Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Post by Staff »

These textures are really very low quality, anyone care to try to improve them ?

These are 256x256, we could use higher resolution version of these. 512x512 would be a good start.
The Urban ones look very poor. :(
page-9-player-buildings-bases-urban.png
page-6-features-arizona.png
page-6-features-urban.png
page-7-barbarians-arizona.png
page-7-barbarians-kevlar.png
page-8-player-buildings-bases-rockies.png
page-8-player-buildings-bases-urban.png
page-9-player-buildings-bases.png
page-9-player-buildings-bases-rockies.png
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Post by Buginator »

wz2100-20101023_003916-Sk-UrbanDuel.jpg
... need I say more ?
and it ends here.
zarulhairee
Trained
Trained

Post by zarulhairee »

errr..... yes? lol
ENEMY OF ENEMY WITHIN ENEMY THAT LIES BETWEEN ENEMY THAT TRIES TO UNFOLD AN ENEMY SO THAT THE ENEMY WILL THINK IT'S ENEMY IS AWAY FROM THE ENEMY HOME WORLD THEN AFTER THE ENEMY WORLD

wanna add me on Google talk? go ahead :D

[email protected]
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Actually some of those have been done already by colditz (unfortunately he has not been around in a while :( ) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4644&hilit=colditz
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Some progress made on base plates + features, universal feature support were added, so mappers will not have problems placing desert features in a urban map or urban features on a rockies map & etc on future Warzone 3.0.x releases if implemented in-game.

Both textures are 1024x1024 without blur, seems a little pixelized, but looks better than the blurred 256x256 ones.

Scavenger textures are not done yet. Coming soon.
Base Structure Plate Textures Improved + Urban's Factory Base Plate Fixed
Base Structure Plate Textures Improved + Urban's Factory Base Plate Fixed
Universal Features Support Added +  Desert/Urban/Rockies Feature Textures Improved
Universal Features Support Added + Desert/Urban/Rockies Feature Textures Improved
Urban Building Textures Improved
Urban Building Textures Improved
BP
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

good work black project. :)

have considered modeling urban buildings with missing sections or partly broken down from their full height ?

universal feature much wanted by mappers and will make for some fresh map looks.
:lecture:

"Almost all our faults are more pardonable than the methods we resort to, to hide them." - Duc de la Rochefoucauld
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

Buginator wrote:The Urban ones look very poor. :(
this is true, so I'm sending this picture made by Black Project with some changes I have for your topic!
page-9-player-buildings-bases-urban.png
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

macuser wrote:Actually some of those have been done already by colditz (unfortunately he has not been around in a while :( ) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4644&hilit=colditz
To get this we need to create new models(low and high poly) and bake normal, AO textures.
Buginator suggested to redraw the textures only. maybe it will help but I think that without right shadows(AO) it will look like berg's "super new" textures. :|

about Colditz... He is not here because he said the 1 phrase a long time ago: "If I spend my time on recreating the assets for WZ2100, there should be some efforts to change the game code or file format to accept these assets. Otherwise it's demotivating."

I don't see any efforts... nobody even didn't start to write patch and didn't create a ticket for that.
Wolftrak
Trained
Trained

Post by Wolftrak »

MaNGusT wrote:I don't see any efforts... nobody even didn't start to write patch and didn't create a ticket for that.
What exactly is needed? Choice of a file format and code to interpret it? Just asking.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

its harder & more time consuming to achieve the desired effects (not super new looking) without the code changes is what it boils down to.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

MaNGusT wrote:
macuser wrote:Actually some of those have been done already by colditz (unfortunately he has not been around in a while :( ) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4644&hilit=colditz
To get this we need to create new models(low and high poly) and bake normal, AO textures.
Buginator suggested to redraw the textures only. maybe it will help but I think that without right shadows(AO) it will look like berg's "super new" textures. :|

about Colditz... He is not here because he said the 1 phrase a long time ago: "If I spend my time on recreating the assets for WZ2100, there should be some efforts to change the game code or file format to accept these assets. Otherwise it's demotivating."

I don't see any efforts... nobody even didn't start to write patch and didn't create a ticket for that.
The problem is, we don't have enough people... I try, but it isn't going fast enough for everything to be done. :stressed:
It *will* get done, but I don't have a firm timetable for that to be done.

I thought that new, higher resolution textures would help so that it doesn't look as bad as it does now.
and it ends here.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I'm no coder (well I do a bit of python but that's all) but doesn't the current trunk already have opengl shaders at least for the tcmask feature?
What would be needed for our new models is normal and specular map support.
Is this possible to implement without extensive changes to the drawing code? What exactly is required?
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

[deleted]
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Jorzi wrote:I'm no coder (well I do a bit of python but that's all) but doesn't the current trunk already have opengl shaders at least for the tcmask feature?
What would be needed for our new models is normal and specular map support.
Is this possible to implement without extensive changes to the drawing code? What exactly is required?
Both trunk (which is now dead, we are not using svn anymore, we are using git, so trunk is now called master) and pre-3.0 (will be 3.0 soonish) both use shaders if available.
If they are not available, then there is a fallback to fixed pipeline. This only happens at load time.

Having a fallback for bump mapping / normal mapping / xyz mapping shaders is very difficult, and would mean that the openGL requirements would need to be increased. I don't have a problem with this personally, since I have hardware that can handle it.

Adding in those shaders isn't that hard, but adding it to the current rendering engine would require lots of changes.
and it ends here.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Buginator wrote:Having a fallback for bump mapping / normal mapping / xyz mapping shaders is very difficult, and would mean that the openGL requirements would need to be increased. I don't have a problem with this personally, since I have hardware that can handle it.
can it be together? I mean, make it in this way -> engine checks the hardware, if the video card supports the needed OGL version then the "normal mapping" option will be available to enable, if doesn't then it will be gray(unavailable) and player will see only a regular textures and engine will use a lower OGL version.
Adding in those shaders isn't that hard, but adding it to the current rendering engine would require lots of changes.
especially get rid of wrf's dependence, at least for textures that is used by models. It is the most time consuming sh*t when I want to test a new textures ingame. :x
Last edited by MaNGusT on 24 Oct 2010, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.