[request]The bumblebee railgun

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

[request]The bumblebee railgun

Post by Iluvalar »

The Bumble bee
Historical : The railgun project was about to close, everybody knew how promising was the technology, but everybody knew how much power that needed to be invested until it become usable. Commanders prefered to invest into cannon and missiles. But before the project was definitively down, researchers where ask to find a use for all that costy, light and resistant metal that was planned for the railgun coils. The alloy was already examined and discarded as an armor because it costed a bit too much. But it was never examined as a armor that can fire projectiles. The bumble bee was born and the whole railgun project was saved !
In game : I plan the bumble bee to replace entirely the needle gun. Instead of betting on the rail damage (which is too low at that point), this new weapon will rely massively on armor upgrades. That will gives players a change to jump in the rail gun branch without losing their research time entirely (having something useful on the battleground).
Request : I'd like to have a pie that depict the same coil then the other railgun, but that would look very huge like a shield.

I'll come with others idea like that in the next days, my goal is to fll holes in the game design and balance. I can't say if those request qill get into the main game, but i'm sure they will be used somewhere in a mod. I dont need right now a super high-poly model. Just something distinctive to make experiment will be enough.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Re: [request]The bumblebee railgun

Post by Slye_Fox »

Quick note:
Railguns don't actually have coils, those are Coilguns.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Depends on the design. Railguns do indeed have coils, whether they are visible or not. The coils make them do their things -- and yes, I *do* know for sure.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

note: next one to argue about rail guns - gets to mow the lawn at the whitehouse for the next century. :twisted:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

*hides*
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

3 extant versions of WZ Rails: upper left is RSGod's from his LOD mod, upper right is Black Project's and lower right is WZ stock... (a composite for comparison & frame of ref going forward).
Attachments
Rails New and Stock Composite.jpg
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Note: the railguns in wz2100 are actually designed like coilguns, because apparently the original creators didn't know the difference either :P
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Depends on the design. Railguns do indeed have coils, whether they are visible or not. The coils make them do their things -- and yes, I *do* know for sure.
No they don't, railguns use rails (hence the name) to transmit a high electrical current through a slug which causes an electro-magnetic field to be generated and propel the slug along it.

Coilguns generate a electro-magnetic field through a series of coils that are never touched by the projectile, this field pulls the slug through the muzzle of the weapon.

Jorzi wrote:Note: the railguns in wz2100 are actually designed like coilguns, because apparently the original creators didn't know the difference either :P
Yeah; weird that, isn't it.
Maybe you could whip up a more accurate version.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:Note: the railguns in wz2100 are actually designed like coilguns, because apparently the original creators didn't know the difference either :P
Yup. :3 For one, where are the 2 rails, each with its opposing magnetic field ? I'm guessing that they may have known the diff but saw the coil depiction as "cooler" looking ? Poetic licence in entertainments is pretty common but for those who favor Hard Sci Fi depictions such licence can be an irritant for a number of reasons.

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Slye_fox: It's possible that goth was referring to the compulsators which are used to provide the high-current impulse for the railgun.
About the poetic/artistic license, as I've been doing artwork for warzone I've realized that, in order to produce a number of assets in a short timeframe, you simply don't have the time to analyze everything from an engineering standpoint unless you sacrifice some of the design and overall style of the units. In the end, many people won't care about how realistic your experimental weapon prototype is if it doesn't look badass :P
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Request : I'd like to have a pie that depict the same coil then the other railgun, but that would look very huge like a shield.
I don't understand... do you need a cannon or a shield? and why huge Like a shield? are the all shields huge? I just can't imagine this.. can you draw a simple picture of what you have in mind?
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I'm just looking for a rail gun that would be use as much for damage prevention the for damage.

But i'd say the idea is over, I have imported the black project's 2120 railgun into my mod NRS+ two weaks ago. I gave up the idea to improve the standard tech tree. Basicaly because i came to the mathematical conclusion that a change of more then 15% would brake the mere possibility of a balance. We would need to brake the reasearch lines and rebuild it in a more consistent and symetrical manner. And that's NRS.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.