Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Post by vexed »

Assuming you have your texture size set to 1024 or higher in the options, then, if you mean the border area is chopped , that was done to fix another issue with seams.

Here is the thread on it.. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2383 and lots and lots of other talk about things. :)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

There was a lot of back and forth and hacks in relation to those textures, and I would not be surprised to hear of bugs. Which version of Warzone are you working with?
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Per: 3.1 stable release
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Here is my first attempt to redraw the building bases in High-Res. Just wanted to share that to get some advice on what to improve and if you like the general direction. I think the most difficult part is to preserve the type of dirty/broken style of the original textures. Btw: Is the middle part of the building-base textures ever shown ingame?
Attachments
page-8-player-buildings-base-1.jpg
page-8-player-buildings-base-1.jpg (77.7 KiB) Viewed 26295 times
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

cnceo wrote:Here is my first attempt to redraw the building bases in High-Res. Just wanted to share that to get some advice on what to improve and if you like the general direction. I think the most difficult part is to preserve the type of dirty/broken style of the original textures. Btw: Is the middle part of the building-base textures ever shown ingame?
Looks nice! The middle part is never really visible, so you don't need to pay much attention to detail there...
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

So all baseplates are now hd, as shown by non-HD screenshots :P

I've send them to Jorzi, for including into the AR mod to get some user feedback first. But if you want to test them just send me a pm and I'll send the textures to anyone who's interessted. The total filesize of the uncompressed textures is ~10MB (see previous post).

The textures are based on the old ones and use some of the new groundtextures respectively from 3.1. Consequently all textures inherit the GPL licence from the previous textures.

Stay tuned for more HD stuff soon.
Attachments
HD-Sk-HighGround.jpg
HD-Sk-Startup.jpg
HD-Sk-UrbanChasm.jpg
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

urban features improved: cars, buildings, rooftops & weird air floating pixel things (added a background which imho looks 1000x better). The thing in the middle which looks like a robot going ape sh*t is just not worth doing anything about it. I think it's just used in one wreckbuilding but still almost invisble. And licence is again GPL (is it?). Updated: 07.Oct.13
Attachments
page-31-features-urban.png
Last edited by cnceo on 07 Oct 2013, 22:50, edited 2 times in total.
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

page-6.png - some tiles can go right into page-29. Some tiles are still a bit blured and need a real redrawing. License is GPL
Attachments
page-6.png
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

You're very productive and those are very high quality textures, I can see that you know how to optimize stuff for textures and not just as images.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

All right! Here is another update. There is room for optimization, especially with the cars and trucks, but they are so rarely used in most maps and maybe it's better to concentrate on some other stuff, like probably the effect textures. Just wanted to give another quick update. License is GPL. Just in case anyone want to continue working on something and needs raw data, just pm me.
Attachments
page-29-features-arizona.png
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

wz2100-20131005_173700-SUB_2_1.png
wz2100-20131005_173700-SUB_2_1.png (396.06 KiB) Viewed 26105 times
wz2100-20131005_172647-CAM_2A.png
wz2100-20131005_172647-CAM_2A.png (433.96 KiB) Viewed 26105 times
:3
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@cnceo I see you've interpreted the boulders as stone piles instead, is this intentional? Anyway, looking good, I'll try them all out tonight.
@vexed: seeing mostly berg's building textures on those screenshots, cnceo mostly renewed the cars and some smaller structures :wink:
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

@Jorzi: Jep, that was intentional. The reason was, that to me the boulder model just doesn't look a like boulder but more like a pile of something. Not sure if the stone piles are really better though :hmm:
@Vexed: True what Jorzi said. But some of the rooftops have been improved by me. However, I'll try to rework one of the building fronts (the one with the elongated brown windows).
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

I did a quick update on the urban textures. Here is the result ingame (see my previous post for the updated texpage). I'm occupied with a lot of other stuff this week, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to continue. But here is a .wz file that contains all my changes (including the baseplates): http://warzone.1oooo.de/hdtex_131007.wz Concerning authorship and license: GPLv2 , author: Christian Scholz
Attachments
wz2100-Sk-UrbanDuel-2.jpg
wz2100-Sk-UrbanDuel-2.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 26052 times
wz2100-Sk-UrbanDuel.jpg
wz2100-Sk-UrbanDuel.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 26059 times
Last edited by cnceo on 14 Oct 2013, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Jorzi wrote:@cnceo I see you've interpreted the boulders as stone piles instead, is this intentional? Anyway, looking good, I'll try them all out tonight.
@vexed: seeing mostly berg's building textures on those screenshots, cnceo mostly renewed the cars and some smaller structures :wink:
Right, just showing some progress. :)