Pillboxes

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Joe
Greenhorn

Re: Pillboxes

Post by Joe »

Berg wrote: Image
This appearance violates my understanding of a bunker, it looks more like a machinegun tower!

Typically a bunker is build with minimal exposed surface, and not presenting a vast concrete wall towards the enemy.

Place it much lower, even if one side becomes burried. A bunker built into a rock in the mountains mustn't be able to fire in every direction, its function is to control a valley or pass.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Joe: that was an old test of extended bases for buildings, as opposed to stretching the geometry. The code has since then been modified, and buildings are no longer that high up...

@swatspeedman: I meant that the texture patterns were a bit stretched on the model (and the diamondplate is obviously the wrong scale, too)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Joe wrote:This appearance violates my understanding of a bunker, it looks more like a machinegun tower!

Typically a bunker is build with minimal exposed surface, and not presenting a vast concrete wall towards the enemy.

Place it much lower, even if one side becomes burried. A bunker built into a rock in the mountains mustn't be able to fire in every direction, its function is to control a valley or pass.
Maybe there isn't one clear cut definition of bunkers. Check out these photos --> The fatal beauty of Bunkers
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

Okay, the look with the new textures.

EDIT:Just rescaled the battery a bit as it was looking rather puny
Attachments
2011-12-22_00002.jpg
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Nice, I see you are getting the hang of it :)
ImageImage
swatspeedman
Trained
Trained

Post by swatspeedman »

Yeah, now I get the basics it's much easier. All I have to do now is practice my mesh making and texture making skills. Also, what is the point of spec maps? I know it's something to do with light but wouldn't it just make it look like it is being constantly illuminated from the same angle and distance?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Okay, the look with the new textures.
Did somebody say hello kitty mod?
Cream puff artillery to the rescue!!!
IgorBrehm
Trained
Trained

Post by IgorBrehm »

:haha:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@swatspeedman: Specmaps define how bright the specular (= mirror-like) reflections are. For example, clay has a very low specularity, almost zero, wood has low to medium specularity and plastic and metal have medium to high specularity, depending on how polished they are.
ImageImage
Joe
Greenhorn

Re:

Post by Joe »

JDW wrote:
Joe wrote:This appearance violates my understanding of a bunker, it looks more like a machinegun tower!
Maybe there isn't one clear cut definition of bunkers. Check out these photos --> The fatal beauty of Bunkers
Some of the pictures show the ruins of fortified emplacements and defence towers...
But okay, it was an old posting I bumped, never mind..
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

The thread is not about the actual structures it for learning to model etc.
Joe wrote:Some of the pictures show the ruins of fortified emplacements and defence towers...
But okay, it was an old posting I bumped, never mind..
Dont worry too much all input is welcome for most everything without it one would not know issues

Regards Berg