Any guidelines around here

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
anark10n
New user

Any guidelines around here

Post by anark10n »

Hey there Warzone 2100 commies!

Just wanted to know if there are any guidelines for artwork for this game; things like texture sizes, polygon count, themes, that kind of stuff.

Great game you guys have here by the way. Specially loving the minimal look.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Any guidelines around here

Post by aubergine »

I'm interested in this info as well, I currently have no docs on these subjects in the modding wiki and would very much like to compile a complete guide to this aspect of modding.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=564&p=104577#p104234
There is a greate many threads on art in this very forum look at the dev tab at top of this page also see wzgm wiki plus there is a heap of info looking in the data folder in the game you can see what images are used and the models etc.

As the game is evolving some art info is out dated so you might need to research some.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

This may be a remarkably stupid question to ask... what is a "pie"?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Some model format, used internally in wz. You can have a look in the data folders (:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

PIE, as NoQ said, is warzone's text-based 3d model format, the structure of which is somewhat similar to .obj. Specs can be seen here.
As for polycounts, dependes of course on how often that model is used, as well as the target system specs. I'd say keep it around 500-700 for a normal turret-body-propulsion combo. For frequently used models like walls, try to stay below 200, while single models like command center can have up to ~1000 if needed. On high-end systems, the polycount has little if any effect on performance, but try not to go overboard. A good game model is always optimized.

When it comes to texture resolution, remember that many systems only have 256 MB of graphics memory. I've found that 256x256 is enough for most turrets. Bodies and larger propulsions I usually put two of them on a 512x512 texpage. Large bodies like dragon and cyborg transoprt might need a 512x512 page each and for buildings,campaign transport etc, I recommend 1024x1024. I also recommend making the textures in at least double resolution and then downscaling them afterwards.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
anark10n
New user

Post by anark10n »

Is starcraft 2 kind of detail of detail acceptable, i wonder?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I guess, if you're targeting mid to high end only
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-