New Cutscenes?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Maroy
Rookie
Rookie

New Cutscenes?

Post by Maroy »

I apologize for the rather vague topic name.

Greetings, Warzone community. I recently started getting serious with Blender due to my game development profession. I don't have much experience with Blender yet, but I'm a quick learner and I know the basics of modeling, animation, and lighting.

This is not a request thread, but rather, an offer.

My question: is there any need for new cutscenes to replace the old ones? Let's face it, compared to the amazing leaps in quality this game has taken over the past few months (you guys are awesome), the cutscenes are getting a bit dated. I'd love to recreate them in higher-quality using more modern software, but, like everything, it takes time and effort I would really rather not waste to learn the software, do all the post production and effects. So, if I did re-create the cutscenes, how would the community respond? Is it worth the effort, and would I have the community's practical support for things like the high-poly models and texturing I'd need to pull this off? I've seen some of the fan-created 3d art, and it's simply breathtaking; way better than I could accomplish by myself.

Thanks in advance to all who read this post, even if you don't provide input.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: New Cutscenes?

Post by lav_coyote25 »

how in-depth are you wanting to go? as for re-creating - i was toying with the idea of doing it live and with some cgi stuff... but - that will need to be talked about. seriously... been thinking about this for years. :annoyed: :)
Maroy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maroy »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by in-depth. Initially I just want to re-create the existing cutscenes shot-by-shot, but eventually branch out a bit, possibly with some ground battle sequences to help flesh out the "war" part of Warzone. I'm learning a lot about lighting and composition in Blender and hope to, at the very least, add a bit of "shinyness" to the sequences, if nothing else.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

there ya go - know what your wanting to do. all that is left , is to do it... :) .
Maroy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maroy »

Haha. I mainly want the community's approval, before I go ahead with a project that'll take me a long time to finish. If it doesn't feel like something that needs to be done, if it isn't going to be appreciated all that much, I have plenty of other things to spend my effort on.

I can definitely do this with enough time, but it will go a lot faster if anybody can contribute some models so I don't have to do it all from scratch. I am not trying to steal anybody's work, but this kind of project yields results much faster as a community effort than a single person starting from scratch.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

blender isn't a good program to re-create cutscenes. It's a free program to create game models. Ofc you can try, but I think that 3ds max gives you better result, I'm talking about lights control and other effects like explosions, fire, water, etc.
Maroy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maroy »

Of course, that assumes you can actually afford 3ds Max. I'm a poor indie game developer, I've barely got enough to live off of. As it is, if you're willing to learn it, Blender can do pretty much everything the other programs can. Just using a much more complex interface ;)
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

If it's the communities approval in the form of a definite "Go-ahead!" I'm afraid you won't get much of it. But once you finish something, be sure you'll get positive feedback. But to get you started: I'd like to see the cut-scenes redone. And as little as I was involved in creating some of Jorzi's models, I'd be fine with them appearing there. Won't speak for Jorzi or Macuser though. They did the real work on those, I just made a few rough sketches and wise-guy comments.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Maroy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maroy »

I figured I might as well show off a quick render. The model hasn't been detailed and textured yet, but I don't think it looks half-bad compared to the original, especially with the lighting. Keep in mind, this is literally my first scene made in Blender, so bear with me.

MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Make something difrient...Not something that similar as in original cutscenes of WZ2100...make it difrient...Not the same look ;-(
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
Maroy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maroy »

Well, as I mentioned before, I'm going to start with recreating the originals, basically just upgrading them, then I'll branch out some. That model isn't even textured yet, so it'll look a bit more realistic once it has logos and such painted on.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Maroy wrote:Well, as I mentioned before, I'm going to start with recreating the originals, basically just upgrading them, then I'll branch out some. That model isn't even textured yet, so it'll look a bit more realistic once it has logos and such painted on.
don't listen MW95. :wink:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:Make something difrient...Not something that similar as in original cutscenes of WZ2100...make it difrient...Not the same look ;-(
Maroy , metal warrior has views that the community always disagrees with.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

As a fellow blender user and warzone player I'm happy to welcome you to the wz community :)
If you're interested in using any of my models (as seen here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5136) in your scenes, just pm me ;)
I've been thinking about remaking the cutscenes myself, but, as always, time is limited. Anyway, you can count on me for support.

@Mangust Don't be so negative about blender :P Since 2.5 it now has a really good volumetrics implementation, complete with a physically based smoke simulator and improved particle system, so explosions shouldn't be a problem. Have you seen the movies "elephant's dream", "big buck bunny" and "sintel", btw? They are short films made entirely in blender ;) (sintel is the latest).
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Maroy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maroy »

Berg wrote:
MetalWarrior95 wrote:Make something difrient...Not something that similar as in original cutscenes of WZ2100...make it difrient...Not the same look ;-(
Maroy , metal warrior has views that the community always disagrees with.
Got it. :P

Jorzi, being able to borrow models would be really great. I looked through your thread, and it's pretty incredible stuff for a little Blender n00b like me. Will definitely get back to you with that PM ;)