Scale of Everything ...

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Berg
Regular
Regular

Scale of Everything ...

Post by Berg »

I have been looking at models and the terrain etc and it seems that some effort might be put into getting the scale of everything to match.

I am not saying I can do it I suggest this to start the seed of an idea in the minds of everyone.

My thought is firstly to just up the actual map tile size maybe double it or even 4 times it to 512 X 512.(this will need a coder to change things)

This in itself will make the scale of the map to a scav warrior much larger and may allow the upsizing of many of the models yet stay within a tile size.

Anyway best regards Berg
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Scale of Everything ...

Post by Jorzi »

I guess the ultimate question for this discussion will be "Do we want/need a realistic scale for a game like warzone?"
Personally, I think the scale of most things in warzone is pretty ok, especially compared to many other games (the c&c series comes to mind)
What things specifically would you like to see rescaled and how much?
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Based on the gravitational constant, assuming earth gravity, a tile is about a metre. So if you're ever on the battlefield, be careful not to trip over the bug hovers or to squish the scavengers.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Jorzi wrote:What things specifically would you like to see rescaled and how much?
Mostly what erks me is the size of the scavs and oil drums and things like that

The size of a factory being too small to service a large tank ,scale is really wacky.
Cyp wrote:Based on the gravitational constant, assuming earth gravity, a tile is about a metre. So if you're ever on the battlefield, be careful not to trip over the bug hovers or to squish the scavengers.

Any way its just a thought so if its not worth thinking about then realistic scale is up for grabs and models dont have to match..I just remember many discussions on this very topic and how many thought the scale was screwy .
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It is just a game...?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Cyp: Most games have made up gravitational accelerations, because sometimes 9.81m/s^2 is just lame. You wouldn't want to wait five minutes for your artillery shells to arrive anyway :P
@Berg: The scavs are a bit small indeed, but on the other hand, they are quite well in scale with roads and other features, so maybe it's the tanks and cyborgs that are a bit too huge? Oil drums are huge of course, but that's just because they are essentially symbols.
@Per: That would explain the save & load functions, wouldn't it? :P
ImageImage
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Berg wrote:My thought is firstly to just up the actual map tile size maybe double it or even 4 times it to 512 X 512.(this will need a coder to change things)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5413 ? :ninja:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote:viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5413 ? :ninja:

Not the same topic :roll:
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Hi Berg. Sorry yesterday I quitted.

As I was trying to tell you, it would be easier to scale the units down then the structures up. However. do we want it as a game ? I think the answer is NO. Here is my explanations.

First we would scale down the units. They'd look fine with the factories, however we'd instantly see another problem. They'd look look the are nearly teleporting themself (on top of being harder to see). The pursue of realism would make us scale their speed. It will not take long to realize that better range are more efficient when you are slower. So we would scale down the range of the weapons and the splash radius (see my miniX3 mod where I did all that except the actual scaling).

That would be fun and keep the balance, BUT it would require a total change in the maps. Bases will definitively require to be neighbor of each other. That would definitively change all the feel of the game.

in other term : the game is speed up and to make that look more realistic, the units are scaled so they don't go too fast. That's why it's like that. And that's why the ranges look like that also. Otherwise we would A) Need to travel one hour to the opponent base. B) have him build his base straight in our backyard (not really more realistic anyway).
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Out of all of the rts games that I know about, I'd say that Supreme Commander 1 and 2 were both able to implement scaling in a successful way, though that's because they allow players to zoom in and out to as much as they desire. Units that would be too small to be seen on the screen at any given zoom level would be represented as blips.

Of course, implementing such a feature would be too much work to do for a game as old as Warzone 2100. We could consider adding it if we were planning on developing a sequel though.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Yeah, supreme commander has a nice sense of scale and it seems to me that the whole game is built specifically with that in mind.
But as you say, it wouldn't be a very realistic idea to apply that concept to warzone (if the engine could even handle it).
ImageImage