My Heavy Cannon Model

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

My Heavy Cannon Model

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Okay, so I just recently made a comment about how I felt no one had yet made an Art Revolution cannon model that captured the look of the old one. Just last night, I decided that I'd try my hand at making my own in Blender. Since I essentially did this over a morning without any prior experience in the program, it's rather simple and doesn't have textures, but I still feel like I did a good job. For those of you with actual experience in the program, comments and constructive criticism would be appreicated. :wink:
Attachments
Heavy_Cannon.PNG
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: My Heavy Cannon Model

Post by Jorzi »

Not bad for a first time model :)
The hardest part, however, is hipoly modelling & texturing.
But you'll learn that anyway if you keep learning this well ;)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Thanks. Anyway, after looking over the old model, I realized that I needed to make a few adjustments to my cannon's base. Here is the updated version along a higher polly one I made this morning. Its not quite as detailed as most of the other models on the forum, but I feel it mostly captures how I want the cannon to look in the Art Revolution mod.
Attachments
Heavy_Cannon_2.PNG
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

You're fast :)
A few tips on hi-poly modeling, however:
-Use smooth shading
-To get an even sharpness to your edge, use edgeloops instead of just creases
-Floating geometry is your friend, surface details don't need to be attached to the main mesh.
ImageImage
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Jorzi wrote:You're fast :)
A few tips on hi-poly modeling, however:
-Use smooth shading
-To get an even sharpness to your edge, use edgeloops instead of just creases
-Floating geometry is your friend, surface details don't need to be attached to the main mesh.
Thanks for the advice. I've really just been modeling with very basic functions so far, so I guess I'll have to research some of the more advanced ones like edge looping.
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Here's the latest version, complete with smooth shading. I also decided to turn the circular bump on the top into a hatch of some sort. I dunno if it's for an operator or just maintenance, but hey, I think it looks cool. :wink:
Attachments
Heavy_Cannon_3.PNG
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Nicely done! Remember that you can texture-in some details as well, for reduced poly count.
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Nicely done! Remember that you can texture-in some details as well, for reduced poly count.
Well, the low poly is about as simple as it can really get apart from being the original model, I'd say, and my intention is to bake the higher poly onto it. :wink:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Yeah, depending on your workflow, the high poly isn't even supposed to have any textures, it's really just a way of "modeling a texture" instead of painting it, with the added bonus of getting the normal map for free. Really, polycount can be as high as your machine can handle. You can also split the high-poly into multiple objects if you want to reduce the editing workload.
ImageImage