Pillboxes

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Pillboxes

Post by MaNGusT »

swatspeedman wrote: Do I need to add a texture?
you should map your model 1st, then draw a diffuse texture for the model, then add it into wmit and see how it looks
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

MaNGusT wrote:also, cybersphinx even didn't give us the version with his changes :/
O_o It's here: https://github.com/Warzone2100/WMIT
I can't and won't compile it..
For Windows? I don't use that, and it doesn't compile easily in my current cross-compiler setup, so... me neither.
We want information... information... information.
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

MaNGusT wrote:
swatspeedman wrote: Do I need to add a texture?
you should map your model 1st, then draw a diffuse texture for the model, then add it into wmit and see how it looks
I'm gonna be honest here, I can't map for sh*t. It just looks like a load of shapes to me, I dunno what is what.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

it compiles and works before yours commits well... mac support, cross-platform... for what? for who? for you? 3dsMax, photoshop is mainly windows based... all designers use windows... oh I forgot something sorry, you live in your own coder's universe where all have to be cross-platform.. ;)
swatspeedman wrote:I'm gonna be honest here, I can't map for sh*t. It just looks like a load of shapes to me, I dunno what is what.
google is your friend. "uvw mapping" :) it's not a 1 day task, even not a 1 month task... you should do some lessons and tutorials before you will get things looking "right".
Last edited by MaNGusT on 20 Dec 2011, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

I know how to unwrap, it's just when I have the image in front of me I have no idea which face is which.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

swatspeedman wrote:I know how to unwrap, it's just when I have the image in front of me I have no idea which face is which.
that's why you should create a high poly version of your model and then bake its details(shadows) to an ambient occlusion texture, then use this texture as a "baseplate" for your diffuse texture.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

MaNGusT wrote:it compiles and works before yours commits well... mac support, cross-platform... for what? for who? for you?
Yes, for me. To change the current models. If someone else finds my changes useful, good, if not, they can use some other version.
We want information... information... information.
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

I'm just baking the textures now, won't bother with the rest like lighting. It's only rough.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

cybersphinx wrote:Yes, for me. To change the current models. If someone else finds my changes useful, good, if not, they can use some other version.
is there, by any chances, a way to switch between pie2 and pie3 export in compiled wmit?
swatspeedman wrote:I'm just baking the textures now, won't bother with the rest like lighting. It's only rough.
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Add_s ... in_Blender
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

MaNGusT wrote:
swatspeedman wrote:I'm just baking the textures now, won't bother with the rest like lighting. It's only rough.
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Add_s ... in_Blender
Just done ambient occlusion before you posted this.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Also a nice thing to know is that blender has a texture paint mode in the 3d view. The painting tools may not be as advanced as gimp/photoshop but they still have a nice feature set and you can paint directly on the 3d model (assuming you have correctly unwrapped it). Very good for doing the base texture as well as for painting out seams.
Sometimes I paint a basic color texture in blender and refine it in gimp etc.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

Textures, ambient occlusion all baked and added to my mesh as textures.
Now what?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Export it as an .obj and open it in WMIT ;)
Can we see your texture?
ImageImage
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

Export the rocket pod as one, the holder as one and the stand as another? Then open them in WMIT then what? Save them as pie as some sort of special name?
Attachments
Textures.zip
(2.58 MiB) Downloaded 233 times
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Exactly :) , gnhrckt.pie for the rocket pod, trhrckt.pie for the holder and blhowmnt.pie for the stand.

After that, you go to your wz install directory, and in the mods folder create a new folder called "yourmodnamehere".
in "yourmodnamehere" create one folder with the name structs, one named texpages and one named components (you essentially copy the folder structure inside the base.wz file).
Then you put your textures into texpages, blhowmnt.pie into structs, and the other .pies into components/weapons/

@the textures: uv mapping isn't perfect but will work for now, I've seen worse.

EDIT: oh, and to run your mod you create a shortcut of warzone2100.exe and in its properties you edit the path so that it reads "installpath/warzone2100.exe" --mod=yourmodnamehere
ImageImage