Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Re: Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

cnceo wrote:Okay, here is a quick update thanks to NoQs feedback. I guess the contrast is a matter of taste, but you're right. I tried to give it a lot of depth but the results had to much contrast. I hope it's slightly better now. The new sensor texture is also included. Additionally I fixed the research addon model, because one of the addons has a weird rotation in the original model (see screenshot).

http://warzone.1oooo.de/hdtex_131116.wz
I liked too much of these new textures, I've tried to create something like this too, but..... ok.... What is the program/app do you use to do this? Can you tell me?
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Bruno Rodolfo wrote: I liked too much of these new textures, I've tried to create something like this too, but..... ok.... What is the program/app do you use to do this? Can you tell me?
I used Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) because it is free and has all the options you need. But you can use almost any advanced pixel based painting program out there. There is also a good sticky for that: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4448 . Another key is to get a good collection of basic textures like stones, wood, dirt, grass etc. Gimp comes with some basic patterns, but when I want to do something specific I make some photos first to get an impression. A more advanced technique to make textures is to do everything in a top-to-bottom approach from high-poly to low-poly models, which is what I'm trying to figure out now.
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

cnceo wrote:I used Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) because it is free and has all the options you need. But you can use almost any advanced pixel based painting program out there. There is also a good sticky for that: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4448 . Another key is to get a good collection of basic textures like stones, wood, dirt, grass etc. Gimp comes with some basic patterns, but when I want to do something specific I make some photos first to get an impression. A more advanced technique to make textures is to do everything in a top-to-bottom approach from high-poly to low-poly models, which is what I'm trying to figure out now.
Amazing!!!! Now I can make better textures.... thank you.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

cnceo: Was boulder supposed to look like that, or is it some other texture accidentally misplaced? :hmm:
Attachments
boulder.jpg
boulder.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 27680 times
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Hm, nah. I started working on the boulders, but that was kind of unfinished. Here is an update:
(http://warzone.1oooo.de/hdtex_131207.wz - check for page-29-features-arizona.png)
Attachments
boulders.jpg
boulders.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 27655 times
Last edited by cnceo on 15 Dec 2013, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I've always thought there was something really odd about those rocks. They pop up from the terrain like some kind of bad movie props. The new improved textures make this movie prop effect even worse, I think. They just don't feel like part of the same terrain. Not sure what can be done about that, though...
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Well the models are basically simple low poly cones, so they naturally don't resemble boulders very well... AR has new boulder models which look a lot more like a rock and bould be included. Otherwise I would simply replace the boulder textures by the old textures, but scaling up the textures always make the edges of the models more pronounced, so I'm not even sure if that helps.
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Some people pointed out they are concerned about hue missmatches between different buildings. I tried to fix this, but partially this issue turns up due to the game's lighting and the the higher resolution makes it more obvious than for the previous textures.

If you have issues with the texture hue or luminoscity, it would be great if you can comment on this update:

http://warzone.1oooo.de/hdtex_131214.wz

P.S. there are also some UV issues which I am aware of, but this will require some changes to the *.pie which I want to do after the texpages are all right.
Attachments
Hue-issues-test.jpg
Last edited by cnceo on 15 Dec 2013, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I just fired up the latest release (3.1.1) The new textures and the funky rocks make the game look noticeably worse. I'm surprised it went out like this.
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

So here is an update:

http://warzone.1oooo.de/hdtex_131215.wz

This update includes:

* Fixed HQ *.pie (faces and UV coordinates - see screenshot)
* New boulders (look at the screenshot from the post above)
* Adjusted colors for HQ, research and factory buildings (see previous screenshot)
* TCmasked VTOL rearming pads

The UV coordinates for the factories (tank and cyborg) need to be fixed as well, but when I do that with blender I'm breaking the animations of the rotor, so maybe someone who has experience with the texture animation could help?

And a remark: I edited more than 21 texpages in total. I welcome criticism, because it helps me to progress. However statements like: "the textures are horrible","there are some issues with the colors" or "did you even test them at all?" do not help because they are not specific enough. Also I'm not deciding what gets into the game and all I show here are suggestions. Appart from that I've spent by now many hours working on the textures for anyone to enjoy and certainly didn't want to ruin the game experience for anyone :cry: .
Attachments
HQ-newUV.jpg
HQ-newUV.jpg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 27515 times
IgorBrehm
Trained
Trained

Post by IgorBrehm »

I think the game is much better now with the new(better) textures in game =) at least now I know what is everything in the building like power cables and stuff...
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

cnceo never mind them =P to say that is bad appear a lot, but to say that this good are few ...
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

The only thing I disliked was that now I have to redo the textures for my mod = P. ..... well, I have done it twice, then it will be easy the third
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

I did this before the 3.1.1 version, what do you think of it?]
Better texture on radar
Better texture on radar
Wall color, Anti-Sat, Bunker, Trucks and the "blue bar" of the research center
Wall color, Anti-Sat, Bunker, Trucks and the "blue bar" of the research center
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Thx guys, I really appreciate that. Good stuff Bruno. The radar is perfect. The bunker might need some more details. Add some noise or even better: blend some concrete texture to it.