wz2100-20120316_100959-Sk-Valley.jpg
wz2100-20120316_100932-Sk-Valley.jpg
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Rockies: cliff vs. gravel problem (:

Post by NoQ »

Hey hey hey ... the right guy is doing the right thing? :D
Could you post the texture (mod?) itself so that we could try and have a look and compare in action?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

NoQ wrote:Hey hey hey ... the right guy is doing the right thing? :D
:wink:
NoQ wrote:Could you post the texture (mod?) itself so that we could try and have a look and compare in action?
sure, I release them as CC0. there are 2 textures, the mixed one that is shown on screenshots and the original texture that I used as source, it could be easily adapted/modified to fit/replace a one from all cliffs, gravel, rock-earth textures. The source one is also mine. http://www.mediafire.com/?gc2a6cmi88ishry

edit: forgot to say, the scale modifier should not be greater than 3.0, 2.5-2.7 will be enough. :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Here is a playable mod (scale 2.7)
cliffs.wz
(610.62 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
I think the scale modifier should be ~2x larger, cause it looks pretty tily at 2.7, and the eye catches the pattern. Or is it because i downscaled it to 512x512 (which is the size of all textures in 3.1_beta6 package)?

Anyway, it does look better and it even fixes this issue! Nice.
Attachments
wz2100-20120316_145754-Critical-Cycle-T1.jpg
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

NoQ wrote:I think the scale modifier should be ~2x larger, cause it looks pretty tily at 2.7, and the eye catches the pattern.
that's just because 1. we have to low number of textures, 10 textures for a tile set is crazy economic for an rts game; i. e. look at sc2 tile sets
2. we have not enough texture decals to variety regular textures and they are still old.
3. we have not enough features like trees etc.
4. if we cannot variety the terrain that good, then we should not have that far camera zoom

100500. remember ,use scale modifier carefully, terrain textures must be scaled in a way to fit a scale of game models otherwise you will get what you can see on gerard's textures
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

MaNGusT wrote:another try
wz2100-20120316_100959-Sk-Valley.jpg
wz2100-20120316_100932-Sk-Valley.jpg
berg's cliffs look better
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

zany wrote:berg's cliffs look better
really? :-D why? ;-)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I'm afraid warzone's renderer doesn't really do the textures justice. It needs a lot of fake shading.
Here's what they look like with proper shading. (realtime screenshot from blender)
Attachments
cliffs_rockies_example.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Jorzi wrote:I'm afraid warzone's renderer doesn't really do the textures justice. It needs a lot of fake shading.
Here's what they look like with proper shading. (realtime screenshot from blender)
I've found that the current textures don't look amazing unless you see them in their full resolution.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hmm you have a point there, the problem is, if we add too much low-frequency detail, the tiling will become more visible.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

effigy wrote:I've found that the current textures don't look amazing unless you see them in their full resolution.
:wink: They have been made with thought in mind that their size will be 2048x2048 and can be decreased via menu for people with small screen resolution and small amount of video memory. So now when devs just kill 'em to 512x512, they look like (sh*t) if you would have blur filter enabled, that is because your screen resolution is high and in game option is set to 2048(may be), they are just stretched.
btw, I still have a backup of textures with the original HD size. :) don't worry, at least my screenshots will look good. XD
Jorzi wrote:I'm afraid warzone's renderer doesn't really do the textures justice. It needs a lot of fake shading.
arrrgh, orthographic view? :stressed:
Last edited by MaNGusT on 09 Apr 2012, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

@MaNGusT: I've been playing with those textures for over a year, it's not just the recent change in dimensions. The problem with lowering texture size is it effects the models, too (and AFAIK they're already quite small).
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

effigy wrote:The problem with lowering texture size is it effects the models, too
:shock: how?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote: So now when devs just kill 'em to 512x512, they look like (sh*t)[/size ]

MaNGusT wrote: effigy wrote:The problem with lowering texture size is it effects the models, too

:shock: how?

As you stated before the changing of the texture size and if you dint notice the textures use index mode = 256 colours...

I assume this is to limit the download size but it badly effects all textures in the game and the appearance of every aspect of the game...CRUSHING images decreases the initial ideas the artists wanted you to see.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Berg wrote:As you stated before the changing of the texture size and if you dint notice the textures use index mode = 256 colours...

I assume this is to limit the download size but it badly effects all textures in the game and the appearance of every aspect of the game...CRUSHING images decreases the initial ideas the artists wanted you to see.
I remember I uploaded to the ticket indexed 2048x2048 textures but they were crushed by me, then dak180 crushed them again, and only then they were commited. now they are resized to 512x512 and they poorly remind of what I was trying to create.
btw I still have a copy of original rgb/8 textures. ^-^