iluvalar »

I don't know if you want to help or not. My NRS mod is 2.3.9 only (be warned), but it might be good practice for start. Because I pack the mod in a map, I can't add any new textures into it. So it could be a convenient practice for you as it will require only 3D modeling skills. Also, it doesn't require the same amount of details since it's only for 2.3 where graphics are still pretty low overall.

If interested i'm looking for 2.3 pie models for
*Bank
*Modern bank
*Financial center

I wont mind if they don't look anything close to an actual bank. As long as they have a distinctive shape, look similar (they have similar functions) and that they don't have holes into it. XD
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
coolydudey60
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coolydudey60 »

Thanks for trusting me with some work to do, but I really don't have the skills yet (as I said, I have next-to-no experience in the field). I'd really like to contribute, but I would appreciate it if people could point me in the right direction, so everything can be done more efficiently. If I get there, we'll see what happens next. I need:1)modelling or textures? (preferably the one that is quicker to do) 2)if modelling, what? if textures, what? (what do I need to learn)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

There are several viable approaches to producing the models. The most important steps, I think, is lowpoly modeling and uv unwrapping. From there, you can choose your workflow. If you plan on using normal maps, I would suggest the so-called hipoly -> lowpoly workflow, i.e. you remake the same model but you model out every detail, then you "bake" the detailed model into the lowpoly's texture. This is somewhat labor-intensive but produces the best results. If you're not into normal maps, you can paint/edit the texture directly in your favourite image editor. Another approach is to begin with a texture, like one of the textures included with warzone, and map parts of it to your model as you build (a bit like kitbashing). I did this for my experiment with helicopter propulsion.

For modeling, what you need is a program like blender, or any modeler that can export .obj or .3ds. I suggest avoiding sketchup since it doesn't have good export options unless you buy the pro version. Blender has lots of features, but what we need is basic polygon models only. When exporting models for warzone, we generally use WMIT, which loads models and textures and makes the .pie files necessary. The .pie files are entirely human readable and can be edited in any text editor. They contain vertex and face data, as well as certain options like texture name etc.

I actually made a basic modeling tutorial which can be found here.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
coolydudey60
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coolydudey60 »

Thanks Jorzi, you covered me as far as modelling goes. What about textures? Which should I do?
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

Well are you competent with an image editing program such as GIMP or Photoshop? If not, I recommend you go the modelling only route....
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I recommend you to spend your time on what you already know, i.e. coding. This project needs manpower right now, not in some future.
coolydudey60
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coolydudey60 »

Well are you competent with an image editing program such as GIMP or Photoshop? If not, I recommend you go the modelling only route....
Know quite a few things, I can do a fair amount of image editing, compared to zero modelling. So textures according to you? I'd still need to learn stuff, but I won't be starting from scratch.
I recommend you to spend your time on what you already know, i.e. coding. This project needs manpower right now, not in some future.
Coding (c++) is something I picked up in my free time as a hobby. I don't have the patience or the knowledge to code properly (I am generally impatient, but programming frustrates me even more). I use it mainly for some maths stuff and to mess around. Heck, I've never been bothered to do a proper class. My time would definitely not be well spent here.

Basically, my goal is to pick up the skills, do some stuff for the project, then when I get bored, ah whatever.

EDIT: Hmmm, perhaps modelling is a cooler skill to pick up?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

coolydudey60 wrote:EDIT: Hmmm, perhaps modelling is a cooler skill to pick up?
it is not so strongly demanded than coding, but if you really want to model, you should know how to texture your works.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Unfortunately, since we have quite a limited team, we all have to do both modeling and texturing. I suggest you try making a model, then unwrapping it and giving it a basic texture. Then, depending on what feels more natural, you can either do the hipoly baking or drawing everything in gimp/photoshop. Hipoly baking essentially allows you to model the details you want, and the computer draws them onto your texture. You still have to color them, though.
ImageImage
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

I will help :!:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I'll resume work on the mod once I get back to my own computer, but for now I thought I'd start an initiative to recreate the cutscenes in high resolution.
If anyone is interested to participate, what we need is detailed models with materials & preferably textures for use as props in the various scenes. Polycount & topology is irrelevant, just make them look good.
Models needed:

Nuke satellite with missile & release mechanism (very detailed)
Urban buildings, lightposts & other props, partly ruined and broken
Skeleton
Truck convoy & rocky mountain base
Nexus & Project command centers

Anything which is present in the videos really.

Preferable file format is .blend, but anything I can import is good (.skp is discouraged)

Did some doodling around on the nuke launcher in the nexus base.
Attachments
silo1.jpg
silo1.jpg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 10348 times
ImageImage
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

I'll do some 'urban buildings' and 'lamposts' cos it sounds easy enough
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Sounds good :)
Urban stuff will be needed in several cutscenes.
ImageImage
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

Jorzi wrote:Sounds good :)
Urban stuff will be needed in several cutscenes.
Are you wanting many variant's of buildings, and if so, how many?
How large are you expecting these meshes to be?

EDIT: I'm also presuming you want r shaped lamposts not I shaped ones